Update On Peppers Toe

Thank you all for your kind thoughts ,unfortunately the vet said the infection was to severe and he amputated the toe.i am beating myself up at the moment as i feel i should have done more to save my boy from this pain. initially the vet said open it up and clean it out,but it was worse than he thought,but then pepper never did things by half.

Don't beat yourself up...how could you have known? You're not a vet.I know that's easier said than done.Lets just hope that he heals quickly. We'll keep your boy in our prayers.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest BlackandBrindle

Sadie has a missing toe and does just fine without it. The recovery, is apparently much shorter for an amputation. (I have no first hand knowledge because Sadie came home without the toe ;) )

I hope Pepper feels better quickly, and don't beat yourself up. You've been doing all you can and he's going to be just fine!

Pepper doesn't want you to feel bad! Once his pain is gone he'll forget all about it.

Get well soon, Pepper.

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

Aw poor Pepper. I hope he heals up fast & that he'll feel lots better without his bum toe. That way, we can get some more :digicam

Get well soon Pepper! :getwell

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Snowy8

Peter, don't beat yourself up over this. They don't take their "limbs" personally...he won't even notice the toe is gone. I'm just glad you caught it !!!

OMG! Poor Pep. His toe didn't look all that bad when I saw him on Sunday. I hope he makes a quick recovery, at least the toe won't cause him any more trouble now it's gone. Don't feel bad Peter, I would never have thought it was that bad from looking at him. :grouphug

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Aw poor Pepper. I hope he heals up fast & that he'll feel lots better without his bum toe. That way, we can get some more :digicam

Get well soon Pepper! :getwell

pepper was a bit drousy and dopey yesterday from the anasthetic,he is a bit better today,we will be back at vets saturday,for a change of dressing20308001.jpg

Isuppose one might call this patient recovery position :rolleyes:

Glad he is home and doing well!

There've been more than a few threads here over the years, from folks who tried for months to clear an infected toe and ended up amputating. Sometimes it's much easier on everybody, even tho it seems kinda gross to us.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Flint

Pepper doesn't seem to miss the toe one bit! I suppose they do tell you to elevate an injured limb so he's doing his part to speed the recovery.

Guest Snowy8

Sadie-Grey lost a toe to infection at 12, and Brogan lost a toe to infection at about 12...neither of them noticed it. Careful though, I think Pipi-Francine was going to send Pepper an email about dragging the leg & pretending he needed more treats to make him feel better. :hehe

Tess lost two toes and about as soon as the stitches came out she forgot to limp and look sad. We just kept socks on her feet until the bandages came off , to keep them dry. It was in Dec. that she lost them. She doesn't even miss them. They were removed at the same time.

Guest CyndiW

Pepper doesn't seem to mind losing the toe one bit. He probably feels much better without the infection. He is a very handsome boy (even in a compromised position)!

Hi GTers,just a ouick update on pepper`toe.we took pepper to the vets today to have the dressing changed, unfortunatly pep was having none of it,he would not let the vetinery nurse touch it.we tried yummy treats,to no avail,then the dreaded muzzle,and finally sedation from the vet :rolleyes: it was all very stressful for poor pep,however the foot`s looking okay has been redressed till tuesday.

Guest EmbersDad

ember had a toe amputated a little over a month ago. she was playing with her toys 2 days after coming home. i had about 2 seconds of guilt until i saw her playing. you now cant even tell it was amputated. i hope the healing is the same for pepper.

Guest Snowy8

Peter how's Pepper doing today? The day I brought both Sadie & Brogan home, even though they had bandages on, they got outside & ran & played....

Snowy had to have a toenail amputated about 5 yrs ago & when she came home, you couldn't even tell anything was missing.

Peter how's Pepper doing today? The day I brought both Sadie & Brogan home, even though they had bandages on, they got outside & ran & played....

Snowy had to have a toenail amputated about 5 yrs ago & when she came home, you couldn't even tell anything was missing.

peppper had the dressing changed today.he had to be sedated. and is struggling to walk at the moment,he only goes outside for potty breaks. but the foot is looking good,oh and i will post some pics of your lil buddy later hil!

don't beat yourself up. toes are really tricky. when loca broke her toe, it took twice as long to heal as her broken leg and it also kept getting infected. in retrospect, i wish we had just amputated it :)

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.