Looking To Adopt Very Soon In Nc

Guest bobandpolly

Guest bobandpolly

Hi! we are new here and wanted to introduce ourselves and also ask for some advice.

First the introduction: We live in Apex, North Carolina. Polly is a high school science teacher; Bob is a network engineer for Verizon Business. We met some greyhounds from a local group at a street fair in early May and knew right away we wanted to adopt one, and immediately set out on learning more about the breed, determining if a grey would fit in our lifestyle, and getting our proverbial “ducks in a row”. We checked out books from the local library, Polly read “Adopting the racing greyhound” cover to cover in less than a day and is now reading the “Dummies” book. Bob started reading the Adopting book yesterday and is about half through it. We’ve filled out the applications. We’ve been successfully working on modifying some of our bad habits. We are going tomorrow to meet a grey being fostered locally to decide if his personality is compatible with ours.

Now the questions:

We are planning on getting a wire crate (foldable so we can take it with us when we travel). Where is a good source for these? We’ve been to the local PetsMart, where it looked as though a 40+” crate is about $120. Found this crate on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ER&v=glance for $80 and free shipping. Both of them to us are essentially sight unseen as even the ones in PetsMart were in boxes. Are their bad/ cheaply made crates? We don’t want to buy something substandard, but also don’t want to pay more than we need to. Is there somewhere better for pet supplies, on the internet or somewhere in the Triangle?

Another question, from what we have been reading it seems like people frequently have to try several different dog foods before they find one that works. How much should we get to start with? Is 5 lbs not enough to give the grey adequate time to adjust to the food? Is 20 lbs too much until we are sure (s)he is going to do well on that food? We were a bit overwhelmed by all the varieties at PetsMart, some of the literature we have picked up recommended some good brands, but it seems each of those brands puts out 20 different varieties of food. Where is a good place get food from... pet store, grocery, Wal-mart, SAMS?

In addition to these what we have listed we need are:

Bed- though we are planning on starting with comforters and egg crates.

Collar and ID tags

Humane Choke & Leash.

Muzzle-so we can participate in local play groups.

Hound glove for grooming

Elevated food and water bowls

Dental Care Bowls

Frontline

And of course toys.

Any other must-haves for the first few weeks?

We also have a list of local Grey-savy vets, and will be giving them a call to make sure they are taking new patients, and make sure they have convenient hours, etc.

Are we missing other biggies?

I suggest borrowing a crate if you can in the beginning until you decide if you really want a crate and it will be used. Then you have time to find what you want and a good deal on them. Online places are normally cheaper than what you will find at a local pet store.

Food - if your dog is being fostered, food may already be figured out. Start out feeding what the group or foster home is feeding. Being new to the home, a 5lb bag won't be enough to really determine if a food will work. I'd give a full 20 pounds or so for a new food to decide. But again, hopefully the dog is doing well on a food in the foster home.

Bed - anything works. If you want the dog to stay off your furniture... start those rules day 1. Hard to break that habit later.

collar/tags. Martingale should come from the group or should have one available for purchase. Premire (sp) collars are pretty standard and not spendy and readily available (or online if not so readily available). Or you can check out the pet merchandise forum here on GT and there are plenty of collar makers listed in the pinned merchant thread - collars and more collars all just a click away.

humane choke and leash - your martingale will be a humane choke collar - you won't need another type of collar unless you just want a tag collar. Leash - see above... group should provide or sell one, or any local store will have a leash. Collar merchants often have matching leashes for collars as well. 4' or 6' is up to you. Most won't suggest a flexi lead, especially for new owners. Leather/Nylon - again, your preference

Muzzle - NGA.org (I think that's the addy) - cheap, multiple colors and sizes and quick shipping

grooming glove - again, your preference. I personally like the rubber finger brush like things. Last one we bought was at Black and Decker - works great, easy to clean, my dogs love it.

Elevated food/water - can probably find that at a local pet store. Pretty much $$ for what they are anywhere. Or you can make your own - plant stands that are about 12-15" high or so that will hold a bowl, crates upside down, wood to build your own - lots of options for buying or making

Dental care - toothbrush and paste - get them used to it early

Frontline - depending on where you are, you will likely need some type of flea/tick control for the summer - your vet can help you decide as well. I use frontline or frontline plus

Toys - foster home can tell you if they play yet and if so, what type of toys. Stuffed ones are the big ones here, but balls and other materials work too - but not for all dogs. Trial and error on that.

