Source Of Omega 3s Besides Fish Or Flax?

Guest Greensleeves

Guest Greensleeves

Should this be in diet? It's actually about Flint's allergies, which is why I'm posting it here. For some reason we have never been able to explain, Flint's allergies are worse in the winter--they start ramping up about now, tend to peak in January, and by April or so he gets a lot better. Doc has gotten serious about recommending Omega 3 fatty acids for his allergy patients... but Flint is allergic to fish, which is the main/easiest source. Doc just called to tell me he'd spoken to the dermatologist, who said they use flaxseed oil for patients who can't have fish. I said, "Yeah, but isn't Flint allergic to flax, too?" So Doc double-checked his records... and now we're back to square 1. He's going back to consult with the dermatologist and the lab that prepares his allergy shots.

Does anyone have recommendations for another source? And maybe dosage?

Thanks!

Guest Greensleeves

Thanks for the recommendation! Unfortunately, that contains both beef and flax...

(See how much fun it is to play What Can Flint Eat? :lol)

Wysong has a plant based E.F.A. formula, but it has flax seed in it. I pulled up the ingredients so you can check on omega 3 content and try them one at a time with your poor allergy hound. I would think you could get most oils straight through a health food store or on the internet.

Do the elimination test, and add only one every 7-10 days and see if there is any reaction, if none then you can add another. Good Luck, I know how tough that allergy roller coaster is.

E.F.A. Plant-Derived™ Wysong

Ingredients: Flax Seed Oil, Pumpkin Seed Oil, Perilla Oil, Rice Bran

Oil, and Borage Oil stabilized with Wysong Oxherphol™ antioxidant.

Capsule Ingredients: Natural Phytonutrient Extracts and Concentrates

of Flax Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Canola Oil, Black

Currant Oil, and Pumpkin Seed Oil.

Extra virgin olive oil is an excellent source. 1 tablespoon twice a day. I just splash a little on their kibble...they love it!

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Beef and olive oil are actually sources of Omega 6. Omega 3 fatty acids are found in fish oil, flax seed oil, and marine sources such as spirulina and blue green algae. You should be able to find spirulina or blue green algae on this website: www.b-naturals.com. I've also seen it in the vitamin/supplement aisle at Wal-Mart.

I've got a super sensitive hound that eats a limited home prepared raw diet.

I don't know that much about it, but this is what I know -- highest concentrations of Omega 3s are in certain fish oils, like salmon. But O3 can be found in lots of meats, as long as the meat was naturally fed, grass fed for pasture animals. So most any kind of free range meat will have O3, but not as highly concentrated as salmon oil.

I haven't had my greyhound allergy tested, but I know he pretty much refuses anything that his system will not tolerate. And he refuses all fish, even canned fish that every other dog loves. So I figure he can't eat fish. I'm not sure, but he is very stable, so I don't want to rock the boat. I try to feed him some free range meat, but it is very expensive, so he doesn't get much.

I hear that O3 is very important for good health and that neither we nor our pets get enough of it because of modern, industrial agriculture. But my previously sick & underweight greyhound looks great now, so I don't worry too much about it.

If his allergies are worse in winter, maybe just try adding more oil to his diet, but a type of oil that you know he can tolerate. And not worry so much if the oil has Omega 3s or Omega 6s. Could it be that his skin is drier in winter and therefore has less oil to form a protective barrier against enviormental allergens? More oil in his diet, or even topical moisturizer might help.

Beef and olive oil are actually sources of Omega 6. Omega 3 fatty acids are found in fish oil, flax seed oil, and marine sources such as spirulina and blue green algae. You should be able to find spirulina or blue green algae on this website: www.b-naturals.com. I've also seen it in the vitamin/supplement aisle at Wal-Mart.

I stand corrected...that's what I get for posting after my bedtime. Olive oil is high in omega 9's ...hey 3 and 6 equals 9. :rolleyes:

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

I stand corrected...that's what I get for posting after my bedtime. Olive oil is high in omega 9's ...hey 3 and 6 equals 9. :rolleyes:

Actually it is I that stand to be corrected. You were correct, olive oil is a source of Omega 3. Like you I was posting well after my bedtime.

Greensleeves,

Smart Balance makes a cooking oil that is a blend of canola, soy, and olive oils that has 1230 mg of Omega 3 per Tablespoon. Maybe this is something you could use.

Judy

Guest greytkidsmom

Actually it is I that stand to be corrected. You were correct, olive oil is a source of Omega 3. Like you I was posting well after my bedtime.

Judy

Olive oil contains Omega 9 fatty acids.

This article does a pretty good job explaining the Omegas (3-6-9)