Poll About The Cancer

Guest myjazzy

Cancer in greys  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Have you had a greyhound with cancer?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. If so, how many of your hounds have had or have cancer?

• One
    • Two
    • Three
    • Four our more
  3. 3. If so, what type of cancer?

• Osteo
    • Lymphoma
    • Ohter

Guest myjazzy

I have been reading lately of so many of our hounds getting osteo, and I'm wondering if the incidence of osteo in greys is large, or if it just seems that way. I would also like to know what the incidence of other types of cancer is. I've lost two greys to cancer, one to osteo and one to lymphoma, and I have four greys now and know that eventually I'll probably be dealing with this monster again.

It really breaks my heart everytime I hear one more of our beautiful hounds had succumbed to this disease.

I would also like to know how many hounds have beat this disease, but I ran out of poll questions.

I have lost 7 and 5 had cancer.

Brody - Thyroid cancer & Osteo

Rachel - Thryoid cancer that spread to the lungs

Noah - Thyroid & Pancreatic

Motorcade - Osteo

Pecoe - Osteo

Helen died of Kidney disease

Bleu had Congestive Heart Failure

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement

Louisville KY

Jennifer Watkins

Shamrock Greyhound Placement, Louisville, KY

Greyhound Festival of the Bluegrass -July 19-21, 2013

Holiday Inn/Hurstbourne, Louisville KY

Just diagnosed today. I can not believe I am part of this poll. Osteo.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I've not voted because the options aren't quite right for me but I've had one Greyhound with cancer (fibrosarcoma) and I have a Deerhound who is an osteo survivor.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest myjazzy
Cancer sucks :angryfire

I totally agree. I was hoping to see some people who haven't had to deal with cancer answer the poll, but no one has so far. :sad1

Guest Grhndad

We have lost 5, 4 to cancer.

Nancy and Max to Hemangoscarmo. Nancy was 13 and Max 13yr 8 mts.

Dart to Neoplasia Lymphoma age 12 yr 8 mts

Vinka Mass Cell age 12yr 10 mts.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Every dog I have owned on my own has passed due to cancer

Willow- GSD, Lymphoma

Dave- Osteo

Weenie- Hemangio

Cassie- Osteo

Pup- Lymphoma

Momma- Hemangio

Guest KennelMom

We've lost 6, one was to cancer. Osteo.

DH lost a greyhound before we met to cancer, but I don't recall what kind it was. I know it wasn't osteo.

Something has to take all of us...I'm afraid cancer is a biggie for dogs and humans or any animal that lives to the end of it's expected life span.

Cancer sucks :angryfire

I totally agree. I was hoping to see some people who haven't had to deal with cancer answer the poll, but no one has so far. :sad1

I have two greys and have only had them for four years. I am afraid to answer that they haven't had cancer because I don't want to jinx them! However, in order to protect them, I do have a whippet who is a dermal hemangiosarcoma survivor.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Of the four we have lost, only one was diagnosed with cancer.

Bruiser - osteo. Found his tumor on a Sunday night, the size of a baseball, and by Thursday he was gone.

Sandy - her body gave out at 15. She had LP, a heart murmer, total incontinence, and lost the use of her back legs. Mind was still sharp as a tack though!

Beau - stroke. We sent him to the bridge a few days later, after the vets said he would never recover to the point that he could walk unassisted.

Cooney - his body also gave out. Vets felt that he was harboring a cancer somewhere, though. He could barely stand and walk at the end, and was in a lot of pain.

Wow, reading these it sounds like we put them through a lot of misery before sending them to the bridge, but I promise you that wasn't the case. :blink:

No matter the cause, it is never easy. Just writing this, I am tearing up...

