Burnt Lawn

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

I was just looking around at the posts, and read where someone had a guy that was dripping a bit, and someone said if you see burt spots in your yard, get the dog checked. My guy burns the grass with his urine all the time. I have noticed a little dribble, but I associate that with him being VERY excited when I get home from work (he will run zomies, and jump around, and talk to me). Is it NOT normal for the male urine to burn grass? I hope my guy doesnt have a problem, he acts normal.

Guest sheila

It's my understanding that most greys urine will burn the lawn. Something about how their livers/kidneys work. Every grey I have ever had (male and female) has had the 'pee of death' for my grass.

I now have a portion of my yard fenced off as the dogs run/potty area for normal usage. I still let dogs out in the grassy area now and then for a little play time.

I have both males and females and they all burn the grass if I don't keep the grass wet enough. I don't see it as much with the males because they prefer to pee on the trees and miss the grass.But it's not just Greys. Years ago I had Collies and Border Collies and they burnt the grass as well.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest sheila
Dog urine kills grass.

This is not a greyhound related issue!

I have to disagree with this. I have had more than one breed of dog. GH pee is definetly more lethal to grass than pee of any other breed.

Guest lotsagreys4me
Dog urine kills grass.

This is not a greyhound related issue!

I agree. I have had many many different breeds of dogs and they all ruined the grass with their pee.

Daisy ate a food that didn't agree w her system. It made the pH of her urine be waaaay off and the urine burnt the grass. We changed food and that solved the problem.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest Snowy8

I've had different breeds of dogs also, and I have to agree with Sheila...my back yard looks like I've used Round Up on everything.

Guest charmsmom

All I know is that I've had the dogs for a year, and the only time my grass was burned is when Charm had a sheath infection. We feed ProPlan and fed Iams before that. We've given him antibiotics for his infection, and we have no new burn spots.

I wasn't saying that was the cause...I'm just saying that was our experience. :)

My back lawns "burnt" beyond belief from urine, no UTIs though! My past dog did the same thing.

Urine on grass = burnt. It's just a fact of life! It has nothing to do with UTIs or hounds. Just dogs in general.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Carla

I agree with the pH related -- out of the 6 greyhounds I've had, Mickey, my newest pup has burned my grass more than any of the others! Of course, this spring I decided to reseed the bare spots, and they are now all burned. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 2 years later...
Guest greytsdad

I was just looking around at the posts, and read where someone had a guy that was dripping a bit, and someone said if you see burt spots in your yard, get the dog checked. My guy burns the grass with his urine all the time. I have noticed a little dribble, but I associate that with him being VERY excited when I get home from work (he will run zomies, and jump around, and talk to me). Is it NOT normal for the male urine to burn grass? I hope my guy doesnt have a problem, he acts normal.

Yellow spots on the lawn are normally caused by urine, Nitrogen waste products are the result of protein breakdown through normal bodily processes., therefore the nitrogen in the urine causes the lawn spots. We all know that Nitrogen is a great fertliser but not in these doses that is why the outside of the brown spot is quite lush.

A dose of one teaspoon to one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (depending on the size of the dog) per day will nullify the Nitrogen imbalance and should solve the problem. The apple cider vinegar can be added to the dog's water or put directly on his food. The natural type from a health food store, not the pasteurised version from the supermarket. I find the apple cider vinegar from horse tack shops are the best. Two tablespoons of tomato juice on the dog's food twice a day will have the same effect.

There is an old saying "the boys kill the bushes and the girls kill the grass". :P

I've had mostly boys and have had lots of bottoms of bushes yellowed, but even though Buck and Rex would both pee like racehorses leaning forward and standing in the lawn, I've never had obvious burn spots in the grass. Of course my carefully cultivated secret mix of Bermuda, St. Augastine and weeds might just be impervious to anything. :lol

If it can live in this neighborhood, it can take some dog pee.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg