Prayers For Brooke

Guest vtmom

Today when we were out for several hours my hounds escaped their pen and they got into the pantry. Some one ate two bags of chocolate chips. We did not know until several hours later. My female Brooke is now vomiting. I want to take her to the vet but I do not even know where an emergency vet is around here. The other problem is we hve no credit cards and we unemployed. I have $25 to my name. I do not know what to do. My MIL would probably loan us money but she is out of the state until tomorrow. Please pray that everything will be ok and if she needs a vet we will find the financial means to get here there somehow.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FullMetalFrank

Oh dear... I do not know what to say, hopefully someone will chime in soon who has some first aid suggestions. Calm down; find a phone book and look up an emergency vet. Call them and explain your situation; I would not wait. Was it dark or milk chocolate they got?

I am sorry I have no advise but sending hugs and prayers. Please keep us posted. :grouphug:grouphug:hope:hope:hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Oh crap! :( Sending lots of prayers. :hope:hope:hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Give the suspected hound a tablespoon or so of hydrogen peroxide. If it has only been a couple of hours they should vomit up the chocolate. The good thing is that milk chocolate is much less toxic to dogs than baker's chocolate. In the meantime look up an e-vet and call them. Advice over the phone is free.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

You need to take Brooke to the e-vet. Vomiting is one of the symptoms of chocolate toxicity, and if she did eat both bags, that would be enough to be potentially fatal. See here for more information

Call your regular vet - if they have an answering machine, they should give information about the nearest e-vet. Are you located in Vermont as your board name suggests?

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

We are trying to hunt down a vet that will see us. We are on the phone now trying to beg and borrow money. We moved this summer to Florida and have not found a vet yet. I will update when I can......

You need to take Brooke to the e-vet. Vomiting is one of the symptoms of chocolate toxicity, and if she did eat both bags, that would be enough to be potentially fatal. See here for more information

Call your regular vet - if they have an answering machine, they should give information about the nearest e-vet. Are you located in Vermont as your board name suggests?

We are trying to hunt down a vet that will see us. We are on the phone now trying to beg and borrow money. We moved this summer to Florida and have not found a vet yet. I will update when I can......

Okay, so what is your location? Someone in the area may be able to help with finding a vet.

Also, try CareCredit - I know you said potential help is out of town, but is there someone who would be willing to co-sign with you? It is an online application, they would not have to be there in person - just need their information. Also, there is a veterinary service locater on that website.

Edited by dmswartzfager

Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Sending prayers everything is ok. Please update us. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I don't know where in FL you are but I am here too, in Naples (SWFL). If there is anything I can do to help (other than $$, we are broke too) I would be happy to. Prayers for your sweet girl!

gallery_16678_2973_7526.jpg

TNT Star Wars X Oshkosh Enigma King's Pedigree
King's sisters: Oshkosh Updraft, Dazie and forever in our hearts Oshkosh Ultra, Lily (3/7/03-2/18/13)

I think baking chocolate is the kind that is so toxic to animals.

Baking chocolate is more toxic only in the sense that it doesn't take as much to be deadly because the compound is so concentrated. Regular milk chocolate, if eaten in large enough quantities, is also deadly. So for a 70 pound dog, average greyhound size, about 29 ounces of milk chocolate is toxic - and two bags of chocolate chips would be about 32 ounces, right? (I'm also assuming these weren't the semi-sweet chips - in which case, the toxic dose is even less.) For baking chocolate, it's only 3.2 ounces for a toxic dose for the same size dog.

Anyway, hope Brooke is okay.

Usually, chocolate chips are the semi-sweet morsels, so those are MORE toxic than milk chocolate, but NOT AS toxic as baker's chocolate (which tastes disgusting). Hope you're able to get her to the vet or at least get some peroxide in her to make her vomit it all up.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I PM'ed vtmom to let her know how concerned we all are for her girl & to ask her to check in.

More prayers going out to Brooke that she is now okay!

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge