Palliative Radiation For Pain.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Oh, Kerri! Sending hugs and prayers out to Gus and to you.

I wonder how much it is similar in dogs as it is in humans? My best friend has cancer, and has been getting the radiation for pain. It has played havoc with her appetite. Some things taste different, some things she liked, she can't stand now. Sometimes she's not hungry at all. I'm wondering if Gus' appetite might be affected too.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest Ladyluther

Kerri,

I am so sorry to hear this...Gus is in the very best of caring and loving hands..Please give him a soft smooche from me and Luther

Martha

Oh, crud. Our plane leaves in about 10.5 hours. We'll see you tomorrow. Jeez, I'm sorry.

DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Thank you everyone for your input and experiences and thoughts.

I met with our primary vet today and got a fentanyl patch on Gus we've also got Gabapentin too. It's usually used for nerve pain,but works on different receptors than the fentanyl and metacam and tramadol. So, he'll be getting that up to 3 times per day.

She's also going to speak to the oncologist about palliative radiation. She's only read about it and encountered it as a student so she couldn't give much feedback. We did agree that most of the information that is out there shows the therapy being used on younger dogs and those without other underlying medical conditions. These are all things we need to consider. She also said it may take several treatments before any results are noticed.

Soooo... with that being said. Gus is on a Fentanyl patch atleast through the weekend, with all of the other meds too. On monday she will have more info about palliative radiation and proposed outcomes, reactions, etc. So, we'll go from there at that point.

Again, thank you all for your thoughts. I feel better about Gus today, than I did yesterday. Gus is feeling better too, with all sorts of drugs on board. :sad1 Poor guy.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
Oh, crud. Our plane leaves in about 10.5 hours. We'll see you tomorrow. Jeez, I'm sorry.

DD

We'll see you tomorrow. Nurse-dog is doing a wonderful job :wub: and of course Daisy is keeping me smiling with her non stop doe-eyes.

...we've also got Gabapentin too.

Gabapentin can throw off your equilibrium for a couple days when you first start using it. Keep that in mind if he looses his balance when getting up & down or looks a bit wobbly. The effect is temporary & goes away as the body adjusts. Hope the mads help him feel much more comfortable.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
...we've also got Gabapentin too.

Gabapentin can throw off your equilibrium for a couple days when you first start using it. Keep that in mind if he looses his balance when getting up & down or looks a bit wobbly. The effect is temporary & goes away as the body adjusts. Hope the mads help him feel much more comfortable.

Ahh, thank you.

(I'm sure you've saved my vet a frenzied telephone call from me)

Aw, Kerri, I'm so sorry to hear this about Gus.

You might post to Dr. Couto at OSU - he's very accessible to greyhound folks and could probably give you an educated but compassionate opinion. GH Health & Wellness Pgm OSU - bone cancer Dr. Couto

Fosamax may be of palliative benefit (see the OSU bone cancer article) - it's actually just come out in generic, but if you want to try it, PM me (I can get you samples). I've found, for pain management, that tramadol worked well without gorking them (I've had several osteo hounds). If tramadol didn't cut it anymore, I went to tylenol #3. I only tried the fentanyl patch once, and wouldn't do it again - it's tough to remove, and if the dog is overmedicated or too sedated to eat/drink, it takes quite a while for the fentanyl to wear off.

Remember, too, that XRT (radiation) requires general anesthesia, so you have to consider whether that's something Gus will be able to tolerate.

Be strong, and trust yourself to do what you know is right.

Jordan

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg