Comment From E-vet

Guest SoulsMom

Guest SoulsMom

Soul had to go to the E-vet on Saturday. When the vet was examining him, she was listening to his heart and said "Yup, he has the heart of an athlete". Has anyone's vet ever said this before? Is this a good or bad thing :unsure

It's a good thing, means he's healthy.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

When you can hear them beat from across the room- when their ears twitch slightly as the mitral valves snap shut- when you can see the heart beating through the walls of the thorax- you know you have one heck of a chunk of heart in that rib cage!

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

When I took Icarus to the evet for the first time, the vet on duty said the same thing to me. He explained that a greyhounds heart beats slower than other dogs and that it can often sound like it has a murmur at first.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

At Sherri's first vet visit after I adopted her, I heard the same thing.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest SoulsMom
Why did the SoulMan have to go to the e-vet?

He refused breakfast on Sat morn, and by Sat afternoon was acting very weird. Arching his back and shaking, standing at the front door with his head hanging and his tail tucked. Bloodwork came back normal, but the rectal exam showed blood in his stools so now he's on Flagyl and Panur.

He hasn't had a sold bowel movement since Sat Morning :(

I agree, good thing. An athelete has a good, slow healthy sounding heart.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SoulsMom
SoulMan, this is your fan club here in the Desert, please get well! I think you've been through quite enough lately!

Awww, thanks. It does seem like a bit much lately, huh? But I'm happy to report that he made me happy with a semi solid poo tonight and no blood! :yay

Thanks for all the reassuring comments. With all he's had happen lately I was worried that it was meant in a bad way. You know, like the retired athletes that are all beat up and old before their time. I must watch too much football :blush

Guest SoulsMom
When you can hear them beat from across the room- when their ears twitch slightly as the mitral valves snap shut- when you can see the heart beating through the walls of the thorax- you know you have one heck of a chunk of heart in that rib cage!

Maybe that's what your mystery noise is :P

My vet has also told me that greyhounds have larger hearts than other dogs - something that, I know, wouldn't surprise anyone here. :wub:

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.