Shadow Is Starting On Clomicalm

Meandmy

Shadow had surgery on his knee way back in February, to remove a hemangiopericytoma. Since then the wound has healed 3 or 4 times, but any time Shadow gets a chance to, he licks it back open and we have to start back at square one. Poor guy has been in sweatpants/bite-not collar/muzzle for 6 months!

I took him to the vet a couple of weeks ago and he took a good look at the wound to make sure there is nothing that is irritating Shadow and determined that it's a case of OCD. He suggested putting Shadow on Clomicalm for a bit to get him past his need to lick and let his leg heal once and for all.

He's starting on a low dose, then will be bumped up after 2 weeks. I'm starting him this weekend so that we can watch him for any potential side effects.

I'd love to hear what your experiences were/are, and what I should look out for.

Thanks so much!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest houndlover

Oh no. Poor Shadow. I can't believe that it is taking that long to heal.

Casey was on clomipramine (which is the generic) for several years after I first got him. He was on it b/c he was very nervous, shy and anxious. It worked wonders for him and I was gradually able to wean him off of it. He never had any side effects from it. I hope that it helps Shadow and that he is feeling better soon.

Guest HeatherDemps

Years and years ago, Dempsey was on Clomicalm for separation anxiety. It did not change his personality or anything like that and he never seemed drugged. He just eventually became more content to be a good couch potato. :)

Guest Tenderhearts

I used clomicalm here for fireworks season and thunderstorms. It had zero effect on Toby! :eek :eek

Lori Ann was more laid back, not sedated but kind of like 'Oh well, go with the flow'. :)

Clomicalm is similar to Zoloftt in people. I have had both DH and foster on the meds. They take a several days to take effect. The pills you give today will bot kick in until Saturday or so. The same goes in reverse. Check with your vet and come up with a schedule to reduce the dose. HD lost all emotion on Zoloftt. The foster was just a regular houndie. Good Luck. Val

Mom to Nodens( Carl Lackey)and Pywackett (kittie)

Gracie was on Clomicalm for 3 months for separation anxiety. The dose was gradually increased and just as gradually decreased.

She had no side effects of any kind. It finally helped her relax enough to understand SA alone training.

I hope it helps Shadow relax too and leave that leg alone.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Dandi has been on this for about 6 months, for fear aggression and anxiety disorder. He had been on Prozac but developed diarrhea so he was switched over to clomipramine. No side effects, not a huge amount of improvement, unfortunately.

It actually takes a good 4-6 weeks to expect any clinical improvement. While there might be some initial sedation, any of the tricyclic antidepressants or SSRIs (like Prozac) will require about a month's lead time before they become effective.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Rita was on clomipramine for over a year. We saw no change in her, unfortunately.

We decided to try fluoxetene (generic Prozac) 20 mg once a day. That's actually working; it makes her far less nervous. One never knows what will work or not. I don't think she'll ever be completely calm though.

The good news is that she didn't have any side effects from either.

Marcia in SC

Maddie uses clomicalm for for SA. She was on it for 2 months after first got her (I had tried everything else- and this was a last resort) She came more calm and relaxed and went with the flow. No real side effects for us. I still use it when we travel to help calm her. She is not a fan of hotels (she does not like the closed in feeling- she tried to eat the door last year at BBH when I was at dinner- this year we will colmicalm and muzzle when she is left in the room by herself.

Good Luck

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Carl was on it for 4 - 5 months for SA, he had no side effects that I could detect nor any digestive problems. As I recall it took about 10 days for it to get up to therapeutic level.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Thanks everyone for your responses. I feel so much better! I, myself, always get every possible side effect when on medications, so I'm totally paranoid about what meds *might* do :rolleyes: Maybe I should be on Clomicalm :lol:

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)