Crate Survey

Guest LindsaySF

Greyhound Crate Survey  

272 members have voted

1. 1. What is the size of the crate (inches)?

• 24L x 18W x 19H
    • 30L x 19W x 21H
    • 36L x 23W x 25H
    • 42L x 28W x 30H
    • 48L x 30W x 33H
    • 54L X 35W X 45H
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. What type of crate is it?

• Wire bars with plastic or metal pan
    • Plastic Vari-Kennel or travel-type crate with Wire Door
    • Canvas or Mesh Soft-Sided Travel Crate
    • Rattan with Wire
    • Other (please explain)
  3. 3. Where is the crate located?

• Living Room / Family Room
    • Dining Room
    • Kitchen
    • Bedroom
    • Basement
    • Other (please explain)

Guest LindsaySF

After reading many of the threads in the Training and Behavior section about crate issues, separation anxiety, etc, I got to thinking about crates.

What size crates are people using for their Greyhounds? (I tend to think in general, dog owners select crates that are too small). Are they using wire crates, or plastic Vari-Kennels? Where is the crate located? All of these factors play a part in the success of crate training, and a dog's reaction to being left crated home alone.

I allowed multiple choices to be selected, in case you have more than one Greyhound and use different crates for them. (But I am mostly asking about the crates used in the home, for when the owner is at work, no one is home, etc. I know some owners have a crate for home use, in addition to crates for travel).

If you select Other, please post in this thread to explain.

I know that many people choose not to crate at all, but it wouldn't let me have more than 3 questions in the poll. :P This is my first poll, I hope it works!

~Lindsay~

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WhenIGiveIn

I generally use the 48" but I have a couple 42" and that is what Lily is in because shes a whole 48lbs lol.

For location i checked other because I crate all dogs but one at night and all dogs when I leave so the spare bedroom acutally is turned into a kennel room.

Flower just completed her first day with us......so, we'll see if she needs the crate long term. I would like to be able to leave her out when we're not home, but, it's way too soon to tell if we'll be able to do that!

I've got the wire (covered with some kind of vinyl) 48" folding crate with a plastic bottom. Got it from the adoption kennel. It's in my living/family room. My house is small, so, there wasn't a lot of choice about placement.

Guest EnzaFerrari

I had one that was 42 by 28 by 31. And while she fit in it, it probably was too small as she never curls up. Ever.

I actually folded it up and stored it on Saturday as she hadn't gone in it in over 6 weeks. She didn't look phased at all when I folded it up and seemed more bothered that I had moved my mountain bike.

I think she likes the extra room to run around to be honest.

Ours are 48 inch crates and we keep them in our bedroom, yep we all sleep in the master bedroom. I have 8 in crates and 2 on the floor on beds.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Dillymom

I have a 48" crate that Lola stopped using a few months ago. I now use it for my foster and he's a big boy. I keep the crate what is technically a dining room but it's really an office and it's where I spend the majority of my day

Guest LindsaySF

I figured I should answer my own poll. :D

I selected Other for Teagan, because he's in an ex-pen. It is in the living room, and Cody is gated in there too when I am not home.

Aidan has a 48" crate, and Clancy gets put in my mom's master bathroom (he busts out of crates :rolleyes:).

We have 4 but only keep one up with the door off for Chloe. Its 48x30. She likes it when she wants to be left alone or a storm so we leave it up with the door off.

Oh and it's in the master bedroom with us!

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I have two wire 48 x 30 crates in my bedroom. I only use them when I'm gone, but I leave the doors open while I'm home, and Diamond chooses to sleep/hang out in them sometimes.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I selected other because the greys aren't crated any more. When I was crating Carmen I used a 42" and she was in my room. Then later I moved her to the downstairs living area with the other dogs. This living area is now officially the dog room.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest rosebudd

I have the 48 in for Leo because he is so tall and Claire fits great in her 36 in. They are in the basement but its not a dungon its the kids play room. They are only in it when I leave the house any way.

Edited by rosebudd

I have 48" crates for the big guy and a 42" for my petite girl (and various sizes for different fosters). All crates used to be in the family room while we were crate training Jack & Chloe and they were still puppies. Now the dogs have their own dog room. Their only crated for a few hours a day while I'm at work, so we put together a room with crates, beds and all the dog "stuff".

