Fight!

Xan

I am so sorry. Sending prayers and calming thoughts and vibrations to all. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Pegasus & Gogh got into a tiff, my vet mixed me up some distilled water with betadine in a "squirt" bottle where I could put the formula down into the drain holes. The peroxide acts as a cordorizer. Pegasus's wound was across the shoulders & Gogh's wound was in the chest.

Edited by Pipi5

Poor Brilly. :( I hope he feels better soon. They did a great job of stitching him up though.

When Teagan had a wound on his lower neck, near the shoulder, regular t-shirts sat too low to cover it. I used an adult turtleneck and that did the trick. I had to roll up the sleeves though, because they were too long for his legs.

I agree with JillysFullHouse, the dogs will probably be worked up over this for a few days. Maybe even longer than that, if Brilly is feeling defensive and in pain. Watch them VERY carefully.

As for prevention, maybe they were in too tight quarters when you came in from outside? I have dogs that redirect too, and it usually happens either at a barrier (closed door, window, fence, gate, etc) or in a cramped space like a doorway or hallway. I would take the dogs out in pairs from now on, to prevent that congestion when leashing up and going out, and coming back in. Best of luck with this.

Oh, we're watching VERY carefully! In fact, the weather's been nice, so Pogo's been outside and Brilly inside mostly. We've had a few stare-and-growl incidents, which we've sternly corrected verbally, and followed up with a muzzle, if it wasn't already on. I hope that's the right approach. I'm going to add a long leash that he'll just drag in the house, so I'll have a handle if necessary.

Brilly is very shy of Pogo right now, unsurprisingly! Since they've been separated a lot, Pogo's pretty in-your-face curious about Brilly, which makes Brilly nervous. I'm restricting his attentions, and doing the serial tricks-for-treats described by Practicepiano elsewhere. It looks like it's going to take awhile. :(

I did just read this article again describing how to break up a dog fight without getting bit, by taking hold of the dogs' back feet, and walking them backwards and in a circle (so he's busy trying not to fall on his face and can't curl around and bite you) away from the fight until you can release him into another enclosure (room or pen or kennel). This will only work in certain situations, unlike the other night, but I'll keep it in mind.

Ouch!

Suggestion: get some Betadine instead of peroxide. I bet a nurse/doctor/vet tech can explain why, but I've been told that peroxide isn't the best thing.

True....peroxide is okay using it once, but if you continue to use it, it kills the good bacteria. Betadine or a good first aid wash is best.There's a better explanation than "kills the good bacteria" but that's how I've always understood it. Good thoughts for Brilly, and Pogo too

Yes, the peroxide was only for the first cleaning. I need to get some betadine or other non-sting-y anseptic cleaner.

The wound has been seeping a fair amount, though it seems to have slowed today. I've cleaned it up a few times, WITH a muzzle on him (duh! This I didn't think to do??? It's a wonder I still have my nose and fingers! :rolleyes: ), and it looks just the same. No extra bruising or swelling.

Sending good thoughts for everyone: Xan, Brilly and Rowdy :grouphug

Thanks!! Rowdy's doing really well, btw. Thanks for thinking of him, too. :)

What is it? Fight vibes in the air?? I didn't realize others were having trouble too 'til someone mentioned it here! :(

Hugs to all of you also dealing with the scary stuff!

:bighug

Edited by Xan

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Oh Xan, I'm so sorry that happened! And things like that always seem to happen when you're low on $. I know. :(

Suggestion: get some Betadine instead of peroxide. I bet a nurse/doctor/vet tech can explain why, but I've been told that peroxide isn't the best thing.

Peroxide is cytotoxic (kills the new cells that are trying to grow). Best bet to cleanse wounds is saline. Betadine is generally only used on intact (closed) skin - if you want to use it, don't put it directly on the suture line. Speaking of sutures, they usually come out in 10 - 14 days.

