Clomicalm Vs. Prozac

Guest twhitehouse

Guest twhitehouse

We're taking Lexi to a new vet tomorrow to see about some medication for her unbelievably bad seperation anxiety. When we discussed her issues with him he said that she definitely should be put on some kind of medication and he mentioned Prozac. However, I've heard a lot about Clomicalm and thats what I've researched the most. So, which is better Prozac or Clomicalm? Is there a big difference in what they do?

I would think it depends on the dog. What works best for one, may not for others. I don't know enough about either for dogs though.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Vet suggested that we try dramamine first...half a pill, combined with rescue remedy on the food and lavander and almond oil on the ear tips. Worked well, but our case might not have been as bad as yours is. I have not used either but know people who use both. From what they say they are pretty similar.

Both can work, it'll just depend on the individual dog as to which one works best. They are from two different families of antidepressants, Clomicalm is a tricyclic antidepressant and Prozac is an SSRI. If cost is an issue, Prozac will be cheaper, as it is available on the $4 list at WalMart and Target in its generic form.

It should be noted that ANY use of meds must be accompanied by a plan of behavior modification. They only take the edge off the dog's symptoms so that the work you do with her has a better chance of sinking in. It is extremely rare in dogs (though common in humans) for the symptoms to go away due to medication alone.

Lynn

Rita is a much calmer dog on Prozac (fluoxetine, which we get at Walmart). Clomicalm did nothing for her one way or the other. Lynn is right; it depends on the dog.

Marcia

Both can work, it'll just depend on the individual dog as to which one works best. They are from two different families of antidepressants, Clomicalm is a tricyclic antidepressant and Prozac is an SSRI. If cost is an issue, Prozac will be cheaper, as it is available on the $4 list at WalMart and Target in its generic form.

It should be noted that ANY use of meds must be accompanied by a plan of behavior modification. They only take the edge off the dog's symptoms so that the work you do with her has a better chance of sinking in. It is extremely rare in dogs (though common in humans) for the symptoms to go away due to medication alone.

Lynn

Very well put! Carl did really well on clomipramine hydrochloride, the human version and much less expensive version, of Clomicalm. I agree with LynnM, it really depends on the dog. I've read about dogs who found no relief on one, but the other worked. I also had to use Valium for Carl just to get out of the house. He was only on both for about 4 months, that and a lot of hard home alone work, Kong treat dispensers, a muzzle and my T Mobile baby monitor.

Best of luck to you!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Lynn

Very well put! Carl did really well on clomipramine hydrochloride, the human version and much less expensive version, of Clomicalm. I agree with LynnM, it really depends on the dog. I've read about dogs who found no relief on one, but the other worked. I also had to use Valium for Carl just to get out of the house. He was only on both for about 4 months, that and a lot of hard home alone work, Kong treat dispensers, a muzzle and my T Mobile baby monitor.

Best of luck to you!

What they said!!!

I think most vets start with Clomicalm nowadays, as it's had some good success in canine applications. But it doesn't always work on every dog. If you don't see a marked improvement or if there are bad side effects (such as the mentioned aggression), you should try one of the others. It depends on what exactly is causing her fear and what the physical basis is, which kind of drug will work for her.

It took a good two weeks for the full effects of Cash's alprazolam (generic for Xanax) to become apparent. She's been on it since April and I'm hoping we'll be able to wean her off in the future. We did lots of training (obedience and behavior modification) and it too a lot of work and time and patience, but she's now starting to act like a "normal" greyhound!

Good luck and keep us posted!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My Bridge Angel, Brooke had very severe separation anxiety, and it took lots and lots of training, and lots and lots of exercise to get her over SA. She did get over it though! I opted to not go with drugs and only with training. I did lots of research and drugs work along with training, but you can't just medicate and hope the problem goes away. Ask your vet to recommend a trainer who specializes in behavior modification.

I wish you lots of luck. I know how frustrating it is to see your dog be so unhappy, and feeling helpless.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11