I have 2 42 and 1 48 Vari-kennel crates. 1 42 is for visitors the other is for Deniro who would freak without his kennel. He is a den dog for sure even if I am home and the door is open he sleeps in it. The 48 is Bernard's since he is longer and taller than Deniro.

They are only crated when I am not home.

ETA: Deniro's is in the dining area, Bernard's is in my DS bedroom (small apt and they can see each other) the spare is right beside Deniro's basically but it is in the sunroom.

Edited by Gr8NCGreys

Guest RocketDog

I have a ridiculously large crate, the closest dimensions are the 54" so that's what I voted. It's a drop-pin style metal crate, and I bought it off an online classified ad for $90. It is enormous, difficult to assemble, and a huge eyesore. I want to get some nice collapsible wire crates, probably the 48" size just so that it'll fit any grey that possibly comes through our house.

We have crates galore in my 1 bedr condo. Right now there are 2 in my lr and 1 in my bedr, they are all the standard XL size I believe (plenty of room for my 75 lb male, Zuri). Zuri is still crated in my bedroom when I'm gone - I had hoped to have transitioned him out by now but we found early on that leaving him uncrated exacerbated his SA. We're now working on short periods of time uncrated, but I am still finding he's not as calm as when he's left crated. The crates in the living room are for fosters when I have them, feeding my dogs (they're both fed raw) or just for either of my dogs to hang out in (doors are left open when fosters aren't in them). :)

Neyla has been uncrated since about a month or two after I adopted her, five years ago, but she still LOVES them and usually chooses one of them when she's not on the couch with me. My fosters are all crated when I'm not home and some of the time I am home. I've never really had an issue with a dog not liking his crate, at least after a few days of easy crate training sessions, but we do a lot of things to keep the crate a positive place and my dogs (fosters included of course) get ample exercise.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I have a large wire crate, and just sold a plastic one. I much prefer the wire one as it's much easier to travel with. I had a hard time crate training Jamaica with the plastic one. However, I only crate when I have to -- and I can't remember the last time I crated the greys.

Guest greytgrandma

Hot Rod has a big plastic crate. im not sure how big it is but I think its the largest they make. Im so glad he doesnt have to be in it anymore when Josh is at work,even tho he didnt seem to mind I just feel better now that he is free roam part of the house or to stretch out and sleep all day :)

Edited by greytgrandma

Large wire crates in the "dog room". It's a spare room given to the dogs, next to the master bedroom.

I'm actually kicking myself in the rear because I FAR prefer plastic crates for traveling. Lugging a 60-80 pound wire crate vs. a simple, two piece ~25 lb plastic crate. Which would you choose? :rolleyes:

Guest oakmoorehill

I voted other as the cage I use is 48" long 34" wide and 36" high it is in the dogs room . At the moment William and Button share it as they are happiest then but Button does have her own cage the same size but at the moment my whippet puppies are using it.

I do use canvass cages for when w are at shows and these are smaller. The only problem with these is William leans on the side of them when he is inside and knows them over

When we first got both greys, we crated them in the living room only when we were gone. No one ever had to be in one at night. I like it when they snuggle with me. :lol:

Our Ziggy had to be crated for quite a while as he suffered from separation anxiety so badly. He chewed up several pieces of furniture including tearing the back of our loveseat off! :o

Guest CindyMessmore
I generally use the 48" but I have a couple 42" and that is what Lily is in because shes a whole 48lbs lol.

For location i checked other because I crate all dogs but one at night and all dogs when I leave so the spare bedroom acutally is turned into a kennel room.

Our crates are 48 for the Greys, and 42 for the Whippets. The Chihuahua (2) share a crate, I think it a 36. We also crate at nite (except the Chi's they sleep with us) and they all get crated when we're not home. I think 7 loose in the house, unsupervised, could be a disaster. I could be wrong, but not willing to take the chance :colgate

Also, our 1st Greyhound ( she's still with us) had separation anxiety. which didn't start until 3 or 4 weeks after she was in our home, and she bent the crate. SO... I ordered a heavy duty crate directly from Midwest, and got the 2nd Greyhound :D THAT solved the problem.