Monty Suddenly Limping On His Right Hind Leg/foot

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

This morning Monty woke up favoring his right hind leg or foot. He is limping on it and holds it up when standing. He did not run this weekend as playgroup was rained out, and we cannot identify anything that looks wrong on his foot or leg. He is not thrilled with me checking it but has no localized pain that I can see.

He looks so pitiful. I am sure it is nothing and will pass, but in the meantime would you medicate or not? I have Rimadyl, Tramodol, and one other pain med that I am blanking on right now.

After how many days would you go to the vet?

thanks!

Edited by greytmonty

Guest greytmonty
Checked for corns?

I looked at all the pads and they look normal, but I am not sure if I would recognize one if I saw it.

I will look again.

Take each toe and gently squeeze it (placing your fingers on each side of the toe). If he's got a corn a-brewin', he'll pull back.

Hope it's nothing serious!

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest greytmonty
Take each toe and gently squeeze it (placing your fingers on each side of the toe). If he's got a corn a-brewin', he'll pull back.

Hope it's nothing serious!

No pull back when I squeeze his pads.

I guess I will watch and wait.

Would you give something tonight if he is still sore?

Hmm. It probably wouldn't hurt to give him a rimadyl, but I don't like to give pain meds until I have a diagnoses. If you end up taking him to the vet, don't give him anything because it'll be harder for the vet to pinpoint the problem.

No idea what he could have done? For me, unexplained lameness gets a vet trip fairly quickly (as in, 2 or 3 days). If I *saw* Turbo do something that resulted in lameness, I give it a week to clear (provided, of course, there's no swelling, etc.).

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I would go the tramadol route. I am under the impression it has the least side effects and problems with other medications. If you give aspirin or anything else it may delay other medications if he needs it. I tend to give it 3 days. But if it is worse after one day, I take would take him in.

We will think good thoughts for you guys!

The Girls

What about ascriptin if you don't want to use the prescription meds?

Paul had a soft tissue injury and after two weeks on deramax he was fine. I was nervous as he woke up limping also.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Personally, I would not give any medication (so as not to mask any symptoms) and if things are no better by tomorrow, I'd get the vet to check things out. (But I'm a little sensitive to limps and the like...)

Hopefully though, Monty will be better after resting him for today :)

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I would lean towards the Tramadol as well vs the Rimadyl Rimadyl generally takes a few days where the Tramadol would act quickly. The last time my boy pulled a muscle, I loaded him up on Tramadol and took him to the vet the next morning. But what I ended up doing was masking the symptoms so the vet didn't see him in pain.I was lucky that time, and was right about it being a muscle pull but I wouldn't do it that way again. Vet first...pain meds second unless the vet isin't in the very next morning. Don't dismiss the use of a homeopathic remedy such as Traumeel.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I too would wait the 3 days and take him in if this is something that he has not had before. Prayers that it's nothing serious.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greytmonty

Mark and I checked him more thoroughly. There is a sensitive toe that, when squeezed lightly, causes him to pull his foot back. I cannot see any corns or punctures, I will keep an eye on it.

I gave him a Rimadyl tonight just so he can sleep ok and will keep an eye on him for a couple of days.

Mark and I checked him more thoroughly. There is a sensitive toe that, when squeezed lightly, causes him to pull his foot back. I cannot see any corns or punctures, I will keep an eye on it.

I gave him a Rimadyl tonight just so he can sleep ok and will keep an eye on him for a couple of days.

yeah, Turbo's corn is sometimes invisible. *sigh*

If it is a corn, rimadyl likely won't touch it, but tramadol may help since there's no inflamation (tramadol, as I'm sure you know, is an opioid, so it blocks pain receptors but doesn't actually treat the source of pain).

I hope Monty feels better real soon, bless his heart.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Guest greytmonty

yeah, Turbo's corn is sometimes invisible. *sigh*

If it is a corn, rimadyl likely won't touch it, but tramadol may help since there's no inflamation (tramadol, as I'm sure you know, is an opioid, so it blocks pain receptors but doesn't actually treat the source of pain).

I know there are two pain meds they cannot take together, is it Rimadyl and deramaxx, or Rimadyl and tramadol?

If it is a corn will we ever see it, or just need to go the vet and have her find it?

Tramadol is fine with rimadyl. You can't do corticosteroids with NSAIDS in greyhounds, and I guess you may run the risk of OD or something if you use multiple NSAIDs, but tramadol isn't an NSAID.

You may or may not see it.

DON'T use RIMYDAL with DERAMAXX. Tramadol is ok with either.

I wouldn't mask it, I'd take him in. It sounds inevitable if he is still in pain today.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest greytmonty

This morning he is a little better. Almost fine but then a slight limp. We are going to watch and wait.

On another subject, his vet food went up from $36 a bag to $50 a bag. OUCH!!!! I think I am limping from that! :eek

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greytmonty

Monty is limping again and the toe now looks quite red, sore, and swollen. he did not run on it since our last posting so it is not getting re-injured running. We have a vet appt on Saturday. fooey.

Guest greytmonty
Have you tried epsom salt? Soaking it in warm water and epsom salt may help draw anything out.

That is a good idea, I will do that tonight.

It doesn't obviously look like there a foreign body but who knows what is going on... I hope the vet can figure it out and doesn't need to x ray it.

Oh Monty, I thought you'd finally make it through a month without a vet visit. Really hoping it's nothing serious!

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)