Benadryl - How Much?

Guest EnzaFerrari

Guest EnzaFerrari

In the past few days, Enza has been itching at her ears, nose, and hindquarters like crazy. I've spent two days looking for any evidence of fleas, but none in sight nor any flea "residue". Her skin and itching issues had more or less cleared up in the past few weeks, but I realized last night that she had spent all day Saturday rolling around in my parents yard and she's been running through taller grass on our walks.

So now I think maybe it is allergies as she is also licking at her paws when we come in (I've started wiping them off when we come in).

If I were to give her Benadryl, how much is a dose for a dog?

I give 1 pill every 6-8 hours if needed. That's what our vet told us to do.

Same here, we do every 6 hours. But it depends on your dog's weight as to how many a day

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

1 for Poodle @ 25#. Our Bouvier houseguest (about 100#) gets two am and afternoon and then 3 at bedtime when she is itchy per her vet. I'd probably give a grey two...or 3 if Buck size (86#)

P.S. When Buck went in to have his mast cell tumor removed the vet had me give him 3 that morning. I think it's around 1 25 mg pill per 25 pounds from what I've heard. Evidently dogs take a lot more than we do.

Found this on a vet's website... :)

Diphenhydramine (Benadryl®) – Dogs and cats can be given 1-2 mg/lb every eight hours. This can be used to treat allergic reactions, and it also has some anti-anxiety and anti-vertigo effects. As a general rule, it is pretty safe stuff. The primary side effect is drowsiness, so please do not allow your pet to drink alcohol or operate heavy machinery while taking it.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest EnzaFerrari

Thanks, everyone. I will pick some up on the way home. I did wonder if it was an ear infection (esp as I have one right now), but she still allows me to clean out her ears without whining. Not that she loves it by any stretch, but when I pulled out the ear cleaning fluid, cotton balls, and cheese for rewards, she let me clean them out with no flinching.

Make sure you get PLAIN Benadryl, not "Benadryl Allergy Sinus."

Itchy feet can be indicative of FOOD allergies. Inhalant allergies typically cause itchy ears and armpits! I lived with a dog with seasonal allergies for many years and it's not fun.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck