Micro Chips And Cancer?

Guest jettcricket

Guest jettcricket

Has anyone ever heard of microchips causing cancerous tumors in animals??? A friend of mine had told me that she had heard that. Please say this is not true...I just had my new boy, Dave, chipped over the weekend and my girlie, Cricket, has been chipped for years.

Anyone have any information on this???????

Has anyone ever heard of microchips causing cancerous tumors in animals??? A friend of mine had told me that she had heard that. Please say this is not true...I just had my new boy, Dave, chipped over the weekend and my girlie, Cricket, has been chipped for years.

Anyone have any information on this???????

OMG! Say it ain't so...Wendy's getting micro-chipped on Friday! :eek Off to do some research.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

I believe I read that it was more common in cats than in dogs, but yes, I have heard of cancer developing around the chip.

I found a few previous posts on the topic: Link 1

Link 2

Only angel Icarus and Atlas were chipped in our house; Atlas' migrated to goodness knows where, Icarus' never moved.... however, I am suspicious if Uber is chipped from his previous owner since he has that "grain" under his skin between his shoulder blades. I keep forgetting to ask the vet to scan him.

Edited by Jiffer

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

There have been a few single case reports where tumors have arisen at the site of a microchip... a cause/effect relationship was not definitively established, however. Even if there is a true "cause/effect" relationship, the risk would be so low that the benefits of chipping would far out weigh any perceived risk.

I don't know of any oncologists who have recommended against microchipping as well.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest jettcricket
There have been a few single case reports where tumors have arisen at the site of a microchip... a cause/effect relationship was not definitively established, however. Even if there is a true "cause/effect" relationship, the risk would be so low that the benefits of chipping would far out weigh any perceived risk.

I don't know of any oncologists who have recommended against microchipping as well.

Phew....thank you Dr. Feeman. I just got off the phone with my vet and they pretty much said the same thing. I lost my boy, Jett, to cancer, but it was mast cell tumor cancer...nothing related to his microchip.

Ok, now I can breath a bit easier. :)

Phew....thank you Dr. Feeman. I just got off the phone with my vet and they pretty much said the same thing. I lost my boy, Jett, to cancer, but it was mast cell tumor cancer...nothing related to his microchip.

Ok, now I can breath a bit easier. :)

Both of my current dogs are chipped and my next ones will be to. : )

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg

Guest jettcricket
I believe I read that it was more common in cats than in dogs, but yes, I have heard of cancer developing around the chip.

I found a few previous posts on the topic: Link 1

Link 2

Only angel Icarus and Atlas were chipped in our house; Atlas' migrated to goodness knows where, Icarus' never moved.... however, I am suspicious if Uber is chipped from his previous owner since he has that "grain" under his skin between his shoulder blades. I keep forgetting to ask the vet to scan him.

I've heard now with the universal chips that they use, they no longer migrate to other areas of the body. Don't know how true it is...but thanks for the links!!

Edited by jettcricket

When Angel LaceyLaine became so ill....Oncology DID ask me if she was chipped along with the bazillion other questions including lawn fertilzers...pest spraying and on and on. :blush

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest rosebudd

my cat's micro chip grew out of her skin. One day I was petting her and felt a scab thing, when I looked at it and "played" with it a bit the micro chip came out in my hand leaving an open wound on the back of my cat's neck. I have not microchipped since then. unfortunately I will have to get all 3 microchipped before we go to hawaii, hopefully it will work out better then.

My cousin had told me about this. If I remember correctly it was linked to it being activated. I wish I could ask her. :(

Implantable RFID chips are not "activated." They are simply radio transponders- they have been in use since World War II, albeit in greatly modified form from the relatively crude devices that were in use then. In short, the "wand" used to detect them throws some radio frequency energy at them, and the chip reads back a given number when energized in this fashion. The RF exposure is far less than most people would get from walking around with a cell phone next to their head for a few minutes- and implanted RFID chips in dogs are rarely scanned (once or twice a year, if ever).

What makes them a potential tumor promoter is that they're INSIDE THE SKIN. They're non-native, so the body may react adversely to them, even though they are manufactured out of biologically inert products. Same as anything else that penetrates the skin- the body can react to it. The formation of local tumors is one potential response.

They seem rare, and one has to balance the risk against that of potential recovery in the event of theft or loss.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

My cousin had told me about this. If I remember correctly it was linked to it being activated. I wish I could ask her. :(

Implantable RFID chips are not "activated." They are simply radio transponders- they have been in use since World War II, albeit in greatly modified form from the relatively crude devices that were in use then. In short, the "wand" used to detect them throws some radio frequency energy at them, and the chip reads back a given number when energized in this fashion. The RF exposure is far less than most people would get from walking around with a cell phone next to their head for a few minutes- and implanted RFID chips in dogs are rarely scanned (once or twice a year, if ever).

