What Do Gt'ers Recommend For Ticks?

Can someone tell me what they recommend to keep ticks off of their hounds?

We are having a terrible problem of late with Toby and ticks.

We have always used Advantix on our dogs. Our bridge angel whippet, who loved to bask in the sun and spend tons of time in the yard, rarely had a tick on him.

Toby, who runs out to the yard only to pee and poop, and prefers to spend the rest of the day inside (other than his daily leash walks we do with him) has just been covered with ticks lately. They are tiny when my son finds them and removes them from him, but it has me really worried. We've lived in the same house for over 10 yrs so it's not like we've just moved to a new place with different soil or anything like that...

I'm calling our vet tomorrow to see what she recommends but I was wondering what GT'ers were using to prevent ticks.

I should add that Toby doesn't have a single flea on him--just ticks. So K9 Advantix seems to be doing half the job.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Frontline. It kills them.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Vote #2 for Frontline. Wish I didn't have to use it but it works.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest SoulsMom

I use the Preventic collar. Works great. But you can't use it if you have cats in the house.

Our ticks much have moved south, haven't had a problem hardly at all this year and I have a 22acre forest behind my house. I took Soul's tick collar off of him in August and he hasn't needed it since.

Guest SLM4956
We are using Frontline Plus...it was recommended by our Adoption Group :rolleyes: We used it for the 1st time yesterday....We shall have to wait and see, I guess!

I've used frontline plus forever. Works great. I've never pulled a tick off of Argos or my cat, and we spend a lot of time in tall grass and the woods.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

We use Frontline here as well but chose the spray.

It's messier and a bit more time consuming to use but I always used it since it first came out so just stuck with it.

No buggies here :)

I use Frontline Plus and have used Revolution as well, with no ill effects. Revolution doesn't cover as many tick species as Frontline Plus does, however.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

We went through a tick INFESTATION (really, NOT too strong a word, it was freaking horrible) a few summers ago. MONTHS of picking 5-10 ticks off every dog, every day. Frontline, Frontline Plus, etc etc etc did NOTHING. What finally worked, I'm sorry to tell you, was a good hard freeze.

It sucked, and I completely feel for you.

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Guest TheDoggfather

Hmmm...Let's see. Always having around 50 dogs on the farm and 4 here at home, when we treat for tick/fleas w/ Sevin dust (which we only do when nothing else seems to work)... the bugs are GONE. And no dead/sick dogs! Just dead bugs! Of course, you have to know how to administer/treat with it.

Guest TheDoggfather

That being said, too... we understand that sevin dust proooobably isn't the best thing for us or our dogs to be around, that's why we're always looking for better, safer, and healthier alternatives. In our ongoing research, we've found something that we're going to give a try... Food Grade, Diatomaceous Earth:

http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/product...mp;idproduct=39

Frontline...

My house/yard is sprayed by Terminix every 3 months, no fleas no bugs no spiders or ticks. When I had norwegian elkhounds & lived on a lake, I sprinkled sevin dust also, works wonders! Sevin is safe to put on dogs...been told that by many many dog experts.

Edited by Pipi5

PS: Collars - can be more problems - check with your vet. I haven't heard anything good about them. Collars have insecticides on them - check the internet - you should find lots of info.

If you check the internet you will find that Preventic collars are considered safe for greys and many, many groups recommend them. The main problem with them is that people put them on too loosely so they are not as effective..

Actually, you will find that generally Preventic is more accepted than Advantix, which contains Permethin. Many argue that greyhounds can be especially sensitive to Permethin.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

OK, I just spoke to my vet and told her about our tick problem and how the K9 Advantix isn't working, etc. She said that's why her practice stopped selling Advantage/tix products some time ago. (I've been buying it through 800 Pet Meds).

At any rate, she said she recommends Frontline Plus and that even though I just recently dosed Toby with his monthly Advantix, I could go ahead and dose him with Frontline Plus.

So I will give that a try.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

OK, I just spoke to my vet and told her about our tick problem and how the K9 Advantix isn't working, etc. She said that's why her practice stopped selling Advantage/tix products some time ago.

If your vet thought Advantage worked on ticks, I'd take a hard second look. Advantage does not, and does not claim to work on ticks, but if you only have fleas it ueually works far better than Frontline. Word among the vets here is this years bumper crop of fleas is Frontline resistant. :dunno

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

OK, I just spoke to my vet and told her about our tick problem and how the K9 Advantix isn't working, etc. She said that's why her practice stopped selling Advantage/tix products some time ago.

If your vet thought Advantage worked on ticks, I'd take a hard second look. Advantage does not, and does not claim to work on ticks, but if you only have fleas it ueually works far better than Frontline. Word among the vets here is this years bumper crop of fleas is Frontline resistant. :dunno

Well, there is advantage and advantix. Advantix (which is what I was buying) is supposed to kill fleas and ticks.

I know that Advantage is flea only.

So in her opinion the Advantage doesn't work on fleas either? Or did she just have a problem with Bayer?

We didn't get into a long discussion over it, so unfortunately I can't tell you. I just know that all she sells in her ofc are the Frontline products now, and she said that in her opinion, frontline is much better than advantix for the tick problems we're experiencing. As I said, I think the advantix is working great as far as fleas go; we haven't found a single one on toby. But I've got to find something better for him to help with the tick situation.