Colitis, I'm Babysitting And Poor Little Girl Is Sooo Sick!

:( little girl Zoie has squirty, bloody, diarrhea! and i am babysitting! They trusted me with their babies, and now this!! Poor little thing!

I called mom and dad ~ not the kind of phone update i like to give!

The parents totally understand! and appreciate my fast action of taking their baby to the vet, having the stool sample tested, prescription filled, even an afternoon stay at the vet (cause the uncontrollable squirts were toooooo much for me to handle :eek ) mom and dad are coming home tonight. and they got the update as they boarded the plane! :blush

I just feel soo bad for the little thing!

and i want to know,,,,,, if you go on vacation, and your babysitter calls with an update like this,,,,,,

do you

second guess them and wish they had done something different,,,,?

or

do you love your babysitter, no matter what, cause they are only doing what they do for their own doggies.....

dumb question,, but,,i'm feeling so guilty! personally, I did what I would want my babysitter to do,,, but maybe not everyone feels that way!???

these are good friends, and they know i did the right thing,,, I just don't think i've ever given babysitters enough information to do this with my kids if the need were to arise... note to self,, update the babysitter instruction manual! :rolleyes:

so, thought for the day:

Love your babysitter, and give them permission to act responsibly! so, i just answered my own question didn't i! :blush

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

I'm sorry you are going through this. Please don't second guess yourself! I'm sure they were glad to have gotten the call, especially since you acted quickly and got their baby taken care of. Things happen, and all we want is to make sure our babies are cared for when we're gone. You obviously did that, and did it well! :)

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

You done good. :)

If vet money is an issue, just have something worked out before you dogsit again.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest sheila

Did these ppl give you full instructions on what/how/when she is fed? Did they indicate at all that she has tendencies for bouts of colitis in the past? Or did you just have to wing it? That is more the line I would be questioning is if they left me prepared for what might happen.

You did the right thing and you know that! Your friends trusted you to do what is best in case of an accident/illness or they would not have left their little girl with you! You did good! :):grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

You did the right thing. Do her owners know when her colitis flares up? It can become an issue if they are stressed which is possible in this situation, a strange house, strange person taking care of her.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Thanks everyone!

I think this is the 1st episode of colitis for her.

I did have the name and phone # of their prefered vet. (with the assumtion everything would be fine)

I just spent the afternoon writing up a new itemized,, detailed instructions for my babysitters. Mine was really out of date, I actually have changed vets, and have different contact phone numbers etc.... It was a good wake up call for me to get my own instructions in order.

The parents are on their way home, and when i talked with them last they were very thankful that i acted in the best interest for their baby!

I hope she recovers FAST!!

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Maybe she was just stressed; I bet it wasn't your fault at all. I can only imagine how stressed you must feel! We recently lost our Cullen and our other hound, Rita, got so stressed she got the same kind of colitis. She's getting over it as I type!

Marcia

When we leave our dog with someone, we write a note that says "I give NAME permission to initiate emergency vet care until I can be reached at 999-999-9999 to make further decisions. At this time, I will also supply my credit card number for payment." And then we sign it and put in any contact info that we have.

My first dog was acting tired and a bit lame, so we started her on lyme disease treatment, and then had to leave for a wedding. My roommate was watching her for us, but one night Sophie collapsed and she had to rush her to the e-vet. She ended up having a horrific cancer, but we were able to fly home the next day and get her into surgery. She died about 2 weeks later, but I am so thankful to my roommate, and never doubted her for a minute. My roommate remembered to take my note the e-vet and they called me immediately, got Sophie stabilized and started treatments.

So don't worry--I'm sure your friends are just glad you were there to act responsibly!

"Mrs. Bass was a poor teacher, a phrase which here does not mean "a teacher who doesn't have a lot of money" but "a teacher who is obsessed with the metric system." --Lemony Snicket

"Do you want to convert from the hydrocarbon economy to the carbohydrate economy?" --Rep. Jim Oberstar

You did the right thing, I would want my babysitter to do the same. :colgate I always leave the number to the vet and write all instructions down so their is no second guessing.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Almost exactly the same happened when we left Renie and Jim in kennels one time. The only difference was, we'd already flown home and were due to pick her up that same day (after a trans-Atlantic flight we always arrange to get them next day in case of flight delays etc. and it gives us a chance to sleep). We got the call in the morning to say did we want her to take Renie to her own vet that morning, or wait to get her and take her to our own vet that afternoon and we opted to pick her up early and take her to ours.

