Flea Prevention

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Does anyone have any suggestions? Frontline is not an option for Gus. We'll be using a preventic collar for ticks, but we're short on ideas for fleas. We've never had an infestation, and I don't want to find out what it is like to have one.

Neems oil was a suggestion, but it doesn't seem like it will actually be effective for any amount of time other than immediate removal.

So, anyone have any experience or am I just going to have to watch for them and bathe Gus often?

I assume you mean you can't use anything similar to frontline like advantix or revolution? I would just make sure you treat your house and wash Gus's bedding regularly. Good luck!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest vahoundlover

I've read that Apple Cider Vinegar the kind that is not processed?? works. Just put in a spray bottle and apply regularly...I've never tried it so I can't say for sure if it really will work.

Guest lat41065

food grade diatomaceous earth. i have one that is very allergic to topicals and i sprinkle it on the dog beds they lay in it and get a thin coating of it therefore killing fleas. I also use it as the primary source of flea control in the yard, its unbelievable how effective it is. It will kill any insect with a hard body. I buy mine on ebay but there are many places to get it. also i dont use the food grade in the yard i get it from the feed store.

Good luck,

Lesley Tierney

GPA LA

Transitional kennel

I thought I'd read NOT to use tick collars on Greyhounds? Am I wrong?

AAGI (second largest adoption group in the country) says Preventic is OK:

http://www.arizonaadoptagreyhound.org/health/ticked.html

Googling for Preventic and greyhound comes up with a number of groups who say Preventic is safe. The active ingredient (amitraz) paralyzes the feeding mouthparts of ticks- no effect on fleas. Some other formulations use compounds that are unsafe.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest greyvettech

If you can't use a topical on him there is a new product called Comfortis..I cannot say enough good things about it -It is very effective..It is a beef flavored chewable tablet that lasts thirty days and begins killing the fleas within 45 minutes..It is great!! My greys had no side effects.. and it's been 45 days later, and still no fleas!!!!- Preventic tick collars work great to prevent ticks from attaching and they are safe to use on greys:)

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Thank you for your replies. I'll check capstar and comfortis. I just need to avoid anything that can potentially affect the nervous system. I'll print out their product guides and review further. Thank you!

If not, it sounds like DE and lots of bed washing. :)

Guest longdogs

Not all topicals are the same, is there any reason why Advantage / Revolution / Advocate etc are are also excluded? Comfortis is something new so I have no commments. Capstar is excellent at killing fleas but does not prevent them. Does your dog need constant flea protection? I just deal with fleas on the rare occasion my dogs pick them up. Preventic collars are fine if your dog is in a tick-infested area.

Almost forgot- there are beneficial nematodes for spraying on the yard to keep populations down.

I know Gardens Alive sells beneficial nematodes. Gardens Alive

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

Are you sure he can't have Frontline or Advantage? It takes a lot of either one to adversely affect a mammal -- the dosage for each pet is teensy.

Capstar is an oral med that quickly kills adult fleas on the animal.

The "natural" products don't work, except to empty your pocket and enrich someone else's bank account. Save your money.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greyvettech
Thank you for your replies. I'll check capstar and comfortis. I just need to avoid anything that can potentially affect the nervous system. I'll print out their product guides and review further. Thank you!

If not, it sounds like DE and lots of bed washing. :)

Yes-I wasn't sure why you couldn't use a topical on him... but def check comfortis..even though it works great, it is not suggested to give to dogs that have had or are having seizures wether it is managed with meds or not......

Um, you don't really want to be breathing diatomaceous earth dust on a regular basis, and you don't want your dog breathing it either. Not real good for the airways and lungs.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
Um, you don't really want to be breathing diatomaceous earth dust on a regular basis, and you don't want your dog breathing it either. Not real good for the airways and lungs.

Thanks Batmom, after researching DE, I did read that it is no good for the mucosal linings nor the lungs, so DE is out.

Unfortunately due to Gus's neurologic decline, the neurologist wants us to avoid any flea topicals until we can get him stabilized. So, after reading all of the inserts, it looks like lots of bed washing and bathing.

Thank you all for your input.

Guest fountainpengwen

Capstar only kills fleas for 24 hours.

Comfortis sounds like a good option. We had a drug rep leave samples for us, and my hounds refused to eat it after the first month. Most dogs seem to like it just fine, but as a warning, maybe you don't want to buy a large supply until you see if Gus likes it or not. :) (Clifford looked like he was about to have a sneezing fit when I offered it to him last month, and Fenny took one bite and left the rest on her bed.)

My mom is unable to use frontline or revolution on her dogs. She uses Capstar.

No idea what it is or how to get it, but that's what she uses.

Capstar, from what I know, is a pill that kills the fleas ON the dog. Dead - witin minutes. It's vet-prescribed. An effective, immediate killer. The downside is - if the dog's been in a house, the fleas probably jumped off and are breeding in the house. And, it doesn't prevent a flea from making itself at home 2 hours later.

The use I know of for Capstar is : You have fleas on your dogs and in your home. Take the dogs out of your house- bomb the house to kill the fleas in the house, and Capstar the dogs to kill the fleas on the dogs so they don't re-infest the house. Effective.

It's not a deterrant, or a long- term solution- it's a one-time killer bomb.

If it works for her that's awesome. She's obviously very on-top-of the issue. Dealing with the FIRST flea to jump on. But MOST people don't notice the first flea on a dog, so- by the time they notice, they're in the house, and need a more full-spectrum cure.

If I were to pick up a stray, and bring it home - it would DEFINATELY get a Capstar before it walked in my door. Kill off anyting it might be carrying. My vet would sell me a Capstar without a "vet visit". If I called and said I wanted one - just pick it up, pay, and done.

Guest freightsmom

I also recommend Comfortis. We live in Florida so there is no off season for bugs pretty much. Our vet recommended this for flea control because the county we live in is notorius for flea and tick problems. So far, not one flea! Freight goes out several times a day and lays all over the backyard so there's ample opportunity for the little buggers to hop on.

Guest charmsmom

We use Sentinel here, and our dogs have NO fleas. It's combined with the heartworm preventive, so it's one less thing to worry about.