Quick Prayers For 13.5 Yo That Just Had 6 Teeth Pulled!

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

I'll post the history later this evening, but if you are of the praying mind please say a quick prayer for an easy recovery for my Coachie girl who just had 6 teeth pulled! I knew we had a problem with one, but 6??? Anyway vet called to update me, but she hasn't come out yet. I've got to call back around 4 to see if she needs to spend the night with them or if I can come pick her up. In the past, going under has made her very loopy for a couple of days.

My Ali had lost 9 teeth with her dental last year. She was drugged up with pain meds and the anestheia had to wear off for 24 hours. In about 48 hours she was eating her bland diet just fine and with in 7 days back on kibble (moistened).

Prayers to you and your baby.

They yanked 6 of Gostopher P's teeth at his last dental and he tolerated it pretty well for an older man!

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Prayers goin' out to your sweet Coach!

Nice to see you around again, Tara!

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Guest Sassifrass

Sending prayers, but try not to worry. My 13 year old Faye had 23 :eek teeth pulled at her last dental in the spring. She was quiet for about two days and then resumed eating her normal diet, just with some water added to the kibble.

I was so worried about what to feed her, but I didn't have to change anything - kibble, some canned food, and some water to moisten.

Our senior Angel LaceyLaine had over 20 extractions her first dental with us...she did GREYT! Your baby will be just fine. :) Sending hugs and prayers for good measure! :grouphug

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Thanks for the good thoughts. Coach appears to be doing well at the moment other than the normal anesthesia after effects.

On Monday, I came home to let them out at lunch and her gum started to bleed a good bit (drooling out of her mouth) but it clotted fairly quickly. She drank some water that washed the remainder away. I returned about 3:30 to make sure she was okay before an evening meeting and she looked fine, but she was due for bloodwork, more enalapril and Cougar needed his corns popped out so I went ahead and made a vet appt. for Tuesday evening. The vet did briefly examine her mouth, agreed that she had an infection related to gingivitis and sent us home with some antibiotics to get that under control before we really messed with her teeth.

Well, last night she got started up bleeding again. Just a bit before bedtime but I heard her licking, licking, licking about midnight so I flicked the light on. She was laying flat on her left side with her head down flat. There was a huge circle of blood under her (at the foot of my bed, of course). I made her get up hoping it would clot faster. It looked like she had been stabbed in the shoulder (remember, the blood is coming from her mouth). A good portion of the left side of her body from head to shoulder was bright red.

She did get clotted within 10 minutes or so, but wanted to keep licking. This time she ended up laying down on her right side. No problems. Until she got up during the night and flipped back to her left side. About 3am, I hear a faint cough over and over like she is trying to clear her throat. Again, movie horror scene laying at the bottom of my bed. DH stayed awake with her the rest of the morning since he was off today and made sure she didn't lick and stayed on her right side. I went back to sleep a little after 4am. She ate normally this morning and didn't bleed as we were getting ready for work. I was able to catch the vet on the way into work around 7:15 and he said my DH could bring her in. It definately sounded like something more than just gingivitis.

I got a call in the early afternoon that he had pre-sedated her to do a good mouth examine and decided he needed to remove 6 teeth. The big canine tooth on the bottom, which earlier he had said they usually tried to avoid removing, was the culprit as the gum had pulled away from the tooth. I was shocked when he said 6, and asked how many she had left. He said they had 42 teeth as adults.

Vet tech help her up into the car. She layed down the entire way home (about 40-45 minutes) and jumped out of the back of the car pretty easily. I've been backing over to the ditch for loading and unloading for about the last year to make the jump up and down less. She was walking pretty well. Squatted to pee. Made a half circle and eased her rear end down into a sit (not normal). I gave her a few seconds to rest and she picked her back end up again and we started up the stairs. She made it up about two before I had to start half-carrying/half-tugging with the towel I had wrapped around her body. She quickly trotted through the house. Trotted back to the bedroom. Got a running start and made it up onto the bed.

If you caught my post about a month & a half ago, the mattress made it to the floor so Cougar could get on without killing himself after his neck/should injury. After about 2 weeks, he was mostly better so we tucked the box springs back underneath, but the frame is still up in the attic. They are tall boxsprings and the pillowtop on the mattress adds to the heigth so it is still pretty tall for injured dogs to jump up.

Anyway, Coach wasn't interested in the banana baby food I had sprinkled her crushed up pills onto, so that is back in the fridge. I figured I'd give her another couple of hours to rest and try again after Grey's Anatomy. She needs to eat it though because it is her pain meds and her next dose of antibiotics.

Thanks to all we posted our sent good thoughts our way. I've got my fingers crossed for a quiet night.

Edited so you could make some sense of the post.

Edited by TaraCoachCougar

:getwell C'mon Coachie, eat the baby food--it'll make you feel better. Here's hoping you all have a peaceful night.

Beverly

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Thanks all. Day 2 has been good so far. I discovered this morning that she really likes the Gerber Graduates meat sticks. I've been able to wrap pills in that. She got that again as a snack when I got home from work this evening. Around 7, I gave her a little more than half the kibble she usually gets with warm water on it and she stood there and ate it all. More meat sticks coming tonight for medicine. I'd say she is acting about 90% normal at this point.

Just saw this (I've been wound tight with my Polli for the past few days) and I am happy those yucky teeth are out. MyPolli had 17, yes SEVENTEEN teeth removed last year. I brush every night and she still has stinky breath.(what i wouldn;t do to be kissed right now by that stinky breath!!!)

Continued prayers for your baby.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project