Dermaxx Pain Killer?

Guest Gideon

Guest Gideon

Just seeking some advice. I was given Dermaxx pain killers for Duke. I'm supposed to give him 1/2 tablet once a day.

Anybody know if this stuff is ok? I am pretty sure but just need to know. I know this stuff is processsed through the liver so I just want to be carefull.

Guest Greytminds

Gideon Research it on line. Thats how I found out all my info about all the crap Lucky was on. If you do search it type in Dermaxx side effects on Canine.

Paul

Guest Greytminds

This was off the Deramaxx official website. I suggest reading what they post. Not to be an alarmest but some of the side effects are: Vomitting

Diarrhea

Change in Drinkink and Urination

Decrease in appetite

Change in behavior, such as depression or restlessness.

If any of these side effects develop contact the vet or 1-800-332-2761

Serious side effects can, in rare situations , result in death.

Good luck and hope he feels better soon.

Yup, deramaxx is frequently used. You always want to look for side effects, but it's generally quite safe.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest KennelMom

Just watch for side effects (best to always discuss those with your vet before you leave the office if they don't give you an insert about the drug...ours usually only gives the insert for Rimadyl). Deramaxx is pretty safe. Before heading home, I always ask the vet what side effects to expect/watch for and what side effects would necessitate an immediate cessation of the med and/or call to the vet. Actually, I don't have to ask anymore...he just launches into it now :blush

it's the only one we choose to use.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Deramaxx and Rimadyl are almost exactly alike. Some dogs do tolerate one better than the other. FWIW, dogs that have stayed here (my own and houseguests) have never had a noticeable side effect from either one. You do want to watch for side effects, especially gastrointestinal things; if pup experiences any, discontinue use and call your vet.

I always give with food -- right after a meal or with a significant snack.

If pup is on it long term, you'll want to get bloodwork periodically to make sure it isn't having invisible deleterious effects.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Gideon

Thanks. THe vet told me about vomiting and diareah but I just I'd check with all of you. I'll start him on it today and monitor.

When Rex was so sick Deramaxx was the only thing that helped hi,. Rimadyl and Tramadol didn't do a thing. Rex had bouts of colitis and a very iffy tummy so I was sort of fearful at first, but we never had any side effects at all. I'm not sure how much Duke weighs, but 1/2 a 100 mg sounds like a pretty low dose. Rex was pushing 90# and started out at 100 and went to 150 toward the end. Only thing to suffer ill effects was my pocketbook.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Patrick's taken it and always been fine with it, for what that's worth. The only reason he doesn't take it currently is the dose he would need was just more than we could afford :(

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest simile

Tip was on Dermaxx for two weeks for his dislocated toe, and showed no ill effects other than it starting to wear off towards bedtime (about 16hrs after ingestion). I've got him on metacam now, and that seems to work better, even helping with the pain of splint sores.

Deramaxx hugely helped Icarus' knee pain. He experienced no side effects from it and he was very sensitive to drugs.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.