Easiest Way To Crush Huge Glucosamine Tablet?

Guest EmilyAnne

Guest EmilyAnne

We started giving Riley glucosamine today. Unfortunately crushing the pill was difficult. What is the easiest way to crush it? Riley is a more difficult one to pill, so I think crushing and mixing with a lttle cottage cheese would be best for him.

Guest Greensleeves

They make pill crushers. Walgreen's carries a nice one that's a combination pill splitter/crusher. I can't find a pic online, but the business end of it looks pretty much like this:

dl6206a_pill-crusher.jpg

You put the pill in the receptacle (I usually broke/split it into smaller bits) and then screw down the lid. The force/torque of the screw pressing down on the pill crushes it to powder. As you do it the first time, you'll be completely skeptical, and think, "This is stupid; it will never work," and then you open up the thing, and poof! Powder! :lol

We used it to crush Nelly's huge vitamins, which are a lot bigger than a Cosequin tablet. I think it was about $5.00.

Guest EmilyAnne
They make pill crushers. Walgreen's carries a nice one that's a combination pill splitter/crusher. I can't find a pic online, but the business end of it looks pretty much like this:

dl6206a_pill-crusher.jpg

You put the pill in the receptacle (I usually broke/split it into smaller bits) and then screw down the lid. The force/torque of the screw pressing down on the pill crushes it to powder. As you do it the first time, you'll be completely skeptical, and think, "This is stupid; it will never work," and then you open up the thing, and poof! Powder! :lol

We used it to crush Nelly's huge vitamins, which are a lot bigger than a Cosequin tablet. I think it was about $5.00.

Ah! We just got a brand spanking new WalGreen's only a few miles from here and we already had it planned that we were gonna go check it out tomorrow, so we'll pick up a pill crusher while we are there! :)

Thanks!

The pill crusher works very well. We got one when we had to crush up Emmy's pills and put them in her food. It crushes the pills into a fine powder that you can just add to their food.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

pill splitters/crushers that I have had work well for about a minute and then they self destruct. I would just use a baggie and a hammer. I would put the pill in the corner of the baggie and twist the baggie around the pill. One whack of the hammer and the deed is done. Then I would cut the corner of the baggie off and sprinkle it into whatever delivery method I have chosen.

The glucosamine I have given my hounds comes in powdered form and I just sprinkle it on their food.

Many glucosamine tablets are made to be chewable and are flavored with various things to entice dogs to eat them. I've certainly never had any trouble getting a dog to eat them as part of their meal.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I use a mortar and pestle and can grind in to a very fine powder. I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond in the kitchen section and it wasn't to expensive.

I also use the pictured pill crusher at work and given the size of the glucosamine I would recommend the M & P.

blackgreys5.jpg

, Phoenix, Okie, Casey, and Ellie the Galga; with Aggie, Alexa, Bear,Cody, Gianni V., Missy B, Babette, Bernice, and BooBoo at the Bridge

Check out Claudia's (Greyhound Gang) glucosamine - it's in powdered form, prices are good, and she sells a bunch of other supplements, too. Best of all, the profits go toward the hounds! :)

When I had my pack of "oldies" it's what I used. Just sprinkled it on their food.

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Check out Claudia's (Greyhound Gang) glucosamine - it's in powdered form, prices are good, and she sells a bunch of other supplements, too. Best of all, the profits go toward the hounds! :)

When I had my pack of "oldies" it's what I used. Just sprinkled it on their food.

I think Claudia's prices are much better than most brand name supplements, and it's pure glucosamine so your dog is getting the real stuff. She also has MSM, Chondroitin and Vit C that work well with glucosamine.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

This is your best bet. We've been using all stuff from Claudia. It's 100% pure and ALL the proceeds goes to the hounds.

Check out her website for next time.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FullMetalFrank

I'd probably use a mortar and pestle. Frank's glucosamine/chondroitin is a liver flavored tablet and he actually goes to the counter at bedtime and waits for his two tablets; he snarfs them down with great delight! He thinks they are a treat, I have also used the powder that just goes on their food (and i mixed it in my coffee, too!)

I've just always used a regular pill spliter, and cut the pieces several times. After a few times, it gets powdery anyway, and then I just mix it with some wet food. It's always worked fine for me.

FYI there are glucosamines out there that are powder form.

Good luck!