Other must haves...

heartworm prevention - depends on where you live, but most of the US, you need it at least during the warmer months of the year, if not year round - again, check with your vet.

PetEdge is a good site to look for "stuff" and others will be along that can suggest other sites for purchases as well.

And take a look at the pet merchandise forum - lots of GTers there that sell stuff you might want/need/don't need/don't want/etc :)

Welcome to Greytalk :)

Guest greybookends

Welcome!! :wave

Trudy gave you excellent advise. I would just make one suggestion. Check with the vets in the area about the flea control. For many years everybody used the Frontline plus but in recent years have switched to K9 Advantix as for some reason in many areas it no longer works as well. So just check with your group and others in the area to find out what is working.

Congratulations and good luck!

Hi and welcome. :wave

Your life is about to change!!!! :lol

Sounds like you have all the "stuff" together.

I would however recommend that you set aside some TIME. The transition for you and your pupper will be so much easier. Can someone take off from work for at least 4 days? Most importantly is alone training.

I am not sure if you are getting a grey from the track or a foster. Alone training is the most important. You can read about alone training on this site. Start right away.

Take a deep breath and enjoy.

We are here to help and keep us informed, we love to hear about the progress.

Guest brucejy

I would ask your adoption group about the food. Find out what brand is being used at the foster. If it is working now, there is no use changing. Be sure to use a quality food -check out this site to see what others are feeding. It is worth the extra $'s for a premium food - it realy does make a diference.

As far as the crate, I would also ask around to see if someone had one that you could use on a temp. basis. We bought one that used for exactly 10 minutes about 4 years ago. It has since been folded up and stored in the basement.

Good luck with the new pup. They are wonderful!

Guest redreed

Welcome and gotta say good job on the research!!!! All the above advice was excellent, but I can add one thing. Check with your adoption group about a "welcome" package. Our group sells crates, food, toys, toothbrushes, grooming supplies at a hefty discount. We used a crate with Tiger Shark from day 1 and he liked to hang in it, so it stayed out for a few years. After he hadn't been in for about a month I took it down. But it was up for a while.

Guest bobandpolly

Thanks all for the warm welcome, and great advice.

One question on borrowing a crate. What we have read so far is that the greys can be a bit possessive about the crate, and therefore assumed a used one would be a bad thing due to having possibly been "marked" by a previous dog. Then again, I might be able to answer my own question.... sighthounds aren't big on using the old sniffer so a simple cleaning is all it might take to get rid of the scent.

A crate is the one thing we are pretty firm on wanting to use when we aren't home. Our house has a pretty open floor plan which makes it difficult to block off areas we want to be off limits when we aren't home. Also for the grey's own protection, our house also has a glass back door, and several low windows, and the horror stories of dogs going through windows terrifies me.

I would however recommend that you set aside some TIME. The transition for you and your pupper will be so much easier. Can someone take off from work for at least 4 days? Most importantly is alone training.

I (Polly) am a school teacher, so I am off until mid August, which is part of the reasoning for our timing on adopting. I've also read the cautions of "school teacher syndrome" and will make sure we make the progression to full days away as gradual as possible.

Welcome to the world of greyhounds!

Polly - you don't have enough posts yet to do any PM-ing. If there's someone you need to contact perhaps one of we other members can help you.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Greyhound Gang has a free, 20 page Greyhound Guide for new adopters. Lots of fabulous information with many questions answered.

Also at Greyhound Gang is a section called LEARN. Medical, Daily Care and more info.

I have found that most greyhounds do not need crates, particularly if you can put in a dog door to your fenced yard.

So borrowing one is a good idea. if you can get a 700 one - the biggest - that's always good.

I take it this is an only dog, as you don't mention other dogs. I'd make sure to start leaving the hound, for small amounts of time, to see how he/she does with being left alone. With your glass doors, do put stickers at nose level for the hound.

Food. Subscribe to Whole Dog Journal, they do articles on the best items, including food, for hounds. Kibble that has the most amount of meat, and least grains is the best. Innova Evo, Solid Gold Bark at the Moon are a couple. When you read the ingredient's labels, look for meat as the first ones listed, not grains.

best of luck. you'll have more than one soon.

claudia & Greyhound Gang

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest KennelMom
Thanks all for the warm welcome, and great advice.

