Urinalysis Help

Guest greytbookert

Guest greytbookert

I know I could wait for the vet to call and he will call, but DH just came home with Mama's urinalysis and I seem to forgotten how to read it.... a little background, Mama's been peeing A LOT the past day and a half. She even had her first accident ever in the house yesterday and it was light in color and barely had a smell, so we sent her first pee of the day to the vet with DH. (DH works there)

Color Yellow

Turbidity: slightly cloudy

PH 6

Protein 30 -- why do I want to say YIKES

Bilirubin neg

Urobilirubin norm

SG 1.016 - again why do I want to say YIKES

RBC/HPF 1+

WBC/HPF Occasional

Epithelium 1-2+ Squamous

Crystals ns

Casts ns

Glucose, ketones were both negative...

Anyone know off the tops of the heads what this means... something doesn't seem right but I don't know and I can't help be very worried!

Edited by greytbookert

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Specific Gravity - 1.013-1.030 is normal for our lab that our vet uses.

The PH seems borderline to low to me. But ours is always 6.4 6.6 in that range usually. I think below 6 indicates that the dog eats infrequently or it could be the start of acidosis.

Don't worry about the protein, til you know what the creatine is. I believe it's more of a qualitaive result and creatine/protein ratios should balance out.

ETA: a urinalysis like this would not make me worry. Especially if she;s acting healthy.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest greytbookert

See I knew as soon as I posted this, the vet would call...

They are growing a culture just in case of infection but he is leaning towards kidney issues :weep because of the concentration or lack there of when she used to concentrate very well.

We're going to run blood so further investigate! If you could spare a prayer or two for Mama, I would really appreciate it...

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Many thoughts for Mama....

is she or was she dehydrated?

Also adding...I guess my value recollection is off... :blush sorry.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest greytbookert
Specific Gravity - 1.013-1.030 is normal for our lab that our vet uses.

The PH seems borderline to low to me. But ours is always 6.4 6.6 in that range usually. I think below 6 indicates that the dog eats infrequently or it could be the start of acidosis.

Don't worry about the protein, til you know what the creatine is. I believe it's more of a qualitaive result and creatine/protein ratios should balance out.

ETA: a urinalysis like this would not make me worry. Especially if she;s acting healthy.

Thanks! She's not acting herself, so that is what is making me worried. :( But she is eating 2x a day with an afternoon snack.. she is the first super senior that we have had that has never refused a meal :)

Many thoughts for Mama....

is she or was she dehydrated?

Also adding...I guess my value recollection is off... :blush sorry.

Nope, not dehydrated... she's drinking... kind of a lot but she has always loved her water but the last 2 days or so, she's loved it more.... :(

Guest greytkidsmom

Increased appetite, increased thirst, increased urination - if these three are present, don't forget to look for diabetes. Diabetes can also contribute to kidney problems if it has been present for a long time unrecognized and untreated. Hope she is okay and you get a good report from the vet.

Increased appetite, increased thirst, increased urination - if these three are present, don't forget to look for diabetes. Diabetes can also contribute to kidney problems if it has been present for a long time unrecognized and untreated. Hope she is okay and you get a good report from the vet.

With these symptoms you also might want to look for Cushings and keep a close watch on her eyesight. SARDs (sudden retinal degeneration syndrome) mimics Cushings then the dog suddenly loses it's eyesight (sometimes within hours). I believe Emmy of JillysFullHouse recently was diagnosed with SARDs, though I don't know if she went through the Cushings-like symptoms. Most times after that the Cushings symptoms dissipate. SARDs is not a greyhound disease, just a dog disease. 1.5 years ago my Sheila, a shiba inu/chow mix, developed the symptoms months before she lost her sight during a 4 hour car ride. There are no tests yet to predict SARDs, but there are for Cushings.

All good thoughts for you and your girl.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Was the analysis from a first-of-the-morning urine sample? That is what you want for specific gravity test.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytbookert

Great questions everyone, thanks!

we just got back from the vet (it's great that DH works there, they pretty much take us at anytime)

No evidence of Cushings or diabetes, which is good, I guess. The sample was from the 1st pee of the day at 4:30 am :(

Now for the bad news... slightly enlarged lymphnodes, elevated blood pressure...and she has lost 5 pounds in 6 months! how did I not see that?!

So the next steps are wait for the cultures of the urine in case of UTI, but we are not expecting a positive culture, then wait for the blood test results (probably tomorrow morning). Dr. Dave is really leaning towards kidney issues given her history and age.... Once all the results are in, we'll decide on the next course of action.

Edited by greytbookert

The 30+ protein wouldn't be concerning if the urine was very concentrated but this sample isn't. You really need to run a urine protein:creatinine ratio to see if the protein is significant. Protein losing nepropathy is not uncommon in Greyhounds and bloodwork can be normal or may only show a decrease in albumin.

A diluted urine sample MAY indicate kidney disease or it may simply show that she had a big drink... no easy way to tell that based on one urine sample. A single concentrated sample shows the kidneys work though.

Elevated BPs are also commonly seen with this type of kidney disease.

