Toxic Toads

Having grown up in Florida, we are well aware of the associated problems of dog vs toad. Its a good thing to know, especially down here where Bufos are everywhere.

From the Merck Veterinary Manual.

Dogs and, less frequently, cats may be poisoned by oral exposure to many types of toads. Severity varies greatly, depending on extent of contact and type of toad. Venom is produced by all toads, but its potency varies with species and apparently between geographic locations within individual species. Toad venom, a defensive mechanism, is secreted by glands located dorsal and posterior to the eyes and by other dermal structures, including warts. The venom, a thick, creamy white, highly irritating substance, can be expelled quickly by the contraction of periglandular muscles in the skin. Its many components include bufagins, which have digitalis-like effects, catecholamines, and serotonin. The most toxic species in the USA appears to be the giant or marine toad, Bufo marinus , an introduced species that is established in Florida, Hawaii, and Texas. Mortality is 20-100% in untreated cases, depending on venom potency.

Diagnosis:

Encounters with toads are most common in warm or mild weather. Signs of poisoning are variable and range from local effects to convulsions and death. Severity depends on host factors, extent of exposure, length of time since exposure, and species of toad. Local effects (profuse, sometimes frothy salivation, accompanied by vigorous head shaking, pawing at the mouth, and retching) are immediate, probably because the venom is extremely irritating. Vomiting is not unusual, especially in severe cases, and although it may persist for several hours, no further signs may develop in poisoning by common indigenous toads. With more severe intoxication, as from B marinus , cardiac arrhythmias, dyspnea, cyanosis, and seizures are characteristic. Both cardiac and CNS involvement are life-threatening.

Treatment:

A specific antidote for the toxins in toad venom is not available. Therapy is directed at minimizing absorption of the venom and controlling the associated clinical signs. Minimal treatment may be required after exposure to venom in areas where less toxic toads are found. The mouth should be immediately and thoroughly flushed with copious amounts of water. The victim should be prevented from inhaling aerosols of saliva or water that contain toad venom. Atropine may reduce the volume of saliva and the risk of aspiration. More severely affected animals require more extensive therapy. Cardiac arrhythmias should be identified and controlled using standard treatment protocols (see also arrhythmias, Physical Examination). If bradyarrhythmias exist, atropine or dopamine should be considered; tachyarrhythmias should be treated with lidocaine, phenytoin, propranolol, or procainamide hydrochloride. CNS excitation, if present, should be controlled by pentobarbital anesthesia, diazepam, or a combination of the two. Thiamylal, halothane, and other forms of anesthesia may be contraindicated because they may predispose to ventricular fibrillation. Supplemental oxygen and mechanical ventilation may also be needed if cyanosis and dyspnea are prominent.

These toads are found in Florida, Texas and the coastal areas.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Guest BlackandBrindle

We seem to have gotten over our Colorado River Toad portion of summer, but there have been a couple of dogs in town that I know of who have had serious problems because of them this year.

No toads around my dogs or yard if I can help it. It was great when we had the dumpster in our yard for hurricane reno. I just tossed them in the dumpster. :hehe :hehe I think when they hauled it away, it was half full of toads. :rofl :rofl :rofl I have some info on bufos at work. I'll post later today, but it's basically the same info as posted above.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I had a cat that bit a toad. I didn't really see what kind, but it was too small to be a Colorado River toad (which I believe is a type of bufo?) Anyway, she had a pretty severe reaction, at 6 a.m. on a Sunday morning, of course :rolleyes: It was over quickly, by the time we got to the evet she was recovering. They said just to watch her and bring her in if the reactions started again, but thought she had gotten a small dose of the poison and would be okay. She was, but for a short bit of time, it was very very scary! Be careful if you have toads and cats/dogs in the same yard.

Guest paulamariez

When we lived in the Kettle Moraine Forest here in Wisconsin, we had to rush our Siberian Husky to our vet because she began massively salivating and frothing at the mouth, as well as shaking her head, pawing at her mouth and refusing to lie down and pacing. We had just come inside from our back yard. The vet said she must have licked a toad! Imagine our surprise when he diagnosed that! We actually had tons of toads around our property. We saw them come out at night and sit around our driveway. Anyhooo, the vet ended up giving Nikki a big shot of Benedryl and had us continue giving her Benedryl for the next 24 hours. Actually, her symptoms began to fade rather quickly after getting that first dose. Thankfully she was fine after that. But the vet said if it ever happened again, to give the hounds an immediate dose of Benedryl.

Wow, I never knew this. My beloved lab found a toad one evening, put her mouth on it (no bite) and as she turned away from it to look at me she had a foam face. She looked like she'd gotten into the shaving cream. She was fine and lived to tell the tale, I now realize how lucky she was.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest crazy4greys

My guys are always muzzled with poop cups attached. Tucker like to play with the toad by pushing on it with his muzzle. That is why I stay there to make sure he doesn't do anything else to the poor toad.

Guest LindsaySF
Wow, I never knew this. My beloved lab found a toad one evening, put her mouth on it (no bite) and as she turned away from it to look at me she had a foam face. She looked like she'd gotten into the shaving cream. She was fine and lived to tell the tale, I now realize how lucky she was.

Most toads secrete a venom that will make a dog salivate excessively if they lick the toad or pick it up in their mouth. Sometimes they vomit too, but not much else.

Only Cane Toads have venom so toxic that it is life-threatening to dogs.