Sun Burn

We recently noticed that King has a spot just above his nose about 2 inches long that is very pink. See pictures below. His hair is light there and we live in South FL so I guess it is possible. Has anyone ever had a greyhound with a sun burn? :huh Any thoughts about what it might be or what to do with it are greatly appreciated!

KingsNose2.jpgKingsNose1.jpgKingsNose3.jpgKingsNose4.jpg

gallery_16678_2973_7526.jpg

TNT Star Wars X Oshkosh Enigma King's Pedigree
King's sisters: Oshkosh Updraft, Dazie and forever in our hearts Oshkosh Ultra, Lily (3/7/03-2/18/13)

We live in Florida also. Put suntan lotion on her, especially the white ones. We try to keep them out of the sun, wear a shirt and hat if possible, the greyhound

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Yup, very possible. We used to have to put lotion on horses with white on their faces.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest Emma0422

Yup. Looks like sunburn. We also use baby sunscreen on our girls. Lexi is white and always gets a red nose and red belly. She loves to roach in the grass, so we always lotion her up.

Yep, that looks like it. Our Tess likes to tan on all 4 sides and her belly gets pretty red and we have had to have spots removed from the tummy area , that could have been skin cancer, thank goodness they weren't yet. Now we use kids coppertone in the spray can. Works like a champ. No surgeries for 2 years now. So we think it's great stuff. She thinks we're nuts spraying her belly but she really doesn't mind.

I always used the kids sun block, since their is already a sun burn I would use some aloe.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I always used the kids sun block, since their is already a sun burn I would use some aloe.

You're right, I posted what to do to avoid it, but never suggested what to do once it's happened.Sorry, Aloe is a great idea

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Thanks for the input everyone! :D My husband put some aloe on his snout tonight and we'll buy some strong kids suncreen asap. I'll also buy some in the spray bottle incase we think his belly needs it, seems like the spray would be easier to use on the belly...

gallery_16678_2973_7526.jpg

TNT Star Wars X Oshkosh Enigma King's Pedigree
King's sisters: Oshkosh Updraft, Dazie and forever in our hearts Oshkosh Ultra, Lily (3/7/03-2/18/13)

Guest anjeli

So do you have to wash the sunscreen off everytime? And do you sunscreen the whole dog or just the nose and belly? We got our dog last week and she has a fairly red nose (she's white with black spots).

They usually rub it off throughout the day on the grass. I just spray it on the tummy and nose and leave it. Most of the time I apply it twice a day because Tess is such a bathing beauty. She will go sun no matter the temp and stay about a 1/2an hour then come back in. That seems to work for her. By the way she is white and brindle. I use the spray because it is easier to apply and she will even move her leg for me to get to her tummy.

Thanks for the input everyone! :D My husband put some aloe on his snout tonight and we'll buy some strong kids suncreen asap. I'll also buy some in the spray bottle incase we think his belly needs it, seems like the spray would be easier to use on the belly...

Buy Bullfrog. We use that on the bike and it rocks. While I don't have dogs with too much white, we never leave our dogs outside much longer than 5 or 10 minutes, especially in the summer.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****