One question on borrowing a crate. What we have read so far is that the greys can be a bit possessive about the crate, and therefore assumed a used one would be a bad thing due to having possibly been "marked" by a previous dog. Then again, I might be able to answer my own question.... sighthounds aren't big on using the old sniffer so a simple cleaning is all it might take to get rid of the scent.

I don't think there's a problem borrowing a crate and it has less to do with how much they use their sniffers and more to do with the fact that these dogs are used to travelling and being moved. Seems like the dogs are always re-arranged every time I go to the racing kennel in B'ham. Our girl Scout was in one part of the kennel when I first met her and in a completely different part when we went to pick her up when she retired...I think their mentality is "when I'm in it, it's mine" and not-so-much "it smells like me, it's mine."

However, a crate is always a handy thing to have. I'd get one that collapses (vs a drop pin crate), so you can store it easily and not have to worry about loose parts. If you travel with your grey, a crate can be really useful in hotel rooms or other people's houses.

You've gotten great advice so far...and regarding a muzzle, I think all the adoption groups in NC send a muzzle home with the dog included in the adoption fee. If not, I think they all sell them. I've always gotten their track muzzle which may or may not be in pristine condition (usually not). With my first greyhound I wanted everything new and perfect so I bought a new one.

There are two topics guaranteed to spark debate: Cesar Milan and dog food. :lol With dog food, just buy the best food you can afford that your dog does well on. I'd find out what they are feeding at the kennel/adoption group and just use that for a while - at least the first month or two as your dog acclimates to your home. Then you can start looking to switch if you want. We feed Costco's Kirkland brand - just about the best food you can get for the price (plus Costco has great dog beds!). Good alternatives would be Diamond Naturals, Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance or Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul - all of these are readily available at either pet stores or feed stores. A rule of thumb is to look for more meat and less fillers. Lower end foods tend to use corn as fillers. I also like to be able to identify as many of the ingredients as possible (instead of long chemical-sounding names).

Welcome to greyhounds!

Edited by KennelMom

Hello and welcome to the world of greyhounds.

I would not worry about borrowing a crate and the dog not liking the smell. The crate I bought for my greyhound went through 2 friends and family's dogs before we got it back, it's current occupant is our bulldog and she's just fine with it. Just give the crate a good cleaning if you borrow one before you use it. Of course it's not a bad idea to buy a crate just to have either.

Best of luck and post pictures when you adopt your grey.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Good luck picking out a new hound! One good place to look for a crate is on Craigslist. If none are advertised as available in the Triangle, you could post the dimensions, etc. on the type you would like to buy. It may not work, but it could also save you some money. :) I think the possessiveness regarding a crate may relate more to invading a dog's space while they are in one, not to the smells already on it.

Oh yes, I also wanted to say that Sahara likes to sniff constantly when we are on walks. Once we were at the park, and she was walking with her nose down on the ground to catch all the smells. A lady asked me if she was a dog. I said she was a greyhound, and the woman said she'd never seen a greyhound that looked like that before. I think maybe the woman thought that Sahara couldn't lift her head up straight. :dunno Maybe Sahara's just one of the goofy greyhounds that thinks she's a beagle! :P

Rebecca
with Atlas the borzoi, Luna the pyr, and Madison the cat, always missing Sahara(Flyin Tara Lyn) and Coltrane(Blue on By) the greyhounds

Guest bobandpolly
Polly - you don't have enough posts yet to do any PM-ing. If there's someone you need to contact perhaps one of we other members can help you.

Out of curiosity how many posts do you have to have?

Thanks all for the advice on the crates. We'll be checking out Craigslist, etc to see what we can find.

Went and met the local dog today. He was a beautiful boy, but didn't seem particularly interested in us, but there was a lot going on so it might have been more the location/atmosphere than the dog. We are going to hit one of the not-so nearby kennels to see if our new family member might be waiting for us there.

We got a lot of greyt advice at the meet n' greet today from some new owners and some seasoned veterans. Coupling that from what we are getting from here and reading in all of the sources we can get our hands on I think we are off to a good start.

Guest FlyingHound

Hi and welcome!

