Brushing Teefies!

Guest krisandzoo

Guest krisandzoo

Many people say only the front of dogs' teeth need brushed because the backs are cleaned by the tongue. I see buildup on the back of my greys' teeth. brush their teeth 5-6 times a week already. They've graduated from a finger brush to a doggy toothbrush - this is definately more comfortable for their back teeth. I'm wondering how you guys get the backs of their teeth (or if you do I suppose).

Curious too - do you use circle motions on their teeth? That's what I've been doing and it works well. I'm just wondering if I'm doing the best I can by those pretty teefies!

I have to brush my Polli's teeth EVERY day. I take the tooth brush and because it is everyday, she is really fine with it. I brush all her teeth, front, back, up and down. I do the circular movement on them. The others only get it once a weekl.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest krisandzoo
I have to brush my Polli's teeth EVERY day. I take the tooth brush and because it is everyday, she is really fine with it. I brush all her teeth, front, back, up and down. I do the circular movement on them. The others only get it once a weekl.

Thanks for the response. :) My goal is every dog and everyday but usually 1 day a week (Sunday) I find it hard to remember with everything else going on. They're fine with the fronts but I guess I just need to try to adjust them to the backs. I'm curious how they will take it. I'm glad to know my guys aren't the only ones needing more than the fronts brushed.

Guest Gingy

I just got my grey recently and try to brush her teeth every day as well, she's got some inflamed gums and plaque going on in the back. She does pretty well with the toothbrush, but I use Petz life and it makes her smack her mouth open and shut. That makes it a little difficult to get the toothbrush in the back and really get good brushing going.

I use electric toothbrushes for Wabi and Brilly. Pogo won't stand for it, yet (if ever!) and Happy will get it eventually, too (she had 1/2 of her teeth pulled right after we got her, and I wanted to start out gently). I just brush the outsides, except on specific teeth that seem to need more on the biting side. Haven't noticed a need on the tongue sides.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest ChancesMom

I hate to admit it but I have had Chance since January and have never brushed his teeth. What product do most of you use and is it better to use you fingers first to get them used to it or do you start out with a brush? I do give him raw turkey necks a couple of times a week.

Guest onefloppyear

We're still pretty new at the process, too. We found that it was easier to start out with a little brush that fits over the tip of your finger. It looks a little like the tip of a rubber glove with little bristles sticking out of it. We have some icky meat-flavored toothpaste that we got at the pet store. (Don't use toothpaste for people - it can be harmful to the dog.) The dog spends half his time licking at the brush, which adds a degree of difficulty to the process. :) One of us hugs the dog and pets him and talks to him while the other one brushes. Still not our dog's favorite activity, but it gets a little easier with time.

As for Krisandzoo's question, we don't get to the insides. It's hard enough to get to the outsides at this point. We try to feed a lot of chewy things in the hope that it will help his teeth also. I have heard of people who hook a thumb inside the front teeth to keep the dog from closing its mouth while they brush. I'm not that brave, though.

Edited by onefloppyear

I use the Aqudent for the water. And CET makes a tarter control toothpaste. I use that and the CET chews.

www.healthypets.com

They sell it.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FullMetalFrank

I stick my thumb in Frank's mouth, between his jaws. Then I brush alongside the backs, outside first, try to get a little on the inside, then I do his front teeth. Picture sticking your thumb in between the jaws and wrapping the rest of your hand gently around the upper muzzle, that's pretty much how I hold his head. I have been brushing with a damp brush dipped in Wysong Denta-treat.

Guest krisandzoo
I stick my thumb in Frank's mouth, between his jaws. Then I brush alongside the backs, outside first, try to get a little on the inside, then I do his front teeth. Picture sticking your thumb in between the jaws and wrapping the rest of your hand gently around the upper muzzle, that's pretty much how I hold his head. I have been brushing with a damp brush dipped in Wysong Denta-treat.

That's perfect - thank you! :D

I've just noticed their big teeth on the bottom are getting plaque in the back. They get chews twice a week but I don't mind taking an extra couple of minutes everyday to make sure I'm keeping them healthy.

Guest MySkye

Electric toothbrush here, but we started with the fingers, than the soft brush toothbrush and now they don't even have to be awake for me to brush their teeth!

Good luck!

I think it's way more important to do the back teeth than the front! Of course George managed to destroy his own front teeth living at the track for three years--they're just stubs.

My method is to actually straddle him, as if riding a horse, and brush away! He's pretty much OK with it. I have one of those special pet tooth brushes with the really long handle, and it works just fine.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

you definitely want to get the back teeth. Holly doesn't do 'toothbrushes', so I wrap either some guaze or even just tshirt material around my finger and just lift her lip and rub it around her teeth. you can see gunk come off on the gauze...actually makes you feel like you've accomplished something!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Ally

I was told not to brush by my rescue place. Instead she told me to just give them a big bone every week. To be honest it seems to work, we gave them both one last week and their teeth were sparkling white at the end of the mammoth session. Never seem them so quiet in the garden. However, their teeth may have been sparkly, but their paws definitely weren't.

Guest Hotwire

We have to brush Boo's teeth almost everyday, the others maybe once a week or less. We just started using the electric toothbrush with them and we love it, the dogs tolerate it. It just seems like we can get more accomplished in less time with this.