Overkill For A Toenail?

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

Spinner pulled out/off a toenail a week ago. The vet said if I could stop the bleeding I didn't need to bring him in, so I didn't. But gradually we noticed the toe bothering him more and more. He was holding the leg up and licking a lot, so I brought him in.

$400 later, Spinner has a bandage, Tramadol and antibiotics. They xrayed the toe to see if he'd amputated not just the nail but also the bone that the nail grows out of (he did, partially, but I can't see that knowing that changed the treatment). They did labs to see if they could give him Rimadyl (one kidney level was a bit up, so they settled on Tramadol instead). They cleaned to toe and bandaged it, and the bandage fell off an hour later. They gave him antibiotics just in case, though the toe is not infected now. Honestly, I'm thinking they could have cut to the chase and given him the same treatment without the xrays and labs and expense. I'm not used to this office, and the vets talk fast. Does what they did make any sense?

Am I just being a cheapskate, or did they go a little overboard on procedures and charges?

I miss my old vet.

Edited by SusanP

Maybe some of each? They're being really careful, but there's some argument for doing that since it was still bothering them. And, while we tend to think, "just a toe" -- a toe can make a dog awfully miserable. Then, too, there'd be an argument for you to say "Wait just a minute here. Tell me how this test you're proposing will change -- or not -- the course of treatment for him."

It's likely that the kidney level that was up was creatinine; that's normal in greyhounds, especially when stressed, and wouldn't indicate any kidney issues.

I will say, I think they're kind of pricey. The same course of treatment and tests at my vet here would be about half what you paid.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SusanP

I didn't mean to trivialize Spinner's injury! I am very glad he's on pain meds and antibiotics. It's how we got there that I'm questioning. I've had the impression vet prices are rising rapidly, but this is a clinic that has grown hugely in the 2 years since it began, and I'm beginning to feel taken to the cleaners. I used to discuss everything with my old vet. There's something about these vets that makes it difficult for me to follow or question, and I don't like that either. But this is the bug e-clinic, open 24 hrs, all the fancy equipment...

But I'd rather have a vet I can communicate with and afford.

Batmom, we're right across the big river from you, so I'm thinking it's not a regional price difference.

Yes, kind of. They covered all bases and one can't fault them for that. It sounds like you got excellent care for your dog, and the total price for everything you got is pretty reasonable. The antibiotics are a MUST for a foot wound. The rest, one could make arguments both for and against. Everything that was done was done to ensure the best possible outcome. I definately wouldn't fault their intentions.

Lynn

Guest LindsaySF

I agree with the treatment (I'm one of those better safe than sorry kinda people, let's cover all the bases), but the total cost seems high to me.

ETA: I just read that this was an emergency clinic. That would explain the higher prices. It doesn't always make sense, but many emergency places charge a lot more for the same stuff you get at a regular vet.

Edited by LindsaySF

Didn't think you were trivializing, not at all!

I think you nailed the type of difference. There are vets I could go to here, who have more advanced equipment and who charge more. I *have* gone to those vets, for specialized things that mine can't do. But for things where my vets do have the equipment and experience, ... well, we're used to talking to each other and there is a lot to be said for that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I've been stunned too many times by charges at the vet. I always make clear that money IS an issue, and I need to know how much things cost before they're done, and what the tests will show, and what will change about the treatment knowing what the test will show. Your dog is the patient, but you are the consumer! My vet totally understands that while I love my animals, I'm not wealthy, and I do have the right to know what I'm paying for in advance!

I hope your dog feels better soon!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SusanP

This is both and e-clinic and a regular clinic. 2 regular vet's offices merged and set it up in a new bldg, so many new staff and vets I can't keep track--we got dragged along in the process, following our old vet. After a year, she bailed out--sold out her ownership, but she had a no competition clause and is now a 45 min drive away.

Even if I find a "regular vet" I have confidence in, I'd still end up at this big clinic after hours and for big emergencies. I feel trapped.

I guess I'm thinking now that Spinner didn't need xrays and labs to go on an antibiotic and Tramadol.

I onceheard one of the owners ridiculing people who shop around for a vet by calling and asking for prices. While it's true that the important thing is my dogs' care, I don't believe that vets who charge less are necessarily less competent.

And to be honest, had their prices been what they were 3 years ago, I'd have brought Spinner to the vet immediately with the toe instead of trying to wait. (I did call, and they told me not to bring him if the bleeding stopped, but in my gut I wanted him on an antibiotic). So if I avoid going to the vet because of high prices, maybe I'd be better off elsewhere.

Edited by SusanP

I think the labs were to check if they could give you Rimadyl, that's the safe way to go. I've been through this 4 times with one of my girls and the price doesn't matter because here, you get raped no matter where you go. Smart move getting an antibiotic and Tramadol. I hope he feels much better

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest SusanP

yes, the labs were to see if Rimadyl would be ok. but they could have skipped that and used Tramadol in the first place if it is a good option, right?

yes, the labs were to see if Rimadyl would be ok. but they could have skipped that and used Tramadol in the first place if it is a good option, right?

Tramadol is a great option, but I can tell you that 2 of the times Misty went through it, it was really painful for her and I know my vet would have prefered to give her Rimadyl, stornger for pain, but she can't take it.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I agree with you here. I personally prefer Tramadol to Rimadyl unless there's a specific reason Rimadyl is indicated, which I don't think it was here. Maybe the reports of Tramadol's side effects will roll in once dogs have been on it longer, but so far it looks good and there are quite a few dogs who don't do well on Rimadyl (including Neyla). Not saying there aren't good uses for it, but if Tramadol is sufficient for pain management here then I think it's the better option, and you could have avoided the bloodwork.

I can't speak to the x-rays, I'm not sure what knowing what they tell you offers. It sounds to me like you're not comfortable with your vet. If you can't trust them b/c you're worried they're ripping you off, that's not a good relationship. I think it's worth seeking out someone who you are more comfortable working with, and just going to them for emergencies or treatments your own vet cannot offer like Batmom said. If you do need to use them, don't be afraid to ask questions. The best questions are "what will this test/procedure tell us" and "how will what we find out affect our treatment options".

Anyway, overall I agree that they were just being thorough, but I also think you could have opted for a less thorough course and saved a lot of money.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."