Bruising In Dogs

HJsM

Is it possible for a dog to get a big and UGLY bruise like us humans do?

I'm reading some things on The Internet right now and the consensus is NO...they can only get SMALL spots and not big ones and if it's really big it's something like vasculitis or diabetes.

Also, if vasculitis (which I haven't looked at pictures of yet) can it be on the chest area? And what brings that on?

If a dog were to fall hard on something, could they potentially bruise their chest or other limbs?

I have a picture which I will prepare to post. But if anyone has ever had a dog simply bruise themselves badly and it looked like a human bruise, let me know.

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Yep. The only difference in mine is, they don't go thru so much of a fading to black-and-blue stage. More the ugly dark mark.

If I can't explain how they got it, I want bloodwork ASAP.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What exactly are you wanting to know?

Yes, they can and do bruise from trauma, the same as us.

They can also bruise because their ability to clot is impaired. This can happen from tick borne disease, cancer, or certain medications (also the same as humans).

Lynn

Cheryl2 has viewed some pictures. Thanks for your input, Cheryl. Disclaimer: Cheryl2 is not a vet, but has seen most of what there is to see out there in the "whirled of hounds".

I WILL take this dog to see the vet, but I think we can at least avoid e-vet for tonight.

This dog did titer high for Lyme (though does not have any "symptoms") but that could certainly be a reason that if she fell or something like that she would have bruised more than the average.

ugh. dogs. injuries out of the blue.need.excedrin. :blink:

Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

Mimi (age 14) has had a couple of big, ugly bruises on her belly the past year and a half or so.

FIrst one I freaked out and had my vet meet me at 10:30 on a Sunday night. After blood work and everything we

think she just bruises easily. I'm never sure what she's done to get one, I usually look over and see it. She's not as steady

on her feet as she used to be.

I have Vitamin K here to give her if she gets one. As long as it doesn't get bigger from when I first notice it my vet

said to just keep an eye on it.

They're usually gone in less than a week.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Hmmm.Vitamin K...I have heard that mentioned (and saw it mentioned a couple of times tonight when i was doing the reading).

Just checked dog in question and the bruise area seems to be less red and purple....mystery....definitely need to check in with the vet.

Guest sweetpea

My first experience with doggie bruising was with Brodie (ancient ridgeback), his blood counts went all out of whack from

one infection after another after another (and treating each one with a different medication).

The vets called it idiopathic thrombocytopenia, he was one big purple bruise on his entire under-carriage.

Treatment was a course of prednisone, which we then slowly weaned him off of.

He recovered, no problem.

Then, when Sweetpea took a swan-dive off the stairs last March, she got some scrapes and regular bruisey type bruises.

I'm just not used to being able to see the bruising, but with her whispy hair and thin thin skin, they're very visible.

It's harder when you don't know where the bruise came from. I was a wreck with Brodie, I came back from vacation and he was

like that, I thought someone had beaten him!

Good luck!

Buzzy

In my experience they can bruise just like us, my angel Mulder once slipped when running on wet grass and ended up with a huge purple bruise that spread from his "armpit" and across his chest. If bruises large or small are happening without any know injury then certainly get it checked out.

btw. having just seen the pics above (from Trudy) I would just add that the bruise Mulder had was from a torn muscle which then bled into the skin around the area, the bruising in the pics above looks like petechial bleeding which tends to be caused by hitting something (or being hit by something).

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Guest MorganKonaAlex

They definitely can bruise. Sorry for the graphic photo but here's an example of bruising from trauma. In this case, Morgan's amputation:

Morgan_amputation.jpg

My first experience with doggie bruising was with Brodie (ancient ridgeback), his blood counts went all out of whack from

one infection after another after another (and treating each one with a different medication).

The vets called it idiopathic thrombocytopenia, he was one big purple bruise on his entire under-carriage.

Treatment was a course of prednisone, which we then slowly weaned him off of.

He recovered, no problem.

That sounds similar to what happened to my Kona. The Vet called it vasculitis. I happen to have a photo of it too. DH was travelling so I was sending him photos.

DSC00926.JPG

We never figured out what caused Kona's condition. Several of her body systems were failing and we had to let her go within a few weeks.

Guest EmilyAnne
The consensus you're reading is wrong. They can get huge bruises, just like us.

Yes, and I can tell you this from experience. I had a dog who escaped my yard and sustained massive injuries when hit by a car. (and yes, miraculously, he survived!) His whole body was black and blue, even the inside of his mouth. Their bruises don't get that greenish tinge like ours do though. Theirs goes from black to purple to light purple to all better.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Frank had a bruise on his bum when I picked him up from the boarding kennel (it is unknown how it got there) it was maybe plum sized... It quickly faded (within a day or two) so yes, they can bruise just like us humans.

Yep, they can bruise, although in my experience the bruise tends to look redder than a human bruise, but that might vary dog to dog.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.