Billy Is Sick......again

Guest houndlover

Guest houndlover

Billy was sick in the middle/end of July. He had really bad diarhhea (like water) and was vomiting but he seemed better after a day or so (although his poop has never been completely formed since then). Well, he is sick again with the same symptoms. It started yesterday morning. He wouldn't finish his breakfast which is a HUGE clue to me that something is wrong b/c Billy always eats his food. Then he had diarrhea and vomiting during the day and into part of the nite. He still has diarrhea but the vomiting has stopped and he ate some dinner tonite and has kept it down. My friend is a vet tech at the office that I go to so she is going to bring in a stool sample for me in the morning and check for parasites and giardia (although I have no idea how he would have gotten giardia b/c he never leaves my yard). If both come back negative then I think that I am going to have to make an appt for him. He is 11 yo and has never really had any problems like this. I have no idea what my vet would even check for if the tests they run tomorrow come back negative. His symptoms are pretty common for a lot of things...aren't they?

Sending my prayers. Our Angel LaceyLaine had the same symptoms that you are describing in the early stages of her pancreatitis. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest houndlover
Sending my prayers. Our Angel LaceyLaine had the same symptoms that you are describing in the early stages of her pancreatitis. :grouphug

That was one of the dx's that my friend (the vet tech) threw out there when I was talking to her tonite. I know absolutely nothing about pancreatitis except that dogs generally get it when they have eaten something fatty and my dogs don't eat table scraps. Was the vet able to do anything for LaceyLaine's pancreatitis?

I would take him to the vet to have a senior wellness exam done.

I have the seniors checked out every 6 months. Something must work since they seem to live to be 15 or 16 years old. I think of it like changing the oil every 3 months or at the recommended mileage. It is preventive maintenance.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

I'm sorry your boy is feeling under the weather again. :( Would definitely get some bloodwork done on him. Sending prayers and :getwell wishes his way. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest houndlover
I'm sorry your boy is feeling under the weather again. :( Would definitely get some bloodwork done on him. Sending prayers and :getwell wishes his way. :hope

I thought about bloodwork too b/c I wasn't sure what they might do if the stool sample comes back negative. What would they be looking for in the bloodwork? Liver and kidney problems?

I am friends with the vet and everyone there and Billy goes in monthly to have his nails trimmed and the nurse will definitely give him the once over if there is a problem. He had lost 3 lbs in one month when I took him in a week ago. At the time I wasn't overly concerned but now that I think of it he cried and snapped when the tried to pick him up to put him on the table. Maybe his belly hurt at that time but I just didn't put all of the pieces together. My friend that works at the vet just called and said that she forgot to pick up the stool sample this morning. She is going to talk to the vet to see what she wants to do and then call me later.

Thanks for the good thoughts. I will let you know what happens.

Quick x-ray wouldn't hurt.

Hope it turns out to be nothing much and easily resolved.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

he cried and snapped when the tried to pick him up to put him on the table

I refuse to let them put my guys on the table anymore. They have to examine them on the floor.

Sending prayers!

I usually ask that they worm with panacur for 5 days if there is diarreha off and on assuming you are sure it's not from food (either the kibble or add ins or treats, for instance pig ears are a big no no)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

When is the last time your dog had a VET examine him? Do routine blood, urine, and stool checks?

When is the last time your dog had a VET examine him? Do routine blood, urine, and stool checks?

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SoulsMom

I'd do bloodwork and maybe an ultrasound. My bosses dog just had the same symptoms. Throwing up months before, then the Big D. Then a few weeks later, both. Blood work showed raised liver values, and ultrasound that his gallbladder was "wrong". It was actually infected and ruptured. The suregon said if they'd waited one more day to do the surgery he would not have made it.

Yikes, sounds like Billy isn't feeling well at all.

I hope you are able to get to the bottom of things quickly, and that it's nothing serious. I'll be thinking of you.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest houndlover

I just got the results of Billy's stool sample back and it was negative for parasites and giardia. I have an appt for him for next Friday. He seems to be feeling better, he isn't vomiting anymore and the diarrhea isn't as bad.

The vet said that she will probably do bloodwork and an x-ray along with an exam. If Billy starts vomiting again or the diarrhea gets worse than I will call and have him seen as an emergency.

To my knowledge Billy has not gotten into anything. His last exam with the vet was 4 months ago, he had a urinalysis done 1 month ago and it was very dilute and I remember the vet saying that his ph was off but she wasn't concerned about it at the time. I will have her look at the urinalysis results again when I bring him in next week.

Guest houndlover

I just called the vet and made an appt for Billy to be seen tomorrow morning. He is not vomiting but he does still have diarrhea and he is not interested in eating AT ALL, which is not the norm for him. Generally Billy will eat 5-6C of food per day and be looking for more so I am very concerned that he is showing such little interest in his food. I will update when I have more info after our appt tomorrow. Hopefully it is just a stomach bug but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Guest houndlover
We've been going through the same sort of thing.

I feel for you...

Did you end up getting a dx for whatever was going on or they are still trying to figure it out?

There has been a slight change in plans and Billy is going to the vet tonite instead of tomorrow. They had a cancellation so as long as my boss says that I can leave early (she is not very sympathetic or understanding) we will be going to the vet at 5:45 tonite.