Giardia

Eden has had watery, black bloody diarrhea for two and a half days. I searched in the H&M and it looked like it was giarditis because she did drink some stagnant water. So I told myself that if I went home at lunch today and there was another accident we'd be headed to the vet. And I smelled it as SOON as I walked in the house :angry: So off to the vet we go. I went there thinking they'd check her out and send us home with some meds... they are keeping her overnight on IV fluids. The vet wanted to do a blood panel and watch her overnight because she didn't like how her gums looked or how fast her skin went back after she grabbed it up. So... DH left last week and now I am down a dog for the night. She'll be fine but it just wasn't what I was expecting :blink: I am thankful that she'll get better AND that I'll finally get a full night's sleep (we must have went out 4 times last night and the night before). At least I'll have her back for the holiday. PLUS I get to leave early tomorrow to go get her by 4:30 so that's a plus, too :P

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.

Glad you got her to the vet. Giardia responds pretty quickly to medication. My rule of thumb has always been 2 days for plain old diarrhea and if there's any blood I don't wait. It just seems to be too easy to pick up giardia and some of these bugs.

Hope Eden gets back to normal very quickly!

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Sending good wishes for your baby, that she will be better soon.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

My new kitten was just diagnosed with giardia, so I get to treat ALL the animals...

They gave me 5 days of Flagyl for George (the dog) and Panacur for the cats.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest LindsaySF

She is probably dehydrated from the diarrhea.

Eden has had watery, black bloody diarrhea for two and a half days.

Was the stool indeed black, and not red? Black stool indicates bleeding in the upper digestive tract (stomach or small intestine). Blood from the large intestine would be "fresh" and red in color, usually red blood is what you see with giardia (if you see any blood at all).

There could be something else going on, which is why the vet wanted to run more tests. The black stool and pale gums indicates that she is losing blood somewhere, and that is concerning. I hope it is nothing serious! :hope

~Lindsay~

Guest Vinnie

Giardia seems to come on so easy now - stagnant water from a pond in your garden, bird bath, or normal way, eating poop - thankfully treated very easily. Gus had it when we brought him home and they did flagyl and something else at the same time - took care of it, no problem and no-one else caught it thankfully. Glad that Eden is being looked after at the vets though as it can be rougher on some than others and sounds like you could both use a rest. Hope all the other tests come back okay and you enjoy the rest of your holiday with your little girl back home.

And Susan, sorry to hear about your household too. But that means George should get extra mooshies! And you should get a treat too with having to treat your whole gang.

Edited by Vinnie