Everyone's already given all the advice I can think of, just wanted to say best of luck in finding the One for you!

Polly, you'll need to have :ph34r 50 posts I believe before you can use the PM feature. The posts need to be in greyhound topics (rather than Off Topic, Soap Box, etc.)

GTer Thunderpaws is with Triangle Greyhound in Raleigh. Their adoptable dogs are in foster homes.

And here's Greyhound Friends in the Greensboro/Oak Ridge area's available's: GFNC adoptables

Editing to add: there are some GFNC dogs in foster homes in the Wilmington area - Ollie and Katie (her picture may not be up yet.)

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest ThunderPaws

Hi Bob and Polly, glad you were able to join us at Panera this morning! Hope you didn't get totally overwhelmed by all the advice and suggestions. Us greyhound folks love to talk about our hounds! :lol Sorry that foster Mud ate half of your sandwich, he is a chow hound alright! :rolleyes:

Ebay seller "petisfun" has new folding 48" wire crates that come to around $60-$70 including shipping, I've bought from them before without problems.

Let us know if you have any other questions and we look forward to meeting your new hound soon!

Guest bobandpolly
Hi Bob and Polly, glad you were able to join us at Panera this morning! Hope you didn't get totally overwhelmed by all the advice and suggestions. Us greyhound folks love to talk about our hounds! :lol Sorry that foster Mud ate half of your sandwich, he is a chow hound alright! :rolleyes:

Ebay seller "petisfun" has new folding 48" wire crates that come to around $60-$70 including shipping, I've bought from them before without problems.

Let us know if you have any other questions and we look forward to meeting your new hound soon!

It was great meeting you guys, and really it is great to hear all the different opinions on how different people deal with different aspects of being responsible for the hounds.

No worries on the sandwich either, if we were uptight about things like that we wouldn't be getting a dog! Hope to see y'all again soon hopefully with our own furbaby in tow.

Bob did a little searching on Craigslist and found a couple of possibilities. He e-mailed one of the posters to get some more info about the crate.

Edited by bobandpolly

Guest bobandpolly
Polly, you'll need to have :ph34r 50 posts I believe before you can use the PM feature. The posts need to be in greyhound topics (rather than Off Topic, Soap Box, etc.)

GTer Thunderpaws is with Triangle Greyhound in Raleigh. Their adoptable dogs are in foster homes.

And here's Greyhound Friends in the Greensboro/Oak Ridge area's available's: GFNC adoptables

Editing to add: there are some GFNC dogs in foster homes in the Wilmington area - Ollie and Katie (her picture may not be up yet.)

Yep we met Christina today. It was actually their group who first got the idea of getting a greyhound into our head. We are planning on hitting the Greensboro kennel in the very near future.

Guest TBSFlame
Hi! we are new here and wanted to introduce ourselves and also ask for some advice.

First the introduction: We live in Apex, North Carolina. Polly is a high school science teacher; Bob is a network engineer for Verizon Business. We met some greyhounds from a local group at a street fair in early May and knew right away we wanted to adopt one, and immediately set out on learning more about the breed, determining if a grey would fit in our lifestyle, and getting our proverbial "ducks in a row". We checked out books from the local library, Polly read "Adopting the racing greyhound" cover to cover in less than a day and is now reading the "Dummies" book. Bob started reading the Adopting book yesterday and is about half through it. We've filled out the applications. We've been successfully working on modifying some of our bad habits. We are going tomorrow to meet a grey being fostered locally to decide if his personality is compatible with ours.

Now the questions:

We are planning on getting a wire crate (foldable so we can take it with us when we travel). Where is a good source for these? We've been to the local PetsMart, where it looked as though a 40+" crate is about $120. Found this crate on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ER&v=glance for $80 and free shipping. Both of them to us are essentially sight unseen as even the ones in PetsMart were in boxes. Are their bad/ cheaply made crates? We don't want to buy something substandard, but also don't want to pay more than we need to. Is there somewhere better for pet supplies, on the internet or somewhere in the Triangle?

Another question, from what we have been reading it seems like people frequently have to try several different dog foods before they find one that works. How much should we get to start with? Is 5 lbs not enough to give the grey adequate time to adjust to the food? Is 20 lbs too much until we are sure (s)he is going to do well on that food? We were a bit overwhelmed by all the varieties at PetsMart, some of the literature we have picked up recommended some good brands, but it seems each of those brands puts out 20 different varieties of food. Where is a good place get food from... pet store, grocery, Wal-mart, SAMS?

