I'm Worried About Our Flashman

Our Flashy's weight has always fluctuated from 73-75 pounds. We very slowly have tapered him off his Soloxine so that he can have his complete profile sent to Michigan State. He immediatly went up to 79 pounds but remained stable at 79 pounds as we were tapering him. I see that his activity level has for sure decreased and his hunger increased. I took him for his weight check today and he is at 84.4 pounds. :( He already eats reduced calorie food (Natural Balance) and the girls are on the Kirkland Chicken and Rice...He never gets into their food...and we have made no changes in his diet or amount we feed...he gets his usual biskie in the afternoon and one at bedtime. It just worries me and we have several more weeks before his blood can be drawn. :blush

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Hugs to you all, and can you just decrease his ration a bit? Say 1/4 c each feeding? If he's less active, he'll need less, despite his hunger (what healthy self-respecting canine isn't ready to eat pretty much always? :P )

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Why did you have to take him off the Soloxine?

Ditto the question. Does vet think thyroid might not be his problem and is looking for something else?

FWIW, the Nature's Recipe foods are all pretty low calorie per volume -- something like that might make him feel more full while not adding many calories. You could supplement them with some boiled chicken or beef or egg, to boost the protein a bit.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Ditto the question. Does vet think thyroid might not be his problem and is looking for something else?

FWIW, the Nature's Recipe foods are all pretty low calorie per volume -- something like that might make him feel more full while not adding many calories. You could supplement them with some boiled chicken or beef or egg, to boost the protein a bit.

Our Flashman is having a full thyroid profile done at Michigan State and he has to be off the Soloxine for at least 6 weeks. :)

Usethisone.jpg

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

6 weeks? Diamond had a full panel done and she was only off for about a week. Her TSH was up and thyroid down which indicated her thyroid was not working up to par. When she's off her meds, she gains weight very quickly on half the amount of food that the others get (including her full sister).

Guest paulamariez

Poor Flashy! Seems something's not right! Sounds to me like the thyroid is a problem! Short of getting more exercise, I can't think of much more to do for the weight gain. Poor guy. I'm sure the weight gain doesn't feel good to the Flashman either! I'll keep Flash in my prayers. Tiger, Bueller and Domino are sending Flashy some doggie kisses as well!

Our Flashman is having a full thyroid profile done at Michigan State and he has to be off the Soloxine for at least 6 weeks

That just doesn't sound right. They can do a "fasting" profile within less than 24 hours of being off Soloxine. When they review the results they take into account the dog is currently being treated with Soloxine.

The symptoms you are describing are certainly ones that can be from low thyroid.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Our Flashman is having a full thyroid profile done at Michigan State and he has to be off the Soloxine for at least 6 weeks. :)

We did the same thing with Chloe last year. We had to wait 6 weeks and it was hard because her old behavior showed up and my sweet Chloe was gone.

We did not have an issue with her weight, but she was lethagic. It was hard not to put her back on, but somehow we to through it.

I hope it gets better for the Flahsman.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Can you let them know what's going on with him? Maybe they might change up the pre-draw routine ie shorten it , considering he seems to be so very symptomatic.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I'm really confused because I've always been told that they can do a profile while the dog is on Soloxine as long as it's within 5-6 hours after the dose and that will give them an accurate reading. A kennel vet as well as my own vet told me that. Poor Flashy, that wreaks havoc on the system.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest gretzky

Poor Flashy. Was there a reason you decided to have a full panel run after he was already on it?

Wonder put on a lot of weight in a very short time when we stopped the previous thyroid med (not Soloxine) and before Soloxine was started. Since she's been on it we have had a hard time getting weight off.

Robin, what did the test show? We have an appointment Saturday to talk about Wonder's thyroid and Soloxine dosage. The last time she was in they just did a free T4 six hours after last dose and the result was right in the middle of the acceptable levels. :dunno

ETA: the hours part.

Edited by gretzky

According to the literature from Michigan State...we need to wait 6 weeks. :blush Thanks everybody. :grouphug

Edited by patricia

Usethisone.jpg

I am sorry I have no advice. But I wanted to send you hugs and let you know I am thinking about you and Flashman. :bighug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest vahoundlover
According to the literature from Michigan State...we need to wait 6 weeks. :blush Thanks everybody. :grouphug

That's my understanding too.

Hang in there and tho time goes by so fast these days, I'll pray it goes by a little faster. Give that handsome man a kiss for me. :wub:

Guest FullMetalFrank

If you do end up cutting down his kibble ration in the mean time, maybe you could add some green beans or other veggies so he doesn't feel like he's being deprived. Sending hugs for Flashy!