What Do You Line A Belly Band With?

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

Billy has been having accidents in the house so I bought a belly band for him the other day. He can no longer wait 6 hours from the time I leave to go to work to the time dd gets home from school. I bought some poise maximum absorbancy incontinence (sp) pads but wondered what other people used.

The ones I have used were pre-loaded with terrycloth wadding.

Diapers use cotton batting, mixed with polyacrylamide polymer (SAPs), which expand upon absorption to hold several hundred times their own weight in water. They can be purchased by the 50# sack for all kinds of purposes, ranging from agriculture to magic tricks (turning a glass of water to solid- or pouring milk into a hat, and not have it come out).

If holding it is a problem, you might consider the time of day at which you feed; the kidneys pass the salt out, and kibble is loaded with salt. Feeding raw helps, but is prohibitive (cost, logistics) in some households. So if you feed a large meal when you get home, and a smaller meal before bedtime, you might be able to toy with when the salt gets cleared by the kidneys- and end the accidents. Maybe.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

When we first got Fuzzy, I lined the band with small white towels. A utility towel; the kind you buy in a big package at Costco.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Some of the bands I have are lined with batting and the others have a pocket for a terry wash cloth. However, on the occasions he has a BIG accident, neither of these would hold what he puts out. So, just so I don't have to be washing a belly band all the time (he has frequent smaller accidents), I use the equivalent of the Poise pads - I get the Wal-Mart version ... Options pads. Just today he got outside with his band on (workers let him out in the yard) - he did a 'full pee' in the band/pad ... not a drip out, but he did get the band wet thus needing washing.

Cool's 'problem' is incontenience - it's very random and unpredictable.

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

I forgot to add --- I cut the elastic out of the pads when I use them. The elastic would help curve the pad around the body (but the band takes care of that actually), but when I remove it to let him out, if the pad is clean/dry, I don't change it and if it has the elastic, it starts to curl up, so I just cut it out/off.

Lee: (RR's Busy): Oswald Cobblepot X Lively Layla (10/14/97 - 01/22/10) ; Cool: (P's Cool Runner): P's Raising Cain X My Cool Runner (3/3/97 - 12/26/09) ; Nutty: (Itsanutterbutter): State of the Art X Itsalmostsaintly ; Waterproof: (KB's Waterproof): Oshkosh Slammer X Special Lady* ; Sadie: my sweet silly girl: 5/5/98 - 11/26/05

Guest greyt2love

When I first staretd using belly bands for Rex, I was told to use a sanitary pad as a liner. Well, he pee'd right through those ! Then I used baby diapers with all the elastic trimmed off, but now use Serenity Ultra pads. They have changed the name now. It is "Heavy regular Length" rather than Ultra, and they are 56 count. They fit perfectly and hold a lot! I always buy them when they are on sale, so not a great expense. No more, actually than when I bought store brand diapers and had to spend lots of time trimmimg them.

Serenity Ultra! But I see above from Deb's post they have a new name! Thankfully, I no longer need them, but a human "ultra" incontinence pad is fantastic! The peel and stick kind.

Someone above mentioned cutting the elastic sides--I never do that, those sides help the pad curve right around the "plumbing," and George never had a leak and believe me, there were days when that pad was very heavy with his pee!

Thankfully we cured whatever it was that was ailing him for so long--and I don't know what I would have done without those Serenity pads!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I think what you use will depend on why the dog is urinating inside. If it is behavorial then a sanitary napkin or cloth might suffice because they will usually stop peeing when they feel the wetness against their skin, which they do not like. However if it is because of a UTI or bladder infection they are going to have the urge to empty their bladder throughout the day. Nadir has been having a problem with incontinence lately which is tied to a combination of bladder infection and back problems he's experiencing. I know several people have had good success with the Serenity pads but Nadir would consistently overflow these and I would also find a puddle on the floor. I even used the heavier duty more absorbent ones for Night-time. What has helped with the overflow is I bought several of those cheap flat waterproof mattress pads for less than $10.00. I lay one down in the area where he usually stands to urninate and also line all the dog beds with them because he's actually loss control of his bladder while he was laying down. They have kept the floors clean and the dog bed padding clean and protected. And I just through them in the washing machine for cleaning.

How old is Billy? Unless its age related incontinence I would have him checked out by a vet to see if there's a UTI or bladder infection causing the problem.

Judy,

Mom to Greyhounds Nadir & Beanie,

and American Bulldog Bruiser

Guest WarmheartedPups
Serenity Ultra! But I see above from Deb's post they have a new name! Thankfully, I no longer need them, but a human "ultra" incontinence pad is fantastic! The peel and stick kind.

Someone above mentioned cutting the elastic sides--I never do that, those sides help the pad curve right around the "plumbing," and George never had a leak and believe me, there were days when that pad was very heavy with his pee!

Thankfully we cured whatever it was that was ailing him for so long--and I don't know what I would have done without those Serenity pads!

Totally ditto everything....these were a life saver...and no leaking.

The ones I have used were pre-loaded with terrycloth wadding.

Diapers use cotton batting, mixed with polyacrylamide polymer (SAPs), which expand upon absorption to hold several hundred times their own weight in water. They can be purchased by the 50# sack for all kinds of purposes, ranging from agriculture to magic tricks (turning a glass of water to solid- or pouring milk into a hat, and not have it come out).

If holding it is a problem, you might consider the time of day at which you feed; the kidneys pass the salt out, and kibble is loaded with salt. Feeding raw helps, but is prohibitive (cost, logistics) in some households. So if you feed a large meal when you get home, and a smaller meal before bedtime, you might be able to toy with when the salt gets cleared by the kidneys- and end the accidents. Maybe.

Sorry to hijack.... but I ALWAYS wondered how they did that hat trick :lol I can't wait to show my 9 year old (she loves magic tricks! )

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest houndlover
I think what you use will depend on why the dog is urinating inside. If it is behavorial then a sanitary napkin or cloth might suffice because they will usually stop peeing when they feel the wetness against their skin, which they do not like. However if it is because of a UTI or bladder infection they are going to have the urge to empty their bladder throughout the day. Nadir has been having a problem with incontinence lately which is tied to a combination of bladder infection and back problems he's experiencing. I know several people have had good success with the Serenity pads but Nadir would consistently overflow these and I would also find a puddle on the floor. I even used the heavier duty more absorbent ones for Night-time. What has helped with the overflow is I bought several of those cheap flat waterproof mattress pads for less than $10.00. I lay one down in the area where he usually stands to urninate and also line all the dog beds with them because he's actually loss control of his bladder while he was laying down. They have kept the floors clean and the dog bed padding clean and protected. And I just through them in the washing machine for cleaning.

How old is Billy? Unless its age related incontinence I would have him checked out by a vet to see if there's a UTI or bladder infection causing the problem.

Judy,

Mom to Greyhounds Nadir & Beanie,

and American Bulldog Bruiser

I really like the idea of the waterproof mattress pads in addition to the belly band. I had been putting down piddle pads but they don't seem to stay in one place (and the cats like to play with them. LOL).

Billy is 11.5yrs old and is early stage kidney failure. This was diagnosed 3 yrs ago with an ERD and Billy just had an abdominal ultrasound about a month ago which confirmed this. I had a urinalysis done on him a few months ago and there was no UTI or infection. I do not think that his problem is behavioral and I don't think that it is a UTI or infection but I will talk to my vet about it. When dd got home from school today Billy was completely dry but he had accidents every day last week and Monday and Tuesday of this week too. Is 11.5 yrs old too young to have incontinence problems? I just assumed that the peeing problems that he was having was due to his kidney problems.