What makes them a potential tumor promoter is that they're INSIDE THE SKIN. They're non-native, so the body may react adversely to them, even though they are manufactured out of biologically inert products. Same as anything else that penetrates the skin- the body can react to it. The formation of local tumors is one potential response.

They seem rare, and one has to balance the risk against that of potential recovery in the event of theft or loss.

Thanks for the clarification!

The Girls

Ugh. I had to have all of my animals chipped before we move to the UK or they wouldn't be chipped now. Never have been in the past. I know all the arguments about recovery rates of lost animals, etc., but the thought of something injected into their bodies like that has never appealed to me. This kind of news doesn't make me any happier about it, regardless how rare the occurance.

Edited by NanLassiter

1891749469_26b4440a06_m.jpg
Nancy and Simon Dunne, with Clown and Daisy in Greenville,

SC....but missing West Yorkshire summat chronic! uk.gif

Guest paulamariez

I had three of my dogs micro chipped and none of them ever developed cancer. In fact, my Siberian Husky Nikki was chipped years ago when they first came out and she lived to the ripe old age of 19 years old!! She just passed last September! No cancer, no problems!

Guest jettcricket
I had three of my dogs micro chipped and none of them ever developed cancer. In fact, my Siberian Husky Nikki was chipped years ago when they first came out and she lived to the ripe old age of 19 years old!! She just passed last September! No cancer, no problems!

Wow.....19 that's awesome.

Guest greydogluvr

petplace.com/do-microchips-cause-cancer.

I hope this works. I just got this in my e-mail today.

Well the link does not work but her is the info- cut and paste version

Do microchips cause cancer in dogs and cats?

The answer is – we don't really know. There has been one reported case that they suspect the microchip could have been a problem but the dog was also vaccinated for rabies and a definite cause could not be determined. Are there more cases that have not yet been diagnosed? I don't know.

What should you do if your pet has a microchip?

I'd recommend having your pet scanned during his routine exam at your veterinarian's office. Chips are generally injected over the back but can migrate from over the back to the sides. By scanning the pet, you will be able to determine if the chip works and the location of the chip. Then I'd recommend feeling that area (just as women would do a self-breast exam) for the presence of a mass or problem on a regular basis. If you feel any sort of mass, see your veterinarian immediately.

My Final Thoughts - Should you microchip your dog?

Absolutely Yes! microchips are the best way of permanent identification of dogs. The chips are considered reliable and an effective way to identify lost pets. At this point in time, we believe that they likelihood of a pet being lost and possibly being euthanized because he cannot be identified is way higher than the chance of the pet developing a tumor.

I suspect there will be lots of new information about this as time goes on. I'll keep you informed.

What are your thoughts? Email me!

Disclaimer

The Irreverent Vet is a columnist that regularly contributes to PetPlace.com. The goal is to add a balanced and alternative view of some controversial pet issues. As happens with all of us, veterinarians can't say what they really think without offending some clients. This commentary allows vets to say what they think and give you, the pet owner, and the opportunity to consider another view. All opinions are those of the Politically Incorrect Vet and not the views of PetPlace.com and are not endorsed by PetPlace.com.

Edited by greydogluvr

I've heard now with the universal chips that they use, they no longer migrate to other areas of the body. Don't know how true it is...but thanks for the links!!

Kira's first AVID chip migrated to her side, hence the second chip. I believe she had the first one for two years. Depending on the dog, I would think they could still migrate.

Until there is further research into this, I will continue to chip our dogs......IMHO, the chance of recovering them if they are lost far outweighs the chance of them getting a tumor because of the chip. Our group gets too many stray greyhounds out of shelters that might have been reunited with their owners had they been chipped.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest ellieb

Maximilian was micro-chipped by the group before he came to us. Indigo is not chipped.

Not sure why we haven't had her done, yet. I am all for the micro-chips. All three feline boys are chipped, too. Bettas are not.

I need to get that done.

Ellie

Roo is microchipped. I figured she doesn't have racing tattoos and is more of an escape risk than Aero or Doc. I hope there isn't a risk with microchipping. I suppose if it became an issue people could have them removed.

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Guest KipperGrey

Microchips are generally in the same area that some vaccines are given. I would be more inclined to think cancers in this area would be more likely related to the vaccines. I think there is a pattern as to where vets give certain vaccines for that very reason. I remember one vet telling me that they gave a certain vaccine to my cat in the leg because if cancer did develop there it is easier to remove the leg than treat cancer on the back. They could also identify which vaccine may have caused it by the location.

They now make non-adjuvanted vaccines that are safer and less likely to cause cancers. I am still reading up on them. From what I understand adjuvants are added to vaccines to help make them more effective but at the same time can cause cancer and immunology issues. Purevax is the brand name by Merial.