Anyway, Jim, the old guy was fine, Renie, the new young girl - I thought she was going to die! She was producing horrible big puddles of beetroot red pulpy stuff from both ends and she looked terrible, even though it had only just started. She was fine within a week or so and it's never happened again. I assume in this case it was stress, or maybe she got a bad tin, and Jim didn't eat any. :dunno

I certainly didn't blame Clare, who I continued to trust with my dogs until she closed her business last year.

The only time I've been pissed at a kennel when I've left my dogs and they've become sick or hurt themselves is when they DON'T ring and tell me - or in one particularly bad case, didn't even notice. I don't care how far away I am, I don't care if I'm on holiday, I've left instructions to be rung if anything happens and I darned well EXPECT to be rung. :angry:

You did fine. :nod Chances are it won't happen again to this little girl either. We can hope so, anyway. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest FullMetalFrank

Wow, poor baby and poor you! Your post made me realize that I need a written dog-sitter protocol (I never leave Frank with anyone but my step-daughter but even she does not know all the particulars!) Something with e-vet contact info, regular vet, insurance forms, copy of latest vaccinations, etc.

Guest vahoundlover

You did good! Hope Zoie feels better soon!

The note for the E-Vet is a good idea! I will be adding this to our *babysitting packets*

Wow, poor baby and poor you! Your post made me realize that I need a written dog-sitter protocol (I never leave Frank with anyone but my step-daughter but even she does not know all the particulars!) Something with e-vet contact info, regular vet, insurance forms, copy of latest vaccinations, etc.

This is exactly why I wrote the thread!

It was a good wake up call for me as I couldn't believe that I was soo un-organized about this for my own dogs!

My old ones each have a page written about them,,,,, :blush not that i'm picky about how my kids are taken care of or anything :rolleyes:

Guest IrskasMom

How is that poor Baby tonight ??? Yes ... when I go to Europe , I give my Boys Caretaker ( has 8 Greyhounds herself)

all Copies of Vaccination Records , Medicin and total Power of Atterney to take my Boy to the E-Vet if neccesary .

All Phone-Numbers from Family around us for Help if needed. It's a good Thing to do.

Guest md7nd

I know I would be thankful and you would be added to my Christmas list ;)

But a few questions.... what was the "horrible big puddles of beetroot red pulpy stuff from both ends"? Is this a female thing? Sorry, not meaning anything by that but somethings can be....anyways!

2) whats colitis?

3) Can I get a sitters checklist?

B)

I hope I dont ever need one....but I'm learning so much so fast my bookmarker is asking for payments...

Matt

But a few questions.... what was the "horrible big puddles of beetroot red pulpy stuff from both ends"? Is this a female thing? Sorry, not meaning anything by that but somethings can be....anyways!

That was me, talking about Renie. No, not a female thing, just vomiting beetroot red pulpy stuff and pooping it out. :(

2) whats colitis?

Here's a description of colitis -

Colitis in the Dog

To be clear, what Renie had was haemorrhagic gastro-enteritis. It can be difficult for a lay person to know the difference, but clearly if they're vomiting blood as well as pooping blood, it's likely to be that rather than a simple colitis.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest spider9174

I will preface my answer with the fact that I owned horses for a very long time and boarded them, so I had to trust the person who owned and ran the barn.

First...if I leave my pup in the care of someone, I have to trust him/her to make the best possible decisions.

Second...I always ask questions, but never question the ability of the person who is caing for them. If I did, or started to, then I wouldn't leave my animals in their care.

So...would I question you if this happened to my pup and you were taking care? NO! You did the absolute right thing. I would question you if you didn't do anything at all. I believe that a person should err on the side of caution rather than ignore a possibly bigger problem.

Pup-date...

She's feeling soo much better, the diarrhea is all but stoped thanks to the medicine they put her on!

the yuckie part, now is that the fecal sample came back with HookWorms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :puke

all my doggies are now undergoing de-worming stuff just in case it was passed on to mine.

on a side note:

I also had a dog go thru the Hemoragic, gastro-entinitis (sp) it is MUCH worse than this colitis bloody diarrhea stuff.. so when i saw it, i pretty much new colitis, but wanted to get her on meds ASAP,, and the IV to replace fluids is also very important!!!

Thanks for all your support! it really helps!

:P