How Often Are You Supposed To Worm?

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest greytful4

How often are you supposed to worm them? What can you use andhow do you know if they need it? Reading that thread the other daymade me realize that my girl hasn't been wormed since I adopted her three years ago. I don't ever see anything unusal in her poop.... :unsure

If you are using a monthly heartworm preventative like Interceptor, it takes care of most worms:

INTERCEPTOR Flavor Tabs for dogs prevent deadly heartworm disease, while protecting your dog against roundworms (Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina), hookworms (Ancylostoma caninum) and whipworms (Trichuris vulpis).

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

deleted because I'm an idiot and posted my response in the wrong thread :rolleyes:

Did anyone say "short bus"? :lol:

Edited by merlinsmum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I only worm mine when they come home. They aren't at risk for contracting worms at this point, so I don't fret over it. They do get annual physicals and heartworm checks, in addition, they take Heartgard Plus in the summer months.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Monthly preventative/annual checks here, never needed more than that.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Your monthly heartworm preventive should protect against a few basic types of worms (though not tapeworm, which dogs get from eating infected fleas; meds for that are different).

I usually don't give another wormer unless I see worms or they show up on a fecal exam. I end up having a fecal @ once a year -- because it's required for obedience classes, because something isn't quite right, or dogs have been someplace where lots of dogs go and we haven't checked in awhile. It's a quick, cheap check.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest longdogs
If you are using a monthly heartworm preventative like Interceptor, it takes care of most worms:

INTERCEPTOR Flavor Tabs for dogs prevent deadly heartworm disease, while protecting your dog against roundworms (Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina), hookworms (Ancylostoma caninum) and whipworms (Trichuris vulpis).

Not all monthly heartworm preventatives will do this, only those with additional drugs added for intestinal worms. Even these products often don't work against tapeworms and may not shift well-established colonies of whips or hooks.

Check what kind of heartworm preventative you are using, assuming you are in a heartworm area. It will say on the packet if it protects against worms other than heartworm. A plain heartwormer does not give additional protection. If you are using one of these, you should think about worming at least quarterly. Where there is a high risk of infection you may need to do it more frequently. Alternatively you can get a regular faecal test and act accordingly, although it's often cheaper simply to administer a precautionary pill.

If you walk your dog in parks or anywhere else frequented by other dogs, they are at risk of worms. If they get worms other than tapes you won't necessarily notice anything. Worm infections are generally not serious but one dog with worms will do a good job of infecting others. Children can also pick up certain kinds from dogs, so it is good in an urban environment to ensure your dog isn't part of the problem.