We Are 3 Days Post Chemo And Still Not Eating.

RobinM

I'm not looking for suggestions, as they have all been exhusted. She will only eat what she likes and she doesn't like a lot of food.

I did speak to my vet who said she is concerned, not very. But she is. IF she doesn't start eating by Saturday, she will have to go into the vet for more bloods to make sure her WBC and kidneys are OK after the chemo.

The only thing she is eating is dried chicken tenders and other cookies. No food or kibble. Not good.

I feel like pulling my hair out. I still think she is nauseous even after the anti nausea pill.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EmilyAnne

When did she start the anti-nasuea med? If she had already been nauseas a few days, perhaps it will take a little longer than usual for the anti nausea med to kick in well enough? (I'm totally guessing here) Are you able to get your hands on any venison?

Give her whatever she'll eat. If it's just chicken jerky, then so be it. Joplin ate nothing but MilkBones for 3 days after his tick paralysis. Yes, my steam cleaner got a BIG workout afterward, but his appetite recovered. He sounds like your gal, in that he likes the dry stuff as much, if not more, than the normally irresistable wet food.

You might want to get a small bag of Nutro High Energy dog food... I've had really good luck with getting elderly dogs to eat that when they won't eat anything else.

Lynn

Lynne- is the Nutro high energy wet or dry?

EmillyAnne- she had something the day of her chemo (monday for nausea) and then yesterday, I gave her the 1st pill but that should work right away since it's meant for car sickness. And, she doesn't like venison.

She likes: chicken, cookies, some wet food and peanut butter. That is IT. I mix chicken and / or wet food in with her kibble normally. It seems like ages ago that that went down here.

We are consumed with "did she eat"???

Have I mentioned how much this sucks???

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest EmilyAnne

Perhaps blend some peanut butter with a small amount of Vanilla Ensure, and use that as a gravy to make food more appealing?

Guest EmbersDad

if you are going to cook for her. try mixing some kibble in when its near completion and let it mingle for a few minutes to get the flavors mixed. worked really well for ember when i did it with chicken and progresso soup. it is actually what got her going again. i threw in 2 cups of evo about 5 min before i pulled it from the heat and mixed it up. let it cool aand that was it.

Dylan ate Walmart chicken during his chemo. :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

What about something brothy, like chicken soup with noodles? I think someone (maybe patricia) had the tip to blend it up in a blender and let them drink it. I've also thrown the dried chicken tenders in a pot with rice while it's cooking.

if you are going to cook for her. try mixing some kibble in when its near completion and let it mingle for a few minutes to get the flavors mixed. worked really well for ember when i did it with chicken and progresso soup. it is actually what got her going again. i threw in 2 cups of evo about 5 min before i pulled it from the heat and mixed it up. let it cool aand that was it.

That's the normal way to do it here. She is not eating. Nodda. not interested.

Guest ArtysPeople

Nevermind. I just realized I'd mis-read your posts. She LIKES PB but isn't eating it right now. I'm chanting still (eat, polli, eat . . .)

:grouphug

Edited by ArtysPeople

Guest EmbersDad
I noticed you said she's eating peanut butter. Of all the things she could choose to eat, that's a pretty good one. Have you ever looked at the nutrition information on it? Lots of protein and fat, and just a few tablespoons has as many calories as a full serving (two cups) of kibble. So if she's snacking on cookies covered in PB, she may be getting enough calories even if it's not as well-balanced as you might like. Maybe something to help you feel a little less worried. :grouphug

P.S. if she still likes PB, maybe you can trick her with little treat balls of kibble rolled in PB?

i think i have a recipe from COG for fat balls. do you have that? maybe you could sub chicken for the beef

Oh I wish I had an idea, but Polli is picky and likes what she likes and that's it.If she's not eating because she's sick to her stomach, the Cerenia should have helped that, but it obviously didn't.I swear, the more you try, the more they say NO! If she's eating cookies and the chicken tenders, she is at least eating something.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Just got back from the supermarket where I bought 10 jars of chicken and rice baby food. My kids never ate jarred food, it is pretty nasty looking!!) and she is not interested.

I just don't know anymore. I really don't.

I noticed you said she's eating peanut butter. Of all the things she could choose to eat, that's a pretty good one. Have you ever looked at the nutrition information on it? Lots of protein and fat, and just a few tablespoons has as many calories as a full serving (two cups) of kibble. So if she's snacking on cookies covered in PB, she may be getting enough calories even if it's not as well-balanced as you might like. Maybe something to help you feel a little less worried. :grouphug

P.S. if she still likes PB, maybe you can trick her with little treat balls of kibble rolled in PB?

i think i have a recipe from COG for fat balls. do you have that? maybe you could sub chicken for the beef

Why don't you give me that. I could give it a try. I hope I have the ingredients. i don't cook so I am limited in the kitchen products.

Let me know, and I'll give it a try.

Guest EmilyAnne

Maybe for the night we should just let her not eat, and then hope that by morning she will eat. I think sometimes having food offered to us when we don't feel good may turn us off more to the food? So perhaps one evening of not offering any food at all would actually help?

How is her hydration? is she drinking anything? I am having luck with baby food lamb, it is soupy and for some reason jumpstarts the appetite on our old cat when her liver is in crisis.

I think of you and Polli through out the day and check in when I can.

Maybe instead of a chant she wants a dance :)

:banana:banana:banana:bounce1:bounce1:bounce1:cool:cool:cool

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

I'm with LynnM, feed her what she WILL eat. If she doesn't want kibble, feed her wet and chicken tenders and cookies and pb sandwiches.

When Batman was sick, he would initially eat some soaked kibble and then didn't like it any more. So I quit offering it.

Kibble is a nice way to get a lot of calories in a relatively small volume, but there's no reason a dog has to have it.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Have you tried rotisserie chicken meat? How about a McDonald's hamburger? Anything just to get calories into her.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

I'm with LynnM, feed her what she WILL eat. If she doesn't want kibble, feed her wet and chicken tenders and cookies and pb sandwiches.

When Batman was sick, he would initially eat some soaked kibble and then didn't like it any more. So I quit offering it.

Kibble is a nice way to get a lot of calories in a relatively small volume, but there's no reason a dog has to have it.

She's not eating enough of this either. I'm getting so beyond frustrated.

I'm gonna give it all a rest until 10ish because I think we are both on overload. By the time I clean up all the cans, jars, plates, towels and bed, it will be time to start again. :(

I'm not familiar with Cerenia (just googled it, though). But when my Odd Cat was on chemo, I was giving him Zofran. It was expensive (I paid about $300 for 9 pills), but it worked. My vet didn't stock it - they gave me a script & I went to the drugstore. I frequently give it at work to nauseated patients & it works like a charm.

Like Lynn said, just let her eat whatever she wants at this point, even if it's only milk bones or whatever, as long as she's keeping it down.

:grouphug

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi