Update On Beau After 3 Acuptucture

RobinM

Beau's hind quarters have been a mystery to everyone, including OSU, an ortho and Cornell.

We started him on acupunture with the same dr that has been working on Teddy (and has been majorly improved) and it's a miracle I tell you, a miracle!!!!!!! :lol

But seriously, he is walking with the bounce in his step. When he lifts one leg to pee, having the other support him, it no longer quivers and when he gets up, it doesn't take him a minute or three to start walking normally.

For those of you who have questioned whether or not to do it, give it a chance to work- it's marvelous. They say 6 time for improvement if there is to be improvement and it could get worse before it gets better. Beau was much worse after the first session.

Does he like it? NO! Does he whine from the moment we pull up in front of the vet to the time we leave? YES! But, I'm the mom and he's the dog. Does he scream before the doc touches him? YES! I tell HIM what's good for him, even though, at the time, he doesn't like it.

His quality of life in the last 2 weeks has been like it was when I first got this crazy boy.

My ONLY concern is that he is such a nut case again, because he feels so good, that the flies up and down the stairs, does 180's as he comes around corners at lightening speeds. That is how he orginally hurt his leg over a year ago! Silly Beau.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

My friend is considering surgery for her non-grey, I'm trying to convince her to check into acupuncture first. I'm going to show her your post! Glad to hear Beau is doing well. :)

Here's my story, for what it's worth:

My boy Rascal did TERRIBLY at his first acupuncture appointment. to the point where I said never again!

Then I took him to a wonderful Chiropractor who said that Rascal really needed the Chiropractic adjustment BEFORE the acupuncture's treatment. That the "flow" wasn't able to move thru his body the way it should due to whatever was out of alignment. Rascal trotted out of his chiropractic apointment like a puppy! and has been Happy, Happy ever since!

So, my lesson was, chiropractor first,, than acupuncture. although I still have never done another acupuncture treatment for Rascal. I'm now a firm believer in chiropractic.

I do think both kinds of treatments are really good for our kids,,,, and us too!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Alan had a horrible experience this past Thurs. evening, as some of you may know. He hadn't had an acupuncture treatment in almost 3 months and his rear leg weakness was getting worse. I went to a different vet that does the acupuncture - and it's Sat. and Alan's still not "right". Last night I could hardly sleep just watching him. He was not himself AT ALL. I know the "it may get worse before it gets better" thing - I do hope it applies to my Alan again. The first 6 treatments did help him. I never considered chiropractic treatments and maybe I will look into it. My boy just stresses beyond belief, and given his age and his medical conditions, I really have to think twice about how to proceed. I am so glad that Teddy and Beau are doing better. That's greyt!

Guest EmilyAnne

Robin, that is so awesome!!!!!!!!!! :yay You go Beau, show em' what your made of! :banana

Henry is going through chiropractic, and he did get worse before getting better. The night of his first adjustment was his absolute worst he has ever had in our care. Thank goodness for the ice pack or I know I would of had to carry a seizuring dog out to the van (and I've NO idea how I would have pulled that off!) and go to the vet ER at 4 am.

Since then, Henry has not had any Grand-Mals or even any Focal seizures. The focals he used to have quite regularly. I am glad to see those gone. It has been 15 days since his first adjustment, and it has been 15 days since his last Grand-Mal.

He has had one other adjustment since then, and did not seize.

You can read more about it here if anyone is interested: http://thebarfblog-emily.blogspot.com/

Great news!! I don't really understand the concept of acupuncture but I do know it works. When Tanner was having it, the vet also talked about the "flow" that 3dognite speaks of. It's the flow of energy through the body, and when that is blocked, there's a problem. The vet I went to also adjusted Tanner and the procedure went on for about 6 weeks.Tanner was one that would never lay down anywhere but at home so standing the whole time was difficult for him. I really hated putting him through it all but it was the last thing to try to see if he could be helped. I'm so glad to hear it has helped Beau!!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Greensleeves

Thanks for the report!

Now, any advice on getting the acupuncturist to return your phone calls? My vet and I have been trying to get Nelly in for the last two weeks.... :headwall

Great news, Robin! Dandi goes for his first treatment tomorrow for his L6-7 disk disease. I believe this vet also does chiropractic, so hopefully she'll incorporate that if she feels it will make the acupuncture more effective. This is all assuming Dandi will let the vet touch him. :blink:

Keep us posted on Beau's progress, and I hope he feels this good for a long, long time!

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

That's wonderful news, Robin. I've heard mized opinions about acupuncture - from those who swear by it to those who say it's nothing other than the placebo effect at work. What's important is that it seems to be working for Beau, which is fantastic!!!! :yay:banana:yay

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Two of our dogs have had acu; one had acu and chiro. The vets who did it wanted to see xrays first. They helped better determine treatment.

The acu REALLY helped one dog. Chaucer couldn't get up w/o help. We knew he had calcifications (bone spurs, I think the vet called them.)

After only one treatment he was able to get up on his own. He had 2 more treatments and that's all he needed the next 3 years of his life. It was truly a lifesaver for him!

It sort of helped our other dog but nothing as dramatic.

Marcia in SC

That's wonderful news, Robin. I've heard mized opinions about acupuncture - from those who swear by it to those who say it's nothing other than the placebo effect at work. What's important is that it seems to be working for Beau, which is fantastic!!!! :yay:banana:yay

For people I can undrstand the placebo effect, but I don't think Beau gets that!!! :P

it's working now and honestly, that's all I care about. To see him the other way, at such a young age, made me sick.

So, we will continue for as long as it takes!

Thanks!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project