Ear Thermometers

Guest HersheysMom

Guest HersheysMom

Was wondering if anyone knows if using an ear thermometer as opposed to rectal is accepatable to get an accurate reading on a dog's temp? I have used this method but not for a couple of years. No crisis right now but in the coming weeks w/Hershey's chemo I need to be ready to take a temp at any time, and am embarrased to say I have no idea how to take a rectal temp and don't want to hurt him, although I suppose the vet could show me...

I've been told by a vet ear ones are not accurate in dogs.

Buy a digital rectal thermometer. You don't have to put it in very far and it's quick :)

:nod I took Turbo's temp a few weeks ago because he seemed a little over-heated. Thankfully, we've got a digital and in a matter of seconds, he was done. He still gave me the "you violated me" face for a while, but it's much quicker than the mercury kind!

Oh, and a tip for taking rectal temps - hold up their tail so they don't try to sit down on it :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

and hold onto the thermometer! When I was in college I worked at a vets. I was taking a dog's temp and I turned around to do something. When I turned back the thermometer was getting sucked up inside the dog's butt and only an inch or so was still out! :eek this was a glass thermometer too.

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

They make a baby rectal thermometer that's 10 seconds for a reading. I think it's Vicks.

My vet's office uses an ear thermometer, and then will recheck with the rectal one if the reading seems off. :) A bit of lube on the rectal t. makes it easier... mineral oil, vasoline, KY, olive oil, etc. ;)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest boondog

I bought one of the digital infant ones. The package said something about "easy insertion"! :P It reads fast and the dogs don't really protest.

Edited by boondog

Guest Naty

Carolyn, in addition to the lube, also buy the plastic tip liners so easy clean-up after use.

Edited by Naty

Guest HersheysMom

Thanks everyone! I'm going to get a baby digital and have our vet clinic manager - the one who's been giving Hershey fluids at the house - come by and show me how to take it. I feel silly, but if he gets a fever after a treatment I'm apparently supposed to be rushing him to the evet, so I better darn well know how to take his temp correctly!

Guest nerak254
and hold onto the thermometer! When I was in college I worked at a vets. I was taking a dog's temp and I turned around to do something. When I turned back the thermometer was getting sucked up inside the dog's butt and only an inch or so was still out! :eek this was a glass thermometer too.

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl I've really had a crappy day and this makes the whole day better!

Guest Winterwish

I was just going to say that too! Hold on to it!

(altho' the digital's get wider beyond the insertion area now,probably for that very tendency of the glass ones)

Guest greyindy

I do not trust ear thermometers. They do not register accurately in myself, DD or DS#2. It will say we are normal while a old fashion one can show a fever of 100 or 101. I know many docs do not feel they are reliable in people.

Guest HersheysMom

Who-hoo! I just took his temp! I got a regular adult digital and we did hold onto it :lol I'm so proud of myself :rolleyes:

Wanted to get a "normal" temp. He's 99.6. Seems a tad low. He's not sick today though - he seems to feel great. Do greys for some reason run lower than other breeds? Or maybe it's because he's doing chemo?? I'll ask the oncologist about this tomorrow. Vet tech said they can run lower at night?

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

100 - 102 (some say 102.5) is normal

so 99.6 seems ok. It may be the calibration of the thermometer. :dunno

This is a true story. A few weeks ago one of the kennel hands at work was coughing, hacking and under the weather. I KID YOU NOT she asked where a thermometer was as she couldn't find one in either dog first aid kit. :puke:repuke

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest longdogs
This is a true story. A few weeks ago one of the kennel hands at work was coughing, hacking and under the weather. I KID YOU NOT she asked where a thermometer was as she couldn't find one in either dog first aid kit. :puke:repuke
She didn't say how she planned to use it though.

Guest Tigonie

I have never had to do the dog's temp, but I felt the same way about the kids. I got a 3 second thermometer that does rectal. Make sure the package says it's ok for rectal--I think I saw a digital that said it was oral only. I know you said you already got one, but double check it, just to be sure.

Oh, and get out a permanent marker and MARK the thermometer as RECTAL. Some people put just an R, but I want to make sure it's clear to everyone. :lol You probably want to write CANINE RECTAL, just in case. The instructions with at least one thermometer we have say that one that's used for rectal shouldn't be used for oral again. I would have thought it could be disinfected, but then I started thinking about it, and I figured that, for about $5-6 each, it really wasn't a problem to have multiples. ;)

Edited by Tigonie

She didn't say how she planned to use it though.

"tis true...but we didn't have any under the weather dogs.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I guess my angel, Bailey is the only dog that liked having her temperature taken? she used to do what we dubbed 'the thermometer dance'...all the vet techs would crack up!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I've been told by a vet ear ones are not accurate in dogs.

Buy a digital rectal thermometer. You don't have to put it in very far and it's quick :)

My vet uses an ear one and I know once did both ear adn rectal ... the temps were very similar (off by maybe .1). ?? Maybe some are better than others or we just got lucky !!

Cindy Missing my Thunder... Copper and Cowboy

siggy.jpg

GPA-Wisconsin

GPA-Wisconsin E-Bay Benefit Auctions