In addition to these what we have listed we need are:

Bed- though we are planning on starting with comforters and egg crates.

Collar and ID tags

Humane Choke & Leash.

Muzzle-so we can participate in local play groups.

Hound glove for grooming

Elevated food and water bowls

Dental Care Bowls

Frontline

And of course toys.

Any other must-haves for the first few weeks?

We also have a list of local Grey-savy vets, and will be giving them a call to make sure they are taking new patients, and make sure they have convenient hours, etc.

Are we missing other biggies?

Welcome and congratulations on your pending adoption. A lot of groups offer muzzles and collars with the adoption package. Check with the group you are working with.

quote name='bobandpolly' date='Jun 22 2008, 08:28 AM' post='3424484'

"Thanks all for the warm welcome, and great advice.

One question on borrowing a crate. What we have read so far is that the greys can be a bit possessive about the crate, and therefore assumed a used one would be a bad thing due to having possibly been "marked" by a previous dog. Then again, I might be able to answer my own question.... sighthounds aren't big on using the old sniffer so a simple cleaning is all it might take to get rid of the scent. "

I don't know where you got the idea that Greyhounds don't use their noses! Yes, they HUNT by sight, but I've never seen a dog sniff and track smells they way my Greyhound does! But as to borrowing a crate--they're not possessive of it in that manner--if a dog was using the crate, and his bed and toys were in it, he might be upset if another dog went in it--but your dog-to-be won't smell the remnants of another dog on the crate and refuse to go in it! A simple cleaning is more than sufficient. Everything in your dogs world will be brand new to it--don't worry too much about the little stuff!

My dog found THREE sandwiches in the woods around my building in his first few weeks home! Now, I had NO IDEA we had a tuna bush in our woods, but apparently we do! :rofl I guess there are people who believe that when you're finished with a sandwich, you should just toss it in the bushes. The dog moved in and thought he landed in sandwich heaven! They have EXCELLENT noses, use them well, and use them often! I've heard of dogs climbing on top of beds and stealing food off the top of book shelves!

I got my crate on eBay, believe it or not. I paid a very low price for the crate, and a really high price for shipping, but the total combined was way, way less than buying it at a pet store! You can often find used ones in the local listings too.

Welcome, and good luck!!

Oh, and someone suggested Advantix: if you have a cat, you can't use that, FYI.

Edited by JumpingGeorge

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greytbuds

Welcome Bob and Polly! I volunteer at GFNC in Oak Ridge -- hope you guys find a greyt best friend soon!! There are lots of wonderful dogs at the kennel and we'd love to show you some if you get up our way! It's always a pleasure to work with folks who have done their homework!!

Best of luck and keep us posted,

Greytbuds to Beau

Guest bobandpolly
Welcome Bob and Polly! I volunteer at GFNC in Oak Ridge -- hope you guys find a greyt best friend soon!! There are lots of wonderful dogs at the kennel and we'd love to show you some if you get up our way! It's always a pleasure to work with folks who have done their homework!!

Best of luck and keep us posted,

Greytbuds to Beau

Thanks,

Hope to see you when we make it out to the kennel. Bob put the adoption application in the mail today!

Guest whatahound

Welcome to the world of greyhounds. Sounds like you guys are doing all the right things so you are prepared for the new arrival. I volunteer at Project Racing Home in Randleman, NC, you have lots of choices in North Carolina for finding your forever friend. :colgate

Good Luck, we'll need to see some pictures soon.

Guest GreytMuse
Coupling that from what we are getting from here and reading in all of the sources we can get our hands on I think we are off to a good start.

Agreed! You are off to an excellent start! This forum is a wonderful resource for all things Grey, how I wish I'd had something similar when I adopted my first hound 12 years ago.

Best of luck in your search -- the right pup is waiting for you! :)

Welcome Bob and Polly

I volunteer with GFNC here in Charlotte. My Maddie came from GFNC in Oak Ridge almost 3 years ago. You are off to a good start with all the research that you have done on greyhounds and the right one is waiting for you. Good Luck and we will want photos when you get your pupper.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]