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

I've lost 2 hounds to cancer: Chloe with Osteo and Fritz to Lymphoma. When he was first diagnosed I opted for chemo for him. It worked and he was in remission for a year. It then came back and the poor guy was so sick that I had to have him PTS. The oncologist assured me that it couldn't be cured. Fritz was my first ever hound - my heartdog - I miss him even today.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest Javagirl

Um, just an FYI for the results; you can't vote NO - because in order to submit, you have to choose 1 option from each section. If anyone does vote no then they ended up skewing the results anyway by randomly selecting an answer from each of the 2nd two boxes. You may want to add a box of N/A in each of the second boxes.

My previous dog died of cancer as well but it wasn't a greyhound, my family mutt growing up. It's devastating and leaves a hole in your heart.

Kristyn

Guest Greensleeves
Something has to take all of us...I'm afraid cancer is a biggie for dogs and humans or any animal that lives to the end of it's expected life span.

Unfortunately, she's right. I remember my grandfather's doctor telling my parents that some astounding percentage of people over a certain age would have *some* kind of cancer (like 70% of people over age 80--I'm making that up, but it was similar), just because if you live that long, there's that much more chance something will go wrong when your cells multiply.

We've lost one to cancer, but we don't know what kind. Since it took him 36 hours after diagnosis (and the diagnosis was b/c he went into shock from a burst tumor that bled out), it didn't seem relevant at that point. He was 12 years, 9 months.

I think you would have very different results if this poll were on Everything Else Greyhound. When I looked at the poll results 100% had experience of cancer. That seems really scary, and I don't think that is necessarily representative. Those of us with sick greys come here. Those with healthy greys avoid H & M understandably.

Only one of my 3 has had cancer and she is the youngest. Pilgrim had nerve sheath sarcoma very near her spine at age 4. 2 surgeries (the second quite radical) got clean margins. She has had a couple of other suspicious lumps in the area removed, but she is still with us at age 6. Scarred up, but with us. Cancer free, and pretty darn healthy today!

My other two have not had cancer at ages 7 and 10 respectively. I voted, but want to warn you and everyone else that this poll is probably not representative of the usual grey profile on cancer.

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest MomoftheFuzzy
We lost Beatrice to hemangiosarcoma.

One day she was perfectly well, the next day, she was gone.

:(

Another sadly accurate way to describe hemangio... :(:grouphug Hardly a chance to even say goodbye.

Guest HeatherDemps

I've only had 1 greyhound and he was diagnosed with cancer last December- osteo. We amputated and did chemo. I lost him at the end of August but the cancer had not come back so I think he beat the cancer because there had been no signs of it at his last recheck.

I think you would have very different results if this poll were on Everything Else Greyhound. When I looked at the poll results 100% had experience of cancer. That seems really scary, and I don't think that is necessarily representative. Those of us with sick greys come here. Those with healthy greys avoid H & M understandably.

I think this is true. When Dempsey was younger, I never came to this section unless he got the big D or something like that. After the cancer, this was pretty much the only section of GT I came to.

Guest myjazzy
Um, just an FYI for the results; you can't vote NO - because in order to submit, you have to choose 1 option from each section. If anyone does vote no then they ended up skewing the results anyway by randomly selecting an answer from each of the 2nd two boxes. You may want to add a box of N/A in each of the second boxes.

My previous dog died of cancer as well but it wasn't a greyhound, my family mutt growing up. It's devastating and leaves a hole in your heart.

Kristyn

Oops, I didn't realize that. This is my first time starting a poll and I have not idea how to edit it. Admin?

Dr Couto's numbers are

1 in 4 greyhounds will get cancer - but remember, their stats are low on other diseases thaat other breeds die from.

80% of the greyhounds with cancer have osteosarcoma.

Foxy was diagnosed with hemarngiopericytoma in Aug 2004. She died this August, but we don't know for sure if the cancer came back. Even if it did, it is unlikely that she died from it.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Out of my 6 greyhounds, I lost 3 to osteo, when they were in the 9 to 10 yr. old range. :weep The two seniors had non-cancer health issues at ages 14 1/2 and 16. My surviving grey, Finn, is healthy and I watch him like a hawk. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.