Car Travel - How Do I Make The Trip Safe?

Guest jaxmax

We live in the city so we barely use a car. This weekend we are going on our first car ride and are using a rental car. The trip will be about 4 hrs long. It was recommended that I use a harness and attach it to the safety belt. The pet store owner gave us an Eva chest plate harness by Sierra dog supply. I was wondering what other people's experiences are and what you think of the harness?

we use our regular martingale collars and hook the leashes into the seatbelts to make sure that there is little chance of an "escape".

Do you leave enough length on the leash so they can move around and stand? or would that much leash make it dangerous if you had to put a quick foot on the break?

I have used a harness in the past, and I liked it for those times when I had to stop short. But there are only certain brands that are really tested for use in the car, so do some research. The one I used was not (just a regular Premier harness), and I have no doubt that in a serious car crash it would not have protected Riley. Now, I keep Riley in the very back of my car (I have a Pontiac Vibe - same as Toyota Matrix). This way he is behind a barrier so he can't fly forward. I keep my smaller dogs in a crate. I just don't feel comfortable having them loose in the car. I don't know what would happen in a serious crash, though. Hopefully I never find out. :goodluck

I would not use a martingale collar, personally. If a dog is attached to the car by the neck, they will choke if they fly forward.

I have used a harness in the past, and I liked it for those times when I had to stop short. But there are only certain brands that are really tested for use in the car, so do some research. The one I used was not (just a regular Premier harness), and I have no doubt that in a serious car crash it would not have protected Riley. Now, I keep Riley in the very back of my car (I have a Pontiac Vibe - same as Toyota Matrix). This way he is behind a barrier so he can't fly forward. I keep my smaller dogs in a crate. I just don't feel comfortable having them loose in the car. I don't know what would happen in a serious crash, though. Hopefully I never find out. :goodluck

I would not use a martingale collar, personally. If a dog is attached to the car by the neck, they will choke if they fly forward.

Thanks for the info

Guest hermione

We don't seatbelt our girls when in a vehicle. Our friends who have 4 dogs, leave their leashes on the dog in case one jumps out when they open the door they can grab the leash. They also harness their dogs.

We use harnesses. Always. Although, depending on the dog, you may need to do some training before they are comfortable with it. One of you might want to sit with the grey at first as you seldom drive.

My Murphy took a long time to get used to the harness but, as he wanted to help steer, it was an absolute necessity to get him used to being secured in the back.

Quite aside from the escape risk, an unsecured dog can be a serious risk to the driver's concentration, and in a collision can become a flying missile. A collision will almost certainly kill an unsecured dog, and will probably take you out too.

Our greymobile is a Subaru Forester and Murphy and Catwalk travel in the back with the harnesses attached to the luggage tie downs. Pilgrim is in the back seat attached to the seat belt. I'm thinking of getting one of those metal barrier things to stop the back riders from flying forward because I don't quite trust the luggage ties.

They also all know that in the back of *my* Camry (maximum dog transport is 2 only) that they must be harnessed and belted in.

As someone else said, I don't think it is a good idea to use a leash and martingale. Choking and neck breaking . . .

Edited by Saffron

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Wow, I feel like a bad owner now. My wife and I dont use a harness, in fact, we take off the leash when we put our guy in the back of the vehicle. Our two vehicles are both SUV (bad bad gas guzzling americans). One is a Jeep Liberty and the other a Mitsubishi Outlander. Bart gets in and will usually lay down within 2 minutes. We have taken him on many rides, even 4 hour long garage sale outings on saturdays and he just sleeps in the back. Of course we have a doggie bed for him in each vehicle. Spoiled?

We use harnesses. Always. Although, depending on the dog, you may need to do some training before they are comfortable with it. One of you might want to sit with the grey at first as you seldom drive.

My Murphy took a long time to get used to the harness but, as he wanted to help steer, it was an absolute necessity to get him used to being secured in the back.

Quite aside from the escape risk, an unsecured dog can be a serious risk to the driver's concentration, and in a collision can become a flying missile. A collision will almost certainly kill an unsecured dog, and will probably take you out too.

Our greymobile is a Subaru Forester and Murphy and Catwalk travel in the back with the harnesses attached to the luggage tie downs. Pilgrim is in the back seat attached to the seat belt. I'm thinking of getting one of those metal barrier things to stop the back riders from flying forward because I don't quite trust the luggage ties.

They also all know that in the back of *my* Camry (maximum dog transport is 2 only) that they must be harnessed and belted in.

Thanks, your information was really helpful!

As someone else said, I don't think it is a good idea to use a leash and martingale. Choking and neck breaking . . .

Thanks, your information was really helpful!

You are very welcome!

I'm sorry if I sounded obnoxiously preachy, but a few years ago a friend of mine was killed in a low speed (40MPH) collision because her 40lb mix breed was unsecured. He hit her head flying forward and, yes, he died too.

