Waiting For Cytology/biopsy Results

Blitz's eyelid blew up in size about two and a half weeks ago. I had Dr. Patty come take a look at it, and she said she could try to remove the bump/abscess, but his eyelid would be shortened. So I asked if she would refer us to Dr. Anne Weigt, who is a veterinary ophthalmologist. (Wow! Took me six tries to spell that correctly!) We got him in a few days later, and she felt that it was an internal stye and put him on Simplicef and had us continue the neo/poly/dex eye ointment Dr. Patty started him on. Dr. Weigt did mention the "slim" possibility that it could be a mast cell tumor - and Brian did tell her it was probably that since Blitz is our dog (we have a track record of weird diagnoses with our crew).

Anyway, the follow up appointment was this past Friday, and if anything, his eyelid looked worse. Dr. Weigt was absolutely shocked. So she performed a fine needle aspirate, taking samples from three different locations. Those results were/are supposed to be back yesterday or today. In the mean time, since there was definitely pus, she switched him to erythromycin eye ointment, prednisolone acetate eyedrops, ciprofloxicin tablets, and just in case it is a mast cell tumor (which she is starting to lean towards based on how his eye looked), had us start him on Benedryl. She also prescribed metronidazole to counteract the cipro's side effects.

It's still not looking any better, and he made a bloody mess of his eyelid when the numbing drops wore off Friday night. I did have an e-collar, but he just statues in a far-off corner of the house when I put it on him. He's convinced that he can't lay down with it on. He tried a few times, but popped right back up again, and I'm loathe to stress him since that causes his IBD to flare up. I gave him Deramaxx Friday night, and he's done a good job of leaving his eyelid alone ever since.

Here's my sad-looking boy.

blitz_eye.jpg

I'm sure there's a surgical excision in his future - we're just waiting to see what it is and figure out a plan of action from there.

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RooRoo

oh my gosh !!! poor baby :( I hope it resolves soon and that you have nothing to worry about. He looks so sad and I'm sure all the poking and prodding didn't help. Sending well wishes to Blitz and calming waves to you Mom! It's so hard not to worry so much.

Guest nanzi

0h poor baby. Hoping for the best for him. He is such a pretty boy. Will keep thinking good thoughts for you all.

Nan

Oh poor Sweetheart. Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Aw, poor fella! Hope it's nothing too serious and can be easily taken care of.

(And yeah, I constantly misspell Dr. Weigt's name, too! She's great :) ).

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Oh, it wasn't Dr. Weigt's name I was spelling incorrectly - it was ophthalmologist! Though I would've mispronounced her name if Patty hadn't said it. :lol :lol

But yeah, I like her a lot.

Edited by dmswartzfager

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Oh, it wasn't Dr. Weigt's name I was spelling incorrectly - it was ophthalmologist! Though I would've mispronounced her name if Patty hadn't said it. :lol:lol

But yeah, I like her a lot.

:lol Yeah, that's a tough one. I normally mistype it like 6 times before I get it right.

Scritches to Blitz and the rest of the gang :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Poor baby, sending prayers and gentle ear scritches. :hope:grouphug

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Poor bug. Sending some scritchies and hoping the path report is a good one.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LolasMom

Poor little guy. That looks uncomfortable. Sending more prayers for a good path report and an easy fix.

sending healing thoughts

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross