Pet Insurance

Guest embarkguru

Guest GreytGoolyGee

Do any of you use pet insurance? I had Banfield once, but you don’t get to see the same doctor and you’re lucky if you find one that knows more that you do about Greys. I found a brochure about Pet Health Insurance. So, I’m wondering if any of you have tried anything like this.

Guest anneh

Most of them don't really cover much so you have to get one that will cover big claims as they are the claims we usually need help on. I went with embracepetinsurance and took the high deductible/20% copay/$10,000 coverage. Unfortunately one of my dogs just cost me thousands and because its a preexisting condition it won't be covered but I knew that, I like the company a lot though..

anneh

Do any of you use pet insurance? I had Banfield once, but you don’t get to see the same doctor and you’re lucky if you find one that knows more that you do about Greys. I found a brochure about Pet Health Insurance. So, I’m wondering if any of you have tried anything like this.

Guest greytelectric

I use ASPCA Insurance. Only to cover the "big stuff".

Guest sdaniw

We use Petcare. I have a $100.00 deductable on anything not prexisting I think up to $5000.00

I have used it for a cut on Maddie's foot and they were pretty fast with the check.

Guest HeatherDemps

No, but after going through osteo with Dempsey (diagnosis, amputation, chemo) and spending more on vet bills than I ever imagined possible, I sure wish I had it!

Sheila has PetCare, they were fantastic and paid all of her claims when she developed SARDS and lost her vision. No questions asked, every. They paid 70% of about $3000 in claims. Payment was prompt and one time they called to apologize because the check was delayed over the holidays. Nice people to work with.

Carl is with PetFirst. Unfortunately, PetCare's rates for purebreds were too steep for my pocketbook. I called them to see if they could work with me, but their hands were tied. I even tried to "educate" them...I told them what both vets I use have said - that racing greyhounds are one of the healthiest of purebreds because they've had most genetic/hereditary diseases and aggression bred out of them. It didn't work, so I went with PetFirst. I haven't needed to use it yet, but it had good reviews.

I know a lot of people here, and one of the vets I use, feel insurance isn't necessary, that it is enough to put the money aside in an interest bearing savings account. That just wouldn't work for me. And when Sheila was sick and the bills and vet ophthalmologist bills started rolling in I was grateful to have it. That year alone it paid for itself throughout the entire time I've had it.

Someone posted this link a few months ago, it helped me a lot - it's a good starting off place for research. Unfortunately, PetCare is not listed on it.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I have Petcare insurance on my 3 , I've had it for close to 7 years . My last claim was when Jeanie ate all that comforter stuffing and had to have emergency surgery . The final bill was $ 2463.00 . I received a cheque for $1680.00 for that claim . I put another claim in for when she was limping and had to have x-rays that bill came to over $300.00 . they denied the claim because it wasn't covered . We have Quick care plus which only covers certain disease and illness .

I use ASPCA Insurance. Only to cover the "big stuff".

Me too. Haven't made a claim yet, but VPI turned George down because his creatinine is "abnormal" (perfectly normal, really, but outside of their predetermined "normal" range).

ASPCA didn't ask for medical records, so I got policies for George and my Siamese cat.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of petplan? I have Garth microchipped. I finally got the form confirming the chip. Anyway, then sent me an application for pet insurance wi/ the website: gopetplan.com.

I have VPI and I think the premium increased 45% over last year.

I checked out Pet First which seems just fine!!!

But, this one looks very good too! It is underwritten by an A+ rated carrier and covers as follows:

$12,000 annual vet fees (middle plan)

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

About 3 weeks ago I came home and found that Carl somehow ended up with three mystery gashes, one on the left rear flank, one on the left side chest near his elbow and a third just below the base of his neck on the right shoulder. Two had be be stapled. All I can guess is that he ran into or caught himself on a branch or shrub (I went out in the yard and laid waste to most things pointy that were about 24" high).

Anyway, the vet bill was $187.50. I submitted it to Carl's new insurance, PetFirst, and they paid everything they said they would. After the $50.00 deductible they pay 90%. I'm getting a check for $123.75! I wondered if this insurance company was a good one, it gets good reviews and it isn't as dreadfully expensive as other policies. We're happy campers with it here!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Guest crazy4greys

Thanks! I was just going to post this exact question. I looked at VPI and they seem to cover everything, but I will look at Pet First also.

My vet recommended one, but I forget which one.

Thanks! I was just going to post this exact question. I looked at VPI and they seem to cover everything, but I will look at Pet First also.

It paid for about half of itself with this vet bill alone. Good deal. Here's the link if you want a quote: PetFirst

Edited by ckruzan

Guest crazy4greys

It paid for about half of itself with this vet bill alone. Good deal. Here's the link if you want a quote: PetFirst

I checked PetFirst. It says you can insure up to 3 pets, I have 4 greys. I will have to email them to see if I can add another one.

It does not look like they cover much for dentals either.

I use ASPCA and after a rocky start, I am totally loving them. With three cut paws and now staples a few days ago, it has paid for itself several times over between my two. They wouldn't do anything but accident insurance on Joe because of his past nose issues, but Daisy has both basic illness and accident. The accident insurance is only $9 a month and pays 80% after the $100 yearly deductible. I have been very happy with how every claim submitted has went.

Forever in my Heart Joe T Greyhound, Charly Bear, Angel Daisy, and Katze & Buzz Kitty.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hermione

We had VPI insurance for an emergency situation. When we had the unfortunate emergency on our little girl she had 4 hr surgery. It cost us almost $3000, but VPI considered them cuts and only gave us $120. So much for the emergency help.

Guest bonniesbullet

We have VPI and, for us, it has been worth every penny! It has more than proven and paid for itself and I recommend it for anyone who does not want to worry about paying for vet care. It paid 90% of every claim we have submitted. We have the superior plan.

Guest Maisy4

We have the ASPCA ins. but we haven't had to use it yet. There are different tiers of coverage. I think ours is around $32 per moths with a $100 deductable. Then is covers 80%. It covers a yearly exam and some vacinations. I think its $5K per incident and 11K per year max.

Guest crazy4greys
We have VPI and, for us, it has been worth every penny! It has more than proven and paid for itself and I recommend it for anyone who does not want to worry about paying for vet care. It paid 90% of every claim we have submitted. We have the superior plan.

I think that is the one I am going to do. The superior plan covers more.