Future Problems Associated With A Broken Hock

Guest tuxandtails

Guest tuxandtails

Ok, so we decided to chip, and are getting a three year old girl on saturday. My only concern is that her race career ended in february due to a broken hock. they say she didnt require any surgery, just casted, and she is 100% healthy now. I am just curious what future problems we may encounter as a result? Arthritis? Chronic Pain? gimpiness? lack of activity? nothing? We are definitely taking her and excited, just curious though.

Thank You!!

Congrats on your new girl. My first girl came to me the day her cast came off from a broken hock. She had surgery and a screw to facilitate healing, she was 2.5yrs old.

Once she healed, she ran, she jumped on the furniture, did all the fun things a grey can do like counter surf.

In later years (age about 8) she would limp alittle after jumping down from the furniture or running hard but it never stopped her. Yes arthritis forms at the injury site but there are great meds for that when needed.

Enjoy her

Molleigh-and-Snowy-sig2.jpg

CAROL & Molleigh (Queen Molly)
My Angel Girl (Slippy's Molly) ~ Thank you for sending me your namesake ~

Guest GreytMuse

Atticus (now 4 yo) also came to us with a healed broken hock -- but a pretty bad one that required surgery and screws, too. The first few months we had him (6 months post-break) he would limp a bit if he'd been running too hard, and we'd watch his running for a while. We're now 18 months post-break and he seems just fine! He'll run at the fenced-in field we go to, and never shows any signs of discomfort! :)

We've considered adding in glucosamine supplements, for all of our dogs, since so many people rave about the benefits. (A great place to get them: Greyhound Gang Get-up-and go.)

Welcome to GreyTalk and congratulations on your new family member! I can't wait to see pictures! :)

I adopted Cash when she was 6 with a broken and very twisted knarly hock. I was concerned about it rebreaking since it was bent and she still run but the vet said he "would be very surprised" if it broke again. It has never been a problem for her-she is 9 now. Sometimes it hurts her and is painful but I give her some arnica or maybe a tramadol and she is usually over it in one dose. My holistic vet said it just depends on the dog. Cash doesn't have any real problems with it but some dogs do. Cash does have a serious issue with vertebra in her neck that are smashed together and this didn't manifest itself until she was nine and is being managed with accupuncture, anti-inflammatorys and Tramadol. Of course she also gets Fresh Factors as the chrondroiten/glucosomanine I have found to be a wonderful help particularly for older dogs. I wouldn't be concerned about a broken hock myself as I don't think it impacts many of them that much. Based on what I learned with Cash though I would be extra vigilant for any other injuries that may be associated with the hock injury and the rough life these poor guys had to endure before being rescued. :)

Zoe came to us as a bounce who had broken her hock while racing. It was only casted and is rather knotty-looking. It was tender for a while. She jumps on and off things without a problem, but she will limp if she does zoomies in the yard. I think it is turning the corners, though, because she can jog short distances (1/4 mile) without any gimpiness. Her break was three years ago. I do have her on Synovi G-3 though as a precaution. She is 7 years old. Also, we live in Maryland and the winters can be cold and damp. I do have a leg warmer for her since I think the dampness would bother the leg. She doesn't complain, but I am a mom! She does love to play in the snow though

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Arthritis is a possibility....but then lots of dogs that never ran a race or broke a bone in their lives get arthritis....I would say don't worry about what might or might not happen, if she's the right one for you it won't matter a bit. :colgate

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest redreed

Tiger Shark came to us with healed, but he had a badly broken hock as well that had been casted and healed up gnarly too!! He did fine with it until he got to be about 10 or so when he did have more pain associated with it.

The only advice I can give you - no lure coursing!! I made that mistake when he was about 6. I let him go on a one at a charity dog walk and even though they tried to slow it down for him, he ran so fast (that's my boy) that they had to run it at full speed. He limped for almost a month and I felt awful. I forgot how competitive these guys can be.

We adopted Kingsley only 1 month after he had broken his hock, and it had only been wrapped.

He would walk on it, but hoped on three legs for anything else.

We did meet with an orthopedist to see if we should do surgery, but her opinion was that he would not get any worse if we did not do the surgery.

He still (3+ years later) stands on three legs, but uses all three for everything with only a rare limp (often in the mornings) He has had glucosamine added to his food since we got him and know that that makes a difference (as we stopped once to see and he had a hard time lying down)

I would totally get another broken-legged dog... so do not worry about your new addition. She may not need or be able to walk far and hard as others, but that seems to be it!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest tuxandtails

Thank you all for your comments! It seems like I will just have to wait and see as every individual dog is different. we cant wait and will show her off on Saturday when we get her. Thanks again!

Guest spider9174
Ok, so we decided to chip, and are getting a three year old girl on saturday. My only concern is that her race career ended in february due to a broken hock. they say she didnt require any surgery, just casted, and she is 100% healthy now. I am just curious what future problems we may encounter as a result? Arthritis? Chronic Pain? gimpiness? lack of activity? nothing? We are definitely taking her and excited, just curious though.

Thank You!!

I've fostered a couple of broken leg dogs. From what I understand, what you are looking at is the same thing associated with an athletic injury in a person. She'll be a bit more sensitive on it, so you may see her take a few funny steps every once in a while when she gets up or its early in the morning. As she gets older, she may be arthritic. As long as she is cleared by a vet, you shouldn't have any major restrictions on activity. Just make sure you work her up to longer walks. Many times, they will have a lower tolerance for pain, hence the sensitivity and funny steps. She may be more protective of that leg, so be aware if you have kids around or toddlers around. You don't want them getting close to her/her leg when she's laying down until you know her personality.