Tony Has Slight Swelling On Side Just Off The Left Side Of His Spine

Guest ctgreylover

Guest ctgreylover

I WILL take him to the vet in the am, the e-vet not a good grey vet and this seems more than just a torn dew claw but I need advise on what to do now....... PLEASE

I am rambling but trying to describe my day.

I was doing chores today and Tony came up to me so I rubbed his back. I thought when I rubbed a certain area he seemed to melt a little. Sort of like when you hit a sweet spot and they lift a leg to scratch, but he let out a very small whimper. I tried to find the area but it didn't happen again right away. It did happen a few minutes later. Then I called the vet. Tony did get 2 dog tick bites about 2 weeks ago. They said they might test for Lyme Sunday. And to observe him. I had to go out. My daughter got home from work before me not 2 hours later and called me to say Tony yelped a bit when she rubbed his back. I got home and my weekend guest arrived at the same time. He noticed a slight swelling. Just barley noticeable. We went out for dinner to celebrate my daughter's birthday. When we got back, the swelling was now very noticeable. Sort of egg shaped but not hard. But if we touch it he sort sinks down. And I think the right side is now effected.

I have Rimadyl for pain and methocarbamol, a muscle relaxer. Should I give him either? Should I try a heating pad?

The swelling seems to be mid spine just off the left side. He got bit by 2 ticks 2 weeks ago. I got them off. He has been peeing a bit more than normal in the mornings. If I am not careful, he has peed in the house. Today he actually peed right in front of me while I was washing the floor. I had moved the furniture and just thought he was mad.

Whats wrong with Tony and what do I do to make him feel better?

Thanks!

I wouldn't give him anything without talking to a vet.

Any chance he hit himself on something or got bitten by a spider?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Spiders and dangerousness: Depends on what kind.

You could try icing the area and giving 25-50mg benadryl, but if he has any symptoms other than localized swelling, I'd take him to the vet tonight.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GentleHugs

I'm not sure what it could be but you didn't say where the tick bites were located at either. Were they about in the same spot where this swelling is? If so, it could be from the tick bites or it could be a spider bite, too. He could of gotten bumped there by something sharp or pointy (like the corner of a table or cabinet). He could have a foreign body like a spinter or he could have gotten stung, too. Apparently it's sore to him. Can you gently check that area and see if there's bruising or if there's a red rash or maybe a small puncture wound there?

I don't want to frighten you but my first senior peed right in front of me in the house one evening. He never did that before either (Romeo was perfect in the house) so I made an appt to get him checked out the next day because it was totally unsual for him to do that. Unfortunately, we were woke up at 3am and Romeo was into a full blown stroke that brought on cluster seizures. Ro passed away in my daughter's arms on the way to the E vet in the middle of the night. He never got to go to his vet appt the next morning. He was 9 - almost 10.

Since I'm not a vet - I'm not going to advise you about giving any medications in case it's the wrong advice but I would definitely get him titered for as many TBD's as you can asap and have them do a complete blood panel on him, too.

If it gets worse before you can get him to your regular vet in the am - I'd get him into to the E-vet asap.

Sorry I could be of more help. I'll keep Tony in my prayers.

Guest ctgreylover

His vet will see him at 1215 today. He slept ok. If he moved around, he would lay down very gingerly. (usually he is a plopper) . He tried to rearrange the covers a lot. He sleeps with me so I dont like that normally. He did lay in some odd positions. I am sure he was trying to find a comfortable spot. He let out a couple of quite whimpers as his back touched the bed. This morning he is still tender and still has the slight swelling. He is not hungry or very thirsty but WAS trying to do his hoppy dance thinking we were headed out for our morning walk. I only let him out into the back yard. I will walk him just before the vet visit. If I can get some poo, I will bring it just in case they need some. What really bothered me was the cat. She usually is not the kindest if even interested in Tony. She tolerates him when he cleans her butt. But last night she came up to him and rubbed her nose against his and slept with us all night. I am sure its something simple but I hate not knowing why he is in pain.

Sounds like what Renie's trainer calls a 'bubble'. IF it's that, it's a small tear in the latissimus dorsi muscle - the long one that runs each side of the spine. It allows just a small bubble-like soft place to bulge up. And IF it's that, it will heal like it. It's painful when it's first done, but like the 'dropped muscle', it will heal as it is and cause no further trouble.

Two of my dogs have had a 'bubble'.

I'd take him in to the vet and get him seen, because it may be something else, but meanwhile, I wouldn't panic. You could ice it. Wouldn't hurt, might help. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Sending healing prayers.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest ctgreylover

Just got back from the vet. No fever but she tested for Lyme because he did get 2 tick bites 2 weeks ago. That was negative so - Yeah :) . He had a slight white discharge from his pee pee so she gave some antibiotics for that. Which may account for some of the extra pee issues too. For the spine pain, she gave Rimadyl and methocaramol. He has a tendency to hurt his neck/disk neck so she thinks this may be similar. (I will follow up with a question on the bubble theory too) I am going to get some glucosamine and conjointin(sp?) since it now looks like his neck and spine tend to get sore/slipped/injured easily and we can help strengthen that. Sounds like his neck and back will be an ongoing but not dangerous occurrence. Painful but like my bursitis, treatable.

sorry to panic - I love my boy and don't like to see him suffer! :blush

-thanks for your advise and for your support-

Edited by ctgreylover

I'm so glad it was good news, especially that he is negative for Lyme. I hope he is on the road to recovery.

I'm wondering if doggy chiropractic or acupuncture might help him with his back issues. It might be worth looking into.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest ctgreylover

[i'm wondering if doggy chiropractic or acupuncture might help him with his back issues. It might be worth looking into.

I will! it was suggested the first time he hurt his neck but its only happened 3 times in 2 years. Not that it looks to be moving, I need to look into a more long term treatment for his over all good health.

Guest crazy4greys

Acupuncture and Chiropractic helped my greys. I know chiropractic works, because I go once a week!

I hope Tony starts to feel better soon. :)

Hope he starts feeling better soon. And no need to apologize for panicking here, we've all been there.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.