Sunny And Sophie Collided

Hawthorn

Sunny and Sophie collided head on in the garden yesterday.

Initially Sophie seemed OK apart from some cuts and grazes. Today, however, she started with some strange behaviour: fly-catching imaginary flies, licking her front legs, staring at the walls, ceiling etc. We took her to the emergency vet who diagnosed it as a mild seizure and gave her 20mg valium. The valium stopped the fly-catching but made her hyperactive. After 3 hours on the valium the fly catching has started again. I will give her 10mg more valium in another hour as instructed by the vet.

I will take her to our regular vet tomorrow, but someone please tell me she will be OK.

I feel sick.

Edited to say thank you to all those who replied to my earlier thread in Everything Else Greyhound.

Edited by Hawthorn

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest greytexplorer

so sorry to hear about their accident! Think it might be a concussion?

Sophie, you poor baby! Lie down and rest, so your mommy can relax a bit, too.

hugs to all,

~Pat

On the possibility that there is swelling of the brain or spinal cord, is there anything the e-vet can prescribe until tomorrow? Prednisone comes to mind, but can't be administered if NSAIDs have already been used.

Thinking good thoughts,

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I am so sorry to see the Sophie is having some side affects of the collision. It does sound like a concussion - from the photo it looked like they may have bumped heads. Prednisone would help with inflammation. Hopefully your vet will give you a good report and prescribe something to help her with the healing. Keep us posted. We'll send good thoughts your way.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

" fly-catching imaginary flies, licking her front legs, staring at the walls, ceiling etc."

I had the same behavior when someone decided to close the station wagon tail gate before I got my head out of the way.. :lol

Sounds like a mild concussion but better safe then sorry, even if she isn't acting that way in the morning, you may wanna get her checked out at your vet tomorrow

Greg

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Hi All

Thanks for checking in on us.

Sophie had a nice quiet night and has been much more her normal self today but we took her to the vet anyway and just got back a little while ago. He examined her very thoroughly and said everything was as it should be. He doesn't really know whether her "seizure" was caused by the collision or not, as it happened 24 hours afterwards, so it's just a case of wait and see if it happens again and take it from there. I'll be keeping her quiet and lead-walking her only for a few more days, and we've got a supply of valium and instructions on how much to give if it should happen again.

I've hardly eaten or slept at all for the last 24 hours but am feeling a bit better now and my husband is cooking me a meal! I feel as if I maybe overreacted :blush but I think this was as much because of the shock of seeing them collide as all the worry about Sophie's symptoms. It really was very scary seeing it happen and hearing Sophie's scream and it keeps replaying in my head.

Anyway, thanks again, it really is very comforting knowing that you are all out there somewhere, even if most of you are on the other side of the world!

Here's a totally gratuitous picture of my pretty little girl:

0808130113R.jpg

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

She's breathtakingly gorgeous! You didn't overreact, you acted just right, by the sound of it. :)

My thoughts exactly! I'm so glad she will be fine. Enjoy your meal and get some rest! :)

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I'm so glad everything checked out alright. May I recommend using a harness for walks? If the injury was in her neck, using a harness will avoid strain from the leash pulling on the collar.

Remember to breathe!

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

She's breathtakingly gorgeous! You didn't overreact, you acted just right, by the sound of it. :)

My thoughts exactly! I'm so glad she will be fine. Enjoy your meal and get some rest! :)

I agree. You did the right thing. I'm so glad she's going to be okay. She is absolutely gorgeous!