Lord only knows what happens in high speed collisions :(

Edited by Saffron

Gillian
Caesar (Black Caesarfire) and Olly (Oregon) the Galgo

Still missing: Nell (spaniel mix) 1982-1997, Boudicca (JRT) 1986- 2004, and the greys P's Catwalk 2001-2008, Murphy Peabody (we failed fostering) 1998-2010 and Pilgrim (Blazing Leia) 2003-2016,

I needed the extra support to show my husband how important this is. He let his last dog loose in the car before I knew him. I'm sure I'll have to sit in the back seat with him at the beginning of the car ride. I tried the harness on him for size and he was already chewing on it to get it off.

We leave our dog loose in the far back of our truck. I take his leash off also, because if something ever happens (god forbid) I don't want him running loose with a leash attached that can get hung up. We have a gate behind the back seat so he can't fly forward in a collision.

In our civic, he lays on the backseat. No leash, but no guard for us either. I've honestly never thought about it, but he won't be riding in the civic with us anymore anyway, since we're about to have a baby and they won't both fit.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I have a Prius and Carl is always harnessed and belted in the back seat, even for a quick trip down to the store. He wears a step-in harness which came with a clip to a D ring on the back of his harness and the other part snaps into the seatbelt. I got this shortly after I got him. I didn't give him time to adjust to it, I just put him in it and that was it. I also leave his leash on him, it makes it easier to grab when he gets out. If he were to be able to get out of his restraint I'd feel better about him having his leash on so I (or someone else) could grab him quickly.

A friend was in an accident an her dog wasn't restrained, he nearly died from being tossed around in the car. I took my lesson through her awful situation.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Thank you for being safety conscious.

Hmm, having been in a lower speed collision and having a dog get injured, I now have changed how we transport.

We have them tethered to the seat belt by a traffic lead and a harness. The dogs have gotten used to it. Years ago we used to do this and then I got away from the practice.

In an accident, a dog can become a projectile. This can cause serious harm to you and the dog.

Thank you for being safety conscious.

Hmm, having been in a lower speed collision and having a dog get injured, I now have changed how we transport.

We have them tethered to the seat belt by a traffic lead and a harness. The dogs have gotten used to it. Years ago we used to do this and then I got away from the practice.

In an accident, a dog can become a projectile. This can cause serious harm to you and the dog.

Sweet Potato is very beautiful. I enjoyed looking at his pictures. I was wondering how he lost the hair on his neck. Jax is starting to lose his and I am wondering if it is from his collar or leash.

• 1 year later...
Guest Bang_o_rama

In a SERIOUS crash - one where the car structure and air bags are seriously challenged to keep the human occupants alive - I fear the hounds will not fare well at all; dog safety simply is not what cars are designed for. But in the "grey area" of panic stops and lower-speed crashes, I am pretty sure that not having the houndies turn into projectiles is a good idea for everyone in the car. A large cage with a large dog within, heading toward the windshield at highway speed, sounds quite lethal.

I have really struggled with this issue. I'd like to have everybody safely buckled in with harnesses. I got one of the good looking recommended harnesses (Ruff Rider, I think) for Piper. It fit nicely and looked as if he had enough slack to move around. We didn't even get out of the driveway before Piper got himself tangled up in it and panicked. :eek I just gave up on using it. He road in the back seat of my Forester.

Now that I've got 3 hounds and have gone to using harnesses for walking, I load everybody up in the far back of the Forester, with the seats down, and hook leashes to the seatbelt. That will keep them from running away if we have an accident but provides little safety for them. I'm going to add a barrier, which should contain them a bit and add a little more protection for them.

I wish I had a vehicle that would accommodate 3 large crates, but that is not going to happen any time in the foreseeable future.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I have always used this:

Canine Auto Restraint

It does take the dogs a few trips to get used to so they don't get tangled, but it is worth it. I would not let my dog be unrestrained in the car, and I also would not tether them with their martingale, they could be choked in a crash. I do not remember the G-force in a crash, but even at very low speeds, they could be a projectile into the windshield, injuring themselves and/ or you & your passengers. If I wear my seatbelt, so does my dog.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I also recommend Kurgo. I had never thought about my dogs being loose in a car until I read of a horrific accident and a dog flying through the windshield. I have had enough heartbreak in recent years and decided to do the right thing and get a proper harness. Well that ended up being quite decision between one harness and another claiming to be the best. I got the Kurgo that comes with the overhead line (although I don't use the overhead part) because the "leash" part of it is longer than the regular model and gives my dog ability to stand or sit. Also the Kurgo goes on easily, they don't have to step into it. If you call the company they will give you details regarding the safety of their product, I was impressed. I was very happy with my choice and now I know my dog is safe if there is an accident plus keep in mind that a lot of dogs survive an accident BUT get loose and killed in the road, with the Kurgo this can't happen. anne

eaglflyt' date='07 December 2009 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1260216622' post='4334734']

I can recommend this system: KURGO

Edited by brit1