Metacam Question

Guest EmbersDad

Guest EmbersDad

ember has arthritis in her middle toe on the right front foot. after the toe next to it, on the left was amputated, the knuckle started swelling and she would come up lame in the back yard. usually she would walk it off and be ok. we had the foot xrayed, sent the results to OSU, and are confident it isnt cancer. she has gone just about 2 months on the "get up and go" supplements from the greyhound gang and it does appear to be working....took longer to come up lame nowadays. well, for the last 2 days she has been limping pretty good. vet checked her out today, lymph nodes arent swollen, temp normal, heart & lungs sound clear. we decided to start her back on metacam and i dosed her with 4 ml around lunchtime. its now 3:55 and i just put her in the yard to potty before the rains come, and i see NO LIMP!!!! can it start working that fast? does my girlie now predict the weather with her foot? its not raining, but will be soon.

here is the right foot, notice the swollen knuckle

157lq4y.jpg

here is the other foot for comparison

2hej2ae.jpg

Edited by EmbersDad

Yes, it can work that quickly. It's as if you took an anti-inflammatory, it has the same effect.

Remembering the games we used to play: Games We Used to Play: A Hop, Skip and Jump Down Memory Lane

Oscar (Answer to Chevy): 8/23/02-8/13/07 & Dee (Cee Bar Denise): 12/23/98-8/28/08.

Order your own copy of Oscar's Diaries: Life as a Retired Greyhound

I've had several dogs on Metacam, but found that it took 2-3 days to work. That's great if it's worked so quickly for Ember.I've always been told that an anti-inflammatory takes about 3 days to build up in the system, but guess not!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest EmbersDad
I've had several dogs on Metacam, but found that it took 2-3 days to work. That's great if it's worked so quickly for Ember.I've always been told that an anti-inflammatory takes about 3 days to build up in the system, but guess not!

she is taking glucosamine and msm. perhaps the metacam + the msm had a faster effect?

Guest whatahound

Nikki had the same thing happen to a toe on a foot that already had a toe amputated. It was xrayed and determined it was arthritis. It worked very quickly, if I remember correctly she was on 1 ml per 10 pounds of body weight.

When it flairs up I just give her a few doses of metacam and she good as new.

Guest longdogs

It is both an analgesic and an anti-inflammatory. The pain-killing effect can kick-in quite fast but things will improve further once the inflammation is addressed. I reckon on about a week or a little less for the full effect to be reached (assuming a double dose for initial treatment).

Guest EmbersDad
It is both an analgesic and an anti-inflammatory. The pain-killing effect can kick-in quite fast but things will improve further once the inflammation is addressed. I reckon on about a week or a little less for the full effect to be reached (assuming a double dose for initial treatment).

thats what my vet said. she told me to use it for a week and see how she does. sadly, no walkies for the week in case it is a soft tissue injury.

Guest EmilyAnne

Glad to hear Metacam is working so well for Ember and he is feeling better! :)

Our late Alfalfa tried all kinds of arthritis meds and the Metacam worked best for him better than anything else and had the least negative side effects. And I do remember it started working pretty quickly, within 24 hours. I was very impressed! I can't tell if it increased his thirst cause he was diabetic and was already drinking huge amounts of water due to the diabetes.

Try doing as follows: Give a pepcid (10 mg famotidine), wait 30-40 minutes, then give the metacam with a meal or substantial snack (slice of bread; large dog biscuit or a handful of small ones).

She might be drinking because her tummy's a little upset / acid-y feeling.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest EmbersDad

i did 5 days of metacam. it took away the limp almost completely. after stopping, its back again. we are off to the vet at 1:20 for a followup. i am going to ask for xrays. could this also be from a tick bite?

% days isn't likely long enough. Jill gets the same thing and the last time she needed a full 14 days of the meloxicam and no running for 4 weeks. It is likely a chronic problem that will need addressing periodically but 5 days isn't long enough.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest EmbersDad
% days isn't likely long enough. Jill gets the same thing and the last time she needed a full 14 days of the meloxicam and no running for 4 weeks. It is likely a chronic problem that will need addressing periodically but 5 days isn't long enough.

chronic and manageble...now thats a c word i wouldnt mind hearing. i will post after we return from the vet.

Guest longdogs

After 5 days the Meloxicam would just be beginning to work properly. You would need to continue for at least another week to beat the inflammation. William's limp used to return after about a fortnight, during Winter, when we stopped his medication. We eventually dosed him for a fortnight, then tapered his dose back to half the normal amount and kept him on it. That seemed to work well.