What Do You Do For Scared Greyhound?

Guest 5hounds

Guest threedognight

I have a foster that is scared of loud noises like rain, thunder and fireworks. He starts shaking and runs and hides. He will not come out until hours after the loud noises have stopped. I have never had a dog with this kind of problem before. What would you suggest? I have been doing some research on some products but I am not sure if they really work. Thank you for your help.

Time. You behaving like nothing much is happening. Another dog who doesn't mind these things. A little obedience training can also help a fearful dog focus on something else.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Time, definitely. Comfort Zone seems to work for some dogs, to relieve their anxiety. Giving him time and carrying out desensitization training are probably the most effective things you can do. Have you considered buying some of those "sounds of nature" CDs with the sound of rain and thunder? My vet recommends those to her clients as an additional way to desensitize the dog to loud noises.

Most importantly, try to ignore him when he freaks out. Act like it's NO big deal, like you're not bothered or worried at all. If he stops freaking out for a minute, engage him in play and training with treats while a thunderstorm is going on. The idea is that he will learn to associate loud noises with fun rather than fear.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest TBSFlame

My first grey would hide in the shower when a storm came up. I did discover the more I tried to confort him the more upset he became. I would put a bed in the shower and just let him be until he felt better. I didn't know about some of these other things at the time like the DAP.

Guest Harry702

Harry is thunderphobic... he typically makes it through the first (far off) boom, but by the second, he's up and running to his crate. We've tried maletonin and DAP with no noticeable effect thus far. I have a thunder sounds bit on my iTunes, and we're planning to start desensitization training soon. I agree with those who say don't fuss over him. We let him do what he needs to do to feel safe/secure.

Since he's a foster, I think the best you could do for his future forever family is to try to pinpoint his trigger (if he's afraid of many loud noises, you may already have it figured out) and start working on it. That way, you'll at least be able to provide that information to his new adopter.

I have had outstanding success with the original BACH Flower Essences. There are books which tell you which ones specifically to use. Right now I'd be giving him some Rescue Remedy until I figured out a more specific protocol. Having an outgoing greyhound also helped a lot. Apparently the self confidence of the stronger dog muat rub off on some of the scared ones. Time also helps. I'm sure he'll improve over time. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

Guest Harry702
I have had outstanding success with the original BACH Flower Essences. There are books which tell you which ones specifically to use. Right now I'd be giving him some Rescue Remedy until I figured out a more specific protocol. Having an outgoing greyhound also helped a lot. Apparently the self confidence of the stronger dog muat rub off on some of the scared ones. Time also helps. I'm sure he'll improve over time. Hope this helps. :rolleyes:

I've wondered as much... we may be chipping in the future, and we'll definitely focus on a more confident, outgoing dog than our sensitive Harry.

Guest KsFrets

I agree with time too. Magnus is quite thunderfobic and runs to the basement. We just let him be and keep doing what we're doing. He is getting suprisingly better, just by seeing us keep on keepin on, and Maggie not hiding with him but being just fine with us. We don't swet it, and don't coddle him at all. We do however, keep track of the weather, and make sure he's gone outside before a storm comes :)

Time helps.

Our first foster (right off the track) was (apparently) terrified by any loud noises he heard outside, particularly at night, as he would stand up in his crate and start barking. (At first we thought he was having Bad Dreams.) Once we learned to listen for the sounds he was hearing (train cars being coupled/uncoupled in a trainyard several miles away), we would would know what he was barking at and we would just yell-- it's ok, everything's fine... go back to sleep. Sometimes when the noises weren't in the dead of night, we would intentionally make sure he was chilling on the couch (with me, of course!).. and when the noises happened, he got extra petting and reassurance.

He was also not a big fan of thunder... would also get very scared... again, either we made sure he was chilling on the couch with one of us or in the bedroom in his crate (his safe place) with the door open. One time I had Janet and Faster in the bedroom with him in their (open-door) crates, just to keep him company (they aren't bothered by such things).

In the case of fireworks, when they started in on New Year's Eve and he got all trembly, we allowed him up on the bed with us to watch a movie. This was the only time in six and a half months that he was ever allowed on a bed. He laid between us and stayed until the fireworks were over and then hopped down. But never again got up on the bed (he seemed to know that it was for a very special reason).

By the time he left for his Forever Home, the noises could happen and sometimes he barely even lifted his head. So I think he had gradually gotten used to things.

We warned his new mom about this fear of loud noises, thunder, and fireworks, but so far she hasn't had any problems with it.

Good luck with your fearful foster-

Carol

Greyhound Fleece Jackets

Greyhound Pack: EdWin, Jethro. and Lucky; Foster Jinks; Angels Janet, Faster, Blake, Navarre, Murray, and Festus.

Guest threedognight

Thank you for all the good advice. We have been leaving him alone in his safe place and acting like nothing is happening. We do not try to comfort him. We have tried some training but you can not get his attention when he is scared. I am not sure time will help. He is eleven years old and lived with another grey for years. He now lives with 4 dogs and they are not scared of anything. Maybe I will try Rescue Remedy and keep working on the training. Where is the best place to order Rescue Remedy?

Thank you again.

click on linky

Rescue Remedy didn't help my puppers but two things do help. A t-shirt and the CD in the above link.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest Scouts_mom

I was talking to a fellow grey owner tonight. He mentioned that when his dog was scared of fireworks or thunder, just putting on his muzzle calmed him down. I don't know why this would work--maybe it distracts the dog from his fear?--but it would be an easy thing to try on your dog.

Guest foxmorr

What dosage do you use with Rescue Remedy? Onyx has gotten worse and we don't baby her at all. She has found a haven in the basement so we just let her go down there where she hides under a coffee table. We would like to try the Rescue Remedy but we don't know the dosage. We tried the dryer sheet - it made her smell good but it didn't help with the anxiety. She weighs 56 pounds. Thanks for the help.

Nevada was about that weight. I often used about 4-8 drops depending on her fear factor. I actually got better results from the DAP diffuser (PetsMart). I highly recommend it.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest Major_Houlihan

Hi,

Hazel doesn't really freak when it thunders, but she starts nervously roaming. So I came up with the idea of taking a bandana and rub her down with it, then wrap it around her neck, and she settles down. I don't know it seems like she treats it like a security blanket.

Hi,

Hazel doesn't really freak when it thunders, but she starts nervously roaming. So I came up with the idea of taking a bandana and rub her down with it, then wrap it around her neck, and she settles down. I don't know it seems like she treats it like a security blanket.

I think that is the same as the t-shirts, they have a security blanket effect.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest emdash

I acknowledge that something is happening by saying brightly, "Big Noise!" and giving him a pet, as if to say, "yep, this is just another thing that happens. It seemed to make him less nervous. Snuggling also helps, of course!