I've used that fight-breaking-up method you mentioned (pulling away by the back legs) a few years ago. Stephanie was VERY food-protective when she first got here - I fed her in a gated area, but one day Henderson bulldozed throught the gate & went near her. It was almost a catastrophe, but I was able to pull him away using that method (while my nephew grabbed Steph by the collar). It worked, but then again he's so low to the ground and his legs are only a few inches long.

Sending healing thoughts to Brilly, and :grouphug to you!

Edited by tamborine

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Guest VirginiaGreys

Sorry you had to go through all that. It seemed for a while that we were too...but it was because of a foster that didn't mesh right with our pups. He got Snowie ...then Dodge got the foster...maybe because the foster had gotten Snowie? :dunno It was all fine once the foster left...but talk about being on edge. Jeez.

I use water with a little bit of bleach inside..like a 1/25 ratio...and spray it on to keep the wounds clean. I love my EMT gel too....

I know what you mean about times being tight...I'm hoping to buy some new lettering from you...I just am not sure when I will be doing that. It won't be a lot...but it's something?

OW!

FWIW, unless you're doing something like cleaning drain holes or applying gentle heat to help drainage, I try to leave the suture line alone as far as possible. If it gunks up, as long as it's just some dried blood and serum, I leave that be. Around those areas, where things get messy, I tend to clean up with just plain old water and maybe a smidge of mild soap.

Sending scritchies and healing thoughts to your sweet Brilly.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh Xan, I'm so sorry that happened! And things like that always seem to happen when you're low on $. I know. :(

Peroxide is cytotoxic (kills the new cells that are trying to grow). Best bet to cleanse wounds is saline. Betadine is generally only used on intact (closed) skin - if you want to use it, don't put it directly on the suture line. Speaking of sutures, they usually come out in 10 - 14 days.

I've used that fight-breaking-up method you mentioned (pulling away by the back legs) a few years ago. Stephanie was VERY food-protective when she first got here - I fed her in a gated area, but one day Henderson bulldozed throught the gate & went near her. It was almost a catastrophe, but I was able to pull him away using that method (while my nephew grabbed Steph by the collar). It worked, but then again he's so low to the ground and his legs are only a few inches long.

Sending healing thoughts to Brilly, and :grouphug to you!

Cytotoxic! Ah! Okay. I haven't been using HP since the first night, but that's a good reason to know! :) I still don't have any betadine, but also good to know to stay away from broken skin. I was told these sutures are "totally dissolvable", and won't need to be removed, though they might take more than a month to completely disappear. Cool!

Oo! Glad your fracas with Henderson and Steph worked out okay. They're still buddies though, right? (My first reaction was, "It's been 'a few years' since Stephanie joined you?? :P ) Good to know someone with practical experience with the technique. :)

Sorry you had to go through all that. It seemed for a while that we were too...but it was because of a foster that didn't mesh right with our pups. He got Snowie ...then Dodge got the foster...maybe because the foster had gotten Snowie? :dunno It was all fine once the foster left...but talk about being on edge. Jeez.

I use water with a little bit of bleach inside..like a 1/25 ratio...and spray it on to keep the wounds clean. I love my EMT gel too....

I know what you mean about times being tight...I'm hoping to buy some new lettering from you...I just am not sure when I will be doing that. It won't be a lot...but it's something?

Bleach water? hm! I get the concept, but I'm wondering if it's not too harsh, even diluted? Or toxic if licked? :unsure:

I have EMT gel. I used it also the first night, but haven't since. It looks like there's not much to be done with it, it's so snug! No scab necessary!

OW!

FWIW, unless you're doing something like cleaning drain holes or applying gentle heat to help drainage, I try to leave the suture line alone as far as possible. If it gunks up, as long as it's just some dried blood and serum, I leave that be. Around those areas, where things get messy, I tend to clean up with just plain old water and maybe a smidge of mild soap.

Sending scritchies and healing thoughts to your sweet Brilly.

Thanks!

That's what I did do. Just warm water in a squirt bottle, blotting where it dripped off at the bottom. It actually seemed to ease the scabby tightness a bit for him afterward. It was pretty oozy for the first day or two, but it's looking very anticlimactic, now. :P I have a T-neck on him to keep general stuff (bed fuzz, grass, dirt, flies, Pogo) out of it, and it seems to have wicked a tiny amount since yesterday, but nothing much. Unless things get infected (unlikely), I think he's on his own to wrap up the healing! :)

As for Pogo, now, that's another story! :rolleyes: He's SO on NILIF! I don't even pay attention to him unless I call him over and ask him to do something first. He's wearing a long leash in the house, so I can step on it or grab it and reel him in if necessary without going face first into a fray, and a muzzle unless he's eating or getting his teeth brushed, pretty much. We're at square one 'til he earns his way back to square two.

No worries, though. He's quick, and has already figured out how to get the loving he truly deserves. We're doing lots of training and exercise to help de-stress and de-hyperize, too. We've had a few growlies, but that's it so far (*knocking on wood*).

Thanks for all the good info and good wishes, y'all!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

just seeing this now as well, I hope Brilly is doing okay!!!! :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

OMG- sending good wishes your way.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Ah! Thanks guys!

Actually, things are almost back to normal, here. Brilly's wound is looking fabulous. I'm very impressed with the job the vet did. The hair is growing back, and I doubt it will even show. (aaa woooooOOOOOOOooo!! We're having a roo here to "harmonize" with the fire engines! :rolleyes: )

Pogo is settling back down, and we just keep the muzzle handy in case we feel a rise in tensions. He's still on NILIF, but I'm more likely to give him a random scritch than a few weeks ago. Things are going alright, but we learned an important lesson about letting our guard down with him. Hopefully, no more mistakes like that in our future! :nod:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Good to hear thing are almost back to normal! I really have to give you credit for your patience Xan, and knowing how to handle it all, not sure I could do it

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

• 1 month later...
Guest bindi03
Sending good thoughts for a quick recovery! When Jersey had shoulder surgery, we used a turtleneck (adult), with the sleeves cut off:

Picture162.jpg

Hey...I am new to the site and have been trying to reach out to you..... My girl Bindi (Sandhill Tess) is Jersey's sister!! We live in New Jersey as well....Chatham Township.... Would love to meet up with you sometime. Hope to hear from you.....Wendy and Bindi

Guest Lovey_Hounds

wow... i know how i felt

when i came running into my living room to break up a little squabble, and all my boy had was a small puncture wound on his back leg i was really upset for him.

but to have that huge wound! poor little guy! i hope all heals well with him.

Guest GentleHugs

Have you tried sterile saline solution to wash the wound with? I've used it for years - ever since my vet suggested it when Heisman got *nailed* by one of Ashley's toenails. His wound was 8 inches long lengthwise and 4 inches long sideways. It was a T tear in the front shoulder area and strange enough - he never bled but I could pull the skin and see his muscle, bone, etc. Pretty gross at the time. :sick He finally had to have 5 different kinds of stitches put in (one kind being tension stitches) because every time he moved his shoulder, he ripped it back open again. Total cost: $550 He healed just fine. His fur grew back where they shaved him at and you could just barely see his scar afterward. His scar went from being 8 inches long and 4 inches sideways to barely one inch long and 1/4 inch sideways. Of course, this was about 6 years ago.

Every time one of mine gets a nick, scrape, cut or anything - I immediately wash it out with sterile saline solution then apply whatever else I'm going to use (EMT gel, neosporin, etc). Since using the sterile saline solution, I've never had a wound on any of my kids become infected. I've even had one kid partially deglove a toe on something outside. I immediately washed the entire area with sterile saline solution flooding it for about 2 minutes then I glued the skin back over with EMT gel. After it healed, I couldn't tell which toe it was that she degloved.

My vet is the kind of guy who does not like to nickel and dime you to death. He will give you tips on how to care for certain wounds at home if they are minor and will tell you what to watch for, too, in case they will need medical attention from him. He's been my vet since 2000 and has cared for every one of my kids. When we decided it was time to let Heisman go, he came to the house. After Heisman was peaceful and no longer in pain, Dr. Cupp cried along with the family. Heisman was his all time favorite patient. :weep