Here's What I'm Doing. Update Post 3

Guest AlmondJoy

Guest nerak254

Night before last, I had a meeting to go to and left the girls listening to their iPod and confined behind a baby gate. When I got home, I found them loose and noticed that Aruba had a boo-boo on her leg, she sliced a piece of skin about the size of a dollar coin. I've put antibiotic cream on it and have it bandaged so she can't lick it (she did get my first aid solution off this morning). Here is what it looked like this morning and am wondering if anyone has other home care ideas for me. Taking this to the vet is simply not an option because of $$$.

Edited by nerak254

Guest longdogs

No picture. A skin scrape shouldn't need a vet and just needs to be kept clean. I normally treat them initially with Betadine spray for a day or two, then nothing at all if it is starting to scab.

Edited by longdogs

Guest KennelMom

Stitches would probably be best, but without them that will probably heal fine. keep it clean and dry and apply topical antibiotics or something like bag balm to encourage granulation. You will need a vet visit if it starts to look infected, starts to smell or otherwise doesn't look right or starts to get bigger (i.e the skin continues to tear b/c it's over a joint - hard to tell from the pic). I would not try to stitch it myself!

Edited by KennelMom

Stitches probably wouldn't hold on her wrist anyway. Keep it clean and keep her from licking. You will have to go to the vet if it gets bigger or gets infected. Most vets will be compassionate if you're having money trouble and your pet needs care.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest greydogluvr

That looks like a tear. I am such a freak about this stuff I would already have gone to the evet. I have had stitches just above one of my grey's toes (from her foot getting caught under the door) and they held just fine.

Maybe there is a care plan you can look into, if need be. Consult your vet. I'd be worried about infection. Do you have antibiotics available?

Carl had a gash on his front leg that looked a lot like that. I took him to the vet, they just gave him antibiotics and told me to keep it clean. The vet didn't think I should keep it covered (but I did). I don't think he gave him stitches because there wasn't enough skin to pull together...another gash on the rear flank that looked like that did get stapled together as there was enough skin to pull together.

Probably antibiotics for sure.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Dianne1220

There's a good kind of bandage you can get - it stretches and stick to itself to make it harder for them to lick it off - you can put it over the gauze or whatever you are using don't put it on the open wound... I get it at the pet store where the first aid things are - comes in diff colors too. I would def try to keep the dog from licking it and making it worse.

It should heal up fine. Keep a close eye on it for swelling or smell to indicate infection. I use a combo of antibiotic ointment and something like zincofax. The zinc promotes granulation of tissue.

Foxy had a tear like that on her ear, it healed great and she has a nice covering of hair now. I was surprised as I really did not expect the hair to grow back. The only gross part was when the skin flap dried and fell off. She has a tiny bump where part of it took and the rest dried up.

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Cougar peeled his skin back in that same place (pulled foot back after it slipped up underneath a door). Stupid in-town vet put him under for stitches which he promptly removed on day 3 when he recovered from the anesthia.

Regular, wonderful vet that is 30 miles away, wrapped his leg for us every 3-5 days for several weeks, but it healed up with no infections, etc. He probably had an antibiotic at the beginning just in case. The vet was a little worried about the tape on the skin so he rewrapped and taped at a different spot each time. I imagine it is something you can do yourself if you aren't as big a sissy as I am.

Good luck.