Fritz Punctured A Battery

I got home from work today to find a AA battery sitting on the floor, punctured by a tooth. I have no idea where he got it from, I've looked everywhere and can't figure it out. At first I wasn't sure who did it, Ace, or Fritz, but, it became clear once Fritz wouldn't eat his dinner right away and then was gingerly chewing a few kibbles. He was just generally not acting like he felt well.

I looked in his mouth and one whole side of his tongue is bright red and swollen :( I called the emergency vet, and they told me there's not much we can do at this point but to give him some milk and a pepcid. I'm supposed to watch it and make sure it's not getting ulcerated :unsure I don't know if he actually swallowed any, but, if he did, it's likely that the scene is the same in his esophagus.

I went to the store and got milk, rice, hamburger, and eggs. I gave him a good amount of milk, which he happily drank and wanted more. I boiled hamburger and eggs and mixed those with rice for him to eat for the next few days, since chewing kibble is clearly painful.

I think I'll probably just try to get him in to the vet tomorrow to have him looked at, and possibly get him started on antibiotics, so as to PREVENT any kind of ulceration/infection rather than waiting to see if he develops a problem and THEN treating it.

Poor Bubby :( He's resting comfortably now, I hope it's only uphill from here :goodluck

Edited by krissn333

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest KennelMom

Awwwww...Poor guy :( They find the strangest things sometimes! I hope he makes a speedy recovery. I'm glad you are taking him to see your vet! Good call, despite what the evet said. :thumbs-up

Yikes! I'm going to be sure to tell the kids about this. We occasionally have a problem with them leaving batteries lying around (not on the floor, but within reach). Warnings just don't have the same punch as a true story about a hound they know!

Sending soothing and healing thoughts to Fritz.

Thinking about this some more, I *suspect* that my friend, who comes over to let the pups out for me around 9 every night, changed the batteries in the Wii remote and left the old ones sit somewhere (he often hangs out over here for a while so the pups aren't alone the whole time I'm gone). He wouldn't have known that the dogs would take something like that, heck, I wouldn't suspect they'd do that in a million years, so...I'll just let him know that he needs to make sure everything like that is up and out of reach of any pups before he leaves for the night.

I just thank God it wasn't more serious :unsure

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Poor guy! We had a foster once chew on a remote and swallow the batteries. Fortunately, they passed without incident. Good then they weren't Ds :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Oh no...feel better soon sweetie. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest pedalmasher

It is amazing what dogs can eat and suffer no ill effects. I once had a Golden Retriever that literally ate to mercury vapor vacuum tubes with no ill effects. These are glass tubes with ceramic bases filled with mercury. When we got home the only thing left was the bases of the tubes. We immediately took him to the vet, but there were never any symptoms of any kind. There must be a dog god looking after these creatures.

oh my gosh! :( :( :(

I hope he's okay!!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

how is Fritz doing?

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Sorry about the lack of an update! My internet service hasn't been working for most of the weekend.

I called our regular vet immediately when they opened at 8 am and they told me to bring him right over and doc would take a look at him before he went into surgery (Thursday is a big surgery day for them...thank goodness I spend so much money there that I'm somewhat of a VIP client! :lol).

The vet tech took one look at him and said, "Holy S***!" (I used to work with her at the animal shelter, I doubt she'd speak that way in front of a "regular" client)...she got two bottles of saline solution and rinsed and rinsed his mouth. I felt awful, because in my panic that night, I hadn't even thought to make sure his mouth was rinsed out really well :(

Doc took a look at him - his throat is fine, so thankfully it seems he didn't actually swallow any "battery juice" - he probably grabbed it hard enough to puncture it and then dropped it immediately once he figured out what was inside.

So, we came home with a tube of lidocaine gel and instructions to irrigate the area with a water/hydrogen peroxide mixture twice a day. He's doing really well - his tongue looks fine now, and he's just got a small area on the inside of his lip that still looks a little bit icky. Up until today he was eating just fine (see my other thread for details on that little adventure).

It is amazing what dogs can eat and suffer no ill effects. I once had a Golden Retriever that literally ate to mercury vapor vacuum tubes with no ill effects. These are glass tubes with ceramic bases filled with mercury. When we got home the only thing left was the bases of the tubes. We immediately took him to the vet, but there were never any symptoms of any kind. There must be a dog god looking after these creatures.

I agree...my little guy has chewed on and probably swallowed so many odd things around here (things I'd never DREAM he'd be interested in eating!)...and he's passed them all or horked them up (and of course managed to scare the heck out of me in the process!), but he's always been fine. I just know now not to leave ANYTHING laying about...you never know what he'll grab and find interesting (this is a dog that enjoys licking the hair off of the couch :blink: )

Kristin, that's good to see he is healing nicely. We too learned that we had to place things out of reach (the hard way of course after the controller, eyeglasses, etc. got chewed). Some of our pups don't care about our things but there is always one who wants to taste & explore. Hugs to Fritz.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy