Nose Bleeds

Guest momto3greys

Guest momto3greys

Griffin:

He has been suffering from terrible nose bleeds since we got him as a return. He is 9 years old now and everytime he gets one it seems that he loses more spunk and his eyesight for awhile afterwards. We have taken him to our vet and they feel that it is most likely cancer of the sinuses.

Unfortunately the only way to biopsy this is to cut through the nose bone and we all feel that he won't survive the recovery.

The vet is going to treat it as if it is cancer. I have emailed OSU, but I can't find an email address for Dr. Couto directly. Hopefully they will have some answers for us.

He is my velcro dog.

Guest trevdog

Have they done xrays at least and seen something? My Trevor used to have nosebleeds, but never vision problems. His was due to a damaged nasal cavity though, but I had xrays taken to rule out cancer.

Sending lots of prayers....

Guest momto3greys
Have they done xrays at least and seen something? My Trevor used to have nosebleeds, but never vision problems. His was due to a damaged nasal cavity though, but I had xrays taken to rule out cancer.

Sending lots of prayers....

They did x-rays and the spot that they think is the problem showed a grey spot. That is why they are thinking that it is cancer.

Sending my prayers. Maybe Dr. C could look at the x-rays? :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest Carla

I just lost my Krier on May 16, (4 days shy of his 13th birthday) to nosebleeds. He started having them on January 27. We went to the vets numerous times, went through prescriptions of ace, amoxi, norasc, but nothing really did the trick. I opted not to to xrays or an mri, as Krier was almost 13 years old and if it was cancer, I knew I wasn't going to treat it. Poor Krier hated to go to the vet and I just couldn't justify putting him through extensive treatment to prolong his life for a few months at best. I can only assume it was some sort of cancer.

Hopefully you will have a lot better luck with Griffin.

Please give him a gentle hug from me.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

IIRC Wendie's dog Joe had some nosebleeds that were very worrisome but turned out to be an infection. Let me PM her and see if she can comment here.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest momto3greys
IIRC Wendie's dog Joe had some nosebleeds that were very worrisome but turned out to be an infection. Let me PM her and see if she can comment here.

That would be terrific. I look forward to hearing from her. Any advice is welcome.

I just lost my Krier on May 16, (4 days shy of his 13th birthday) to nosebleeds. He started having them on January 27. We went to the vets numerous times, went through prescriptions of ace, amoxi, norasc, but nothing really did the trick. I opted not to to xrays or an mri, as Krier was almost 13 years old and if it was cancer, I knew I wasn't going to treat it. Poor Krier hated to go to the vet and I just couldn't justify putting him through extensive treatment to prolong his life for a few months at best. I can only assume it was some sort of cancer.

Hopefully you will have a lot better luck with Griffin.

Please give him a gentle hug from me.

:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I am sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. That is how we feel. Our vet wanted to do an MRI and an endoscopy but we have the same feeling. We aren't going to do anything either as even though he is only 9 he seems to be older than he truly is.

I just want to make the time that we do have with him easier.

Guest Carla

I am sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. That is how we feel. Our vet wanted to do an MRI and an endoscopy but we have the same feeling. We aren't going to do anything either as even though he is only 9 he seems to be older than he truly is.

I just want to make the time that we do have with him easier.

Thank you.

I know exactly what you are saying and it is just so hard.

Again, please give Griffin a hug from me.

:grouphug:grouphug

First thing, HUGE hugs. I totally know the horror of seeing your stressed dog bleeding from his nose and feeling totally helpless. :grouphug :grouphug

Joe had his first nosebleed on March 14, 2007. Our vet gave us the same outlook - it's nose cancer, nothing we can do. He was not even 5 at that point, so we did go ahead and have him go through a nose scoping, where they saw nothing out of the ordinary. A round of antibiotics later, he seemed to be fine. He started bleeding again in July.

Antibiotics (often cephalexin) seemed to hold the bleeding at bay for a few months, then by the time October rolled around, the drugs weren't helping anymore. Everything I'd heard or read online said bleeding from the nose meant either cancer or tick borne diseases. He'd been tested for the basics back in March, but we did a full round of tick testing for just about every tick disease under the sun and it came up normal.

He went in for xrays and they did see some strangeness on his x-rays, but concluded it was related to his teeth. He had both of his canine teeth removed because it was felt that the huge root systems that were in poor condition could very well be part of the problem. The teeth practically fell out of his head while he was under - what was usually a long and delicate process per tooth took less than one minute for both of his canines to be removed!

We thought it was smooth sailing but less than two months later, his nose started bleeding again. We tried stronger antibiotics and same story once again - within a week or two of going off them, his nose would start bleeding again.

Since March, Joe has been on a low low does of prednisone (2.5 mg a day) and that seems to keep the bleeding at bay. Unlike your dog, the only symptoms he shows along with his bleeding is lots of reverse sneezing a few days before the bleeding is going to start again, and acting like his nose is very itchy. Behavior and appetite wise, you could never tell he had some sort of strange nose problem.

Did you guys check for any tick diseases? How long have the nosebleeds been going on? Any chance they can do some sort of needle biopsy? And have they given any consideration to the shape that his upper canine teeth are in?

I wish I had answers for you. :grouphug

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

Poor baby, he is having a tough time. :grouphug

I would certainly want to rule out tick diseases. I have gotten very good service from North Carolina State University Tick Borne Diagnostic Labatory. Here is the link......

NCSU link

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest greytlady

My sweet girl Tweek, had horrible nose bleeds. Xrays didn't show much, the vet thought it was an abcessed tooth so she had a dental she didn't really need. The nose bleeds didn't stop, so we went to Va Tech for an endoscopic exam and they found the tumor. She was on medicam afterwards and did real well for another couple months. The tumor by then had grown so big it had used up its blood supply and was infected. When Tweek quit eating Bojangles chicken, her absolute favorite, she became a bridge angel.

A longshot, but has he been checked for ehrlichia? Any blood tests to show there's anemia and low platelet counts? Any purple or red spots- little hemorrhages- on the skin?

I wish someone would offer studies on anti-angiogenesis drugs in the canine. For a lot of untreatable tumors, it would sure make managing the disease easier.

ETA: If you have a veterinary oncologist locally, you might inquire as to the potential for joining in any trials such as those for anti-angiogenesis drugs.

Edited by ahicks51

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest SoulsMom

One of my friends greyhounds gets nose bleeds from a bone chip floating around in her nose. Obviously it is presumed this is an old racing injury.

Hoping it's something treatable :grouphug

Did you have an MRI/catscan done yet? You can also have him scoped--they would be able to get a biopsy that way----are you near a specialty/referral hospital or a University? Also, did your vet ever get a culture and sensitivity from the nasal cavity?

Guest darcysmama

Hi - I haven't posted here in a long time but saw your post and hope my experience can help. My boy had nosebleeds and later swelling in the muzzle area, which showed in an xray as a grey mass. A later biopsy seemed to show nasal cancer. However, after a year he was still with us, and blood tests for tick diseases also were inconclusive. We decided to try Sporanox, on a longshot this was a fungal infection, which apparently can often mimic nasal bone/sinus cancer. Amazingly, this turned out to be the case, and after 3 months he was fine. Sporanox is hard on some dog's systems, but I gave milk thistle for the liver concurrently and it worked out ok. I don't know if this might be something to consider in your situation, but my prayers are with you as you go through this.

Guest paulamariez

Your poor sweet boy. I will keep your precious Griffin in my prayers for a complete and quick recovery! I hope they find out that it's something simple and treatable. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Griffin some healing doggie kisses too!