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1352

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest greytbookert
The 30+ protein wouldn't be concerning if the urine was very concentrated but this sample isn't. You really need to run a urine protein:creatinine ratio to see if the protein is significant. Protein losing nepropathy is not uncommon in Greyhounds and bloodwork can be normal or may only show a decrease in albumin.

A diluted urine sample MAY indicate kidney disease or it may simply show that she had a big drink... no easy way to tell that based on one urine sample. A single concentrated sample shows the kidneys work though.

Elevated BPs are also commonly seen with this type of kidney disease.

http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1352

Thank you Dr. Feeman! This is exactly what my vet said and he is doing further tests, we should know more later this week. And we are to bring in another urine sample tomorrow, just to check.

See I knew as soon as I posted this, the vet would call...

They are growing a culture just in case of infection but he is leaning towards kidney issues :weep because of the concentration or lack there of when she used to concentrate very well.

We're going to run blood so further investigate! If you could spare a prayer or two for Mama, I would really appreciate it...

Try not to panic; my last dog (not a Grey) had very dilute urine in his older years. We never really pinned down WHY, but switching him to Hill's K/D was enough to keep him comfortable (meaning he was able to hold it again!).

Hopefully your doctor is going to repeat the tests on a different sample? You need more than one dilute urine sample to be sure she's not concentrating urine well.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greytbookert
Try not to panic; my last dog (not a Grey) had very dilute urine in his older years. We never really pinned down WHY, but switching him to Hill's K/D was enough to keep him comfortable (meaning he was able to hold it again!).

Hopefully your doctor is going to repeat the tests on a different sample? You need more than one dilute urine sample to be sure she's not concentrating urine well.

Thanks! yes, the tests will be repeated with a fresh sample. A new one was dropped off this morning.

Last night, Mama vomitted for the only second time in over two years :( She seemed to have kept down breakfast, so that is good.

What are her teeth like? Bad teeth can lead to glomerulo nephritis (Kidney disease) which causes protein in the urine. Blood test may not show anything.

But don't fret....clearing up the bad teeth stops the damage. (doesn't heal the kidneys but stops any more damage).

Guest greytbookert
What are her teeth like? Bad teeth can lead to glomerulo nephritis (Kidney disease) which causes protein in the urine. Blood test may not show anything.

But don't fret....clearing up the bad teeth stops the damage. (doesn't heal the kidneys but stops any more damage).

Her teeth are certainly not stunning but they are not horrendous either. Since she's been with us (2+ years) I've been obsessed about brushing, cleanings, regular dentals etc. I asked about a dental now and the vet agrees that she doesn't really need it and given her advanced age, it is a very high risk with not much benefit, since her teeth are ok. She only has 8 teeth :) Most were extracted when she came home to us and the remaining molars came out six months after.

I just got off the phone with the vet and the blood results and additional urinalysis are in....

She is in early to moderate kidney failure :( with kidney values up and dilute urine. She does have a secondary infection, which we started antibiotics for yesterday. We'll be adjusting her diet to a low phosporous diet, which I need to research and become educated. Dr. Dave has retracted his initial thought of high blood pressure, so that is good news! More good news is that her RBC is good and shows no indication of anemia, which, I guess is an indicator of end stage failure.

We will retest all values in two weeks... I think Mama could use a prayer or two.

Her teeth are certainly not stunning but they are not horrendous either. Since she's been with us (2+ years) I've been obsessed about brushing, cleanings, regular dentals etc. I asked about a dental now and the vet agrees that she doesn't really need it and given her advanced age, it is a very high risk with not much benefit, since her teeth are ok. She only has 8 teeth :) Most were extracted when she came home to us and the remaining molars came out six months after.

I just got off the phone with the vet and the blood results and additional urinalysis are in....

She is in early to moderate kidney failure :( with kidney values up and dilute urine. She does have a secondary infection, which we started antibiotics for yesterday. We'll be adjusting her diet to a low phosporous diet, which I need to research and become educated. Dr. Dave has retracted his initial thought of high blood pressure, so that is good news! More good news is that her RBC is good and shows no indication of anemia, which, I guess is an indicator of end stage failure.

We will retest all values in two weeks... I think Mama could use a prayer or two.

Did they run a urine protein creatinine ratio?

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest greytbookert
Did they run a urine protein creatinine ratio?

I believe that he did, I'll be talking with him today to see the results of the urine culture and about a billion other questions that I have. When I speak with him, I'll make sure that the protein:creatinine ratio was done and find out the results.

Thanks Dr. Feeman, your input helps me so much in trying to understand what may be going on here. Mama is such a special girl and when she first came home to us, no one thought that she was going to last more than 6-8 months and here we are over 2 years later and this is her first medical issue.

Guest greytbookert

We have redone the urinalysis (just in case) and a urine protein creatinine ratio was done .... The blood work was done last week and all indicators are that poor Mama is in kidney failure at a moderate level. While the doctor says that it is not an imminent death sentence, it is not curable, we can only try to prevent the progression. :weep

Thanks to everyone for their input, suggestions and prayers... now I'm off to try and decode the secrets of a kidney diet for Mama.