Frontline Plus

Guest Gert

1. Anyone use the dose for 23-44 lb dogs on their bigger dogs with success?? My greys are both 70+ lbs.

It seems I've read of folks using Advantage this way with success. I'd like to use as little flea meds on them as possible....but, living in Florida, it seems it's a year-round battle!

2. I've also read on here somewhere where some of you with 2 greys split one Frontline (45-88 lb dosage) between your greys. Can anyone who does this share how often they have to use it?? Would every two weeks be too often??

We use the full dose on all our hounds. The large (purple package). We only use it when we go to our PA house. we don't need it for our main home.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I tried the splitting routine when I only had two hounds and it didn't work for us here in FL. I reluctantly went back to a full dose for all, but I try and stretch it out until I see my "itchy" dog getting uncomfortable. I can usually wait for 5 weeks in the summer and 6 in the winter. I treat the cats at the same time and everyone is flea-free.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest longdogs
1. Anyone use the dose for 23-44 lb dogs on their bigger dogs with success?? My greys are both 70+ lbs.

It seems I've read of folks using Advantage this way with success. I'd like to use as little flea meds on them as possible....but, living in Florida, it seems it's a year-round battle!

2. I've also read on here somewhere where some of you with 2 greys split one Frontline (45-88 lb dosage) between your greys. Can anyone who does this share how often they have to use it?? Would every two weeks be too often??

I've split doses between greys, giving them half a dose each every 2 weeks rather than 1 dose each for a month. It worked but of course there is no saving. I only had one dose handy when I discovered the fleas.

The best saving is only to use these products when you need to, namely when they actually have caught fleas and the problem isn't eliminated by one or two doses of Capstar.

I've split doses between greys, giving them half a dose each every 2 weeks rather than 1 dose each for a month. It worked but of course there is no saving. I only had one dose handy when I discovered the fleas.

The best saving is only to use these products when you need to, namely when they actually have caught fleas and the problem isn't eliminated by one or two doses of Capstar.

I really wasn't concerned about savings....I was just wondering if half the dose every two weeks would work any better than a full dose once a month. Now that I have 2 hounds, that's an option. :)

Guest longdogs

I really wasn't concerned about savings....I was just wondering if half the dose every two weeks would work any better than a full dose once a month. Now that I have 2 hounds, that's an option. :)

I suspect it does work better to apply less but more frequently. All I can say for sure is, it works. I haven't done any trials to see if it is actually more effective but I think the doses are reasonably generous and also tend to decrease in effectiveness over time. In the absence of any proof, I'd still be inclined to back the protection given by a freshly-applied half-dose against the residual protection from a full dose applied a fortnight earlier.

Guest CBDTherapyDogs

Here's the PROPER breakdown of the Frontline Plus - straight from the horses mouth, so to say, the Novartis rep

the 89-132lb vial is 4CC's in volume.

Dogs up to 22lbs get .7CC's

Dogs 22 to 44lbs get 1.4CC's

Dogs 44 to 88lbs get 2.7 CC's

Dogs 89 to 132lbs get 4CC's

If you choose to split vials, please pour the fipronil into an airtight container and use a 3CC syringe (NO NEEDLE) to draw up the correct amount.

I don't think it is safe to apply it more than once a month, no matter what the amount you use. I use one vial for two dogs in off season. One vial for each dog when we go camping or to the beach.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I found a flea and have treated the house, and the dog with frontline, as directed 2 days after his flea bath as told and I found another flea on him today. I am not sure what I should do. I checked with frontline and they say it kills within 48 hours, but it does not seem to be working. I am going to bomb the house and bath him again in the am, but not sure what else to do. Any ideas? Never had a flea before.

I found a flea and have treated the house, and the dog with frontline, as directed 2 days after his flea bath as told and I found another flea on him today. I am not sure what I should do. I checked with frontline and they say it kills within 48 hours, but it does not seem to be working. I am going to bomb the house and bath him again in the am, but not sure what else to do. Any ideas? Never had a flea before.

Well, unfortunately, I think mine are picking them up outside. I've treated my yard with nematodes, and that did seem to help some. But, I'm still finding fleas. :angry:

I just chipped and I only had 1 Frontline left, so, I had to split it between the two dogs.

I do believe the Frontline works. So, my guess is that you're picking them up outside, too....and they will most likely die once on your treated dog for a bit.

I believe if you read the fine print each tube is supposed to kill fleas for up to 3 months (it even says that on their website), it won't do all the other stuff, but I can verify that my dogs get 3 months out of each tube.

After reading this, I'm going to try splitting a tube between Carl and Sheila, they are due for theirs about now. It should carry them all the way through winter and into spring. He needs it because he is going to be boarded, Sheila likes to be outside and picks them up from cats and other critters in our yard.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I hope you all don't mind if I go through my "Flea" routine with you. Frontline Plus and Advantage are great products and they do kill fleas if applied properly, but they are not a repellant.

Those of us with Greys do not have a problem with the product getting on the skin like the long hair dogs. When applied to the skin it travels through the sebaceous oil glands and when the flea comes in contact it will kill them.

But.....Momma Flea can lay up to 2000 eggs in her lifetime and the larvae can live in the environment for a number of years. When the conditions are right they will hatch about every 7-10 days.

Treating the house and yard with a product that has a larvacide will help. Every walk around the block, every visit to the dog park means exposure to more fleas.

Sometimes us humans are the carriers, we collect dirt in the tred of our shoes, come home...the dirt falls off in our carpets and on our floors....that dirt can contain flea larvae. To be effective all pets in a household need to be on product.

This year has been bad for fleas and ticks, the products that work are not cheap and we tend to want to stretch the treatments. Those of you who use Sentinel as a heartworm prevention also have the added benefit of the "flea birth" control. Any female flea that is exposed to Sentinel in the bloodstream will lay eggs that can never hatch.

Ok I will get off my soapbox now, but I will pass on that Merial (Frontline)has raised the price of its products again Dec.1. That is two increases in one year ughhhhhhhhhhh. So you might want to stock up. They are still offering buy 6 doses and get one free.

Some of us can remember the years before Frontline, Advantage etc. ....all we had were sprays, dips and powders and they were just temporary.

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

I believe if you read the fine print each tube is supposed to kill fleas for up to 3 months (it even says that on their website), it won't do all the other stuff, but I can verify that my dogs get 3 months out of each tube.

Yeah, I've heard that, but, I can't see it working for 3 months in Florida. Plus, it only works for 1 month on ticks and both fleas and ticks have been horrible this year!!

But.....Momma Flea can lay up to 2000 eggs in her lifetime and the larvae can live in the environment for a number of years. When the conditions are right they will hatch about every 7-10 days.

This year has been bad for fleas and ticks, the products that work are not cheap and we tend to want to stretch the treatments. Those of you who use Sentinel as a heartworm prevention also have the added benefit of the "flea birth" control. Any female flea that is exposed to Sentinel in the bloodstream will lay eggs that can never hatch.

According to the website, Frontline Plus is supposed to kill the eggs and larvae, too.

ETA: I'm not really complaining about the effectiveness of Frontline, because you're right, I remember the days before these products, too!!

Edited by Gert

Here in Dallas these summer most folks haven't been getting a month. The vets say that this years huge crop of fleas is Frontline resistant and re having people switch to other products.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg