Interceptor

We don't usually use Interceptor (heart worm plus other worm preventative) here. We don't have heartworm in this area, so it's not normally recommended.

But - a foster came with hookworm. Which, if I understand correctly, goes into the yard from the poop, and infests the soil, and can infect any dog, at any time. We have a fenced yard, and I wasn't picking up the poops immediately (didn't know the foster had hooks).

My dogs and the foster have been treated now. But - I assume my yard is now contaminated with hooks. Will putting them on Interceptor monthly prevent them from getting hooks again from the yard?

We had a foster that came through- and although we never saw it here, he presented with worms in his new home! Ack!

Both of our "regulars" are on Interceptor, although Tito is not. None of them has ever had worms. Of course, out here the poop cooks at about 110F every day- in the sun- so I don't know how long they live under those conditions. But Interceptor is effective on hookworms, roundworms, and whipworm, not just heartworm.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Are you sure you don't have heartworm there? Do you travel with your dogs at all?

Take a looky here:

http://www.knowheartworms.org/incidencemap.asp

I'd use the Interceptor in any case. It'll usually prevent a reinfestation in all but the worst environments.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest trevdog

We use Inteceptor here too!

However for the past 2 months, Ossie has been having loose, light colored poos. He's always been pretty regular in the 4 years we've had him, I'm wondering if it's possible he's contracted worms somehow even though he's on Interceptor and we are off to the vet Sat for a checkup. At first I thought it was due to being nervous at the kennel we boarded the pups out but it seems to have gotten worse and Dallas is perfectly normal. Food hasn't changed either.

I would think Pennsylvania would have mosquitoes, and where there are mosquitoes there is a danger of heartworm. I would put them on something live Revolution or Interceptor just to be safe - ask your vet.

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

We use incercepter here too, but also have in the past had contracted hooks while on it. The company which makes interceptor reimbursed the vet for the diagnostic test and treatment, but did not pay for the follow up test to be sure they were gone. While it's a preventative, it's not totally foolproof. It's still wise to get tested yearly.

Guest trevdog
We use incercepter here too, but also have in the past had contracted hooks while on it. The company which makes interceptor reimbursed the vet for the diagnostic test and treatment, but did not pay for the follow up test to be sure they were gone. While it's a preventative, it's not totally foolproof. It's still wise to get tested yearly.

That's good to know...he gets tested yearly, but I suspect he may have gotten them around the 'hood. We have some neighbors that let their dogs roam and they have questionable skills as pet parents.

Hoping this is all we are dealing with.

Guest KennelMom

I've not heard of not needing HW prevention in PA. Our dog was always on it when we lived there. The Heartworm Society's map is HW cases per reporting clinic...so there are heartworm-carrying skeeters in PA.

As mentioned earlier, Interceptor should help prevent hook infestations if you have them in your yard.

We don't have heartworm in this area, so it's not normally recommended.

Definetely should be on hw preventative anywhere in the States!

If dog has hook, treatment then use Interceptor. You can go 45 days (I usually do 40 just in case) instead of 30 days.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

My sister lived in Bucks County, PA and the vet never put her springer on heartworm medicine either. I never understood that. I'm in VA so it's a given....all four of mine are on Interceptor.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Definitely needs to be on HW prevention. You will also need to verify that they are HW negative befoer starting Interceptor... it is a good drug but can cause a lot of harm in a heartworm positive dog.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest greyladydown
We use incercepter here too, but also have in the past had contracted hooks while on it.

Same thing happened to us. We switched to Heartguard Plus and haven't had problem since.