Chafing?

Guest sweetpea

Guest sweetpea

First of all, this is a little embarrassing for Sweetpea.

IMG_1322.jpg

She seems to be chafing, on her inner, upper thigh, like so

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

It's not hot, or moist,

just red and slightly raised.

It seems to have developed over the past week to 10 days.

Nothing new in her diet, no recent bath (so, no soap residue)

Any ideas? (Either for it's cause or it's cure)

Thanks for any help

Buzzy

and the lovely and humiliated Sweetpea

Might want to give a quick wipe with diluted nolvasan (or similar disinfectant) twice a day. Pat dry. See vet if it gets worse.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest gomiesmom

Gomie (male) has Ummmmmmm... spots on/near his "Pee-Pee"in the summer. I asked the adoption group director and she said she's never seen. Could it be an alergy to grass if laying down,etc. Well, he doesn't lay down outside..... Any way, it starts out looking like brown dirt in pores ( but not exactly blackheads) then he'll get some red bumps.

I found, cleansing with mild conditioning shampoo and a soft cloth, then rinsing, then using Gold Bond Medicated Powder worked for him. It became an every- other morning ritual this past summer, not the most pleasant thing for me, but you do what needs to be done, right. It did help some. I still have no idea what it is. I didn't think dogs sweat, but I swear sometimes after he's done zoomies around the yard, he feels damp.Maybe my imagination..... maybe it's not sweat causing the bumps, maybe heat, I don't know, but the cleansing and powdering seems to help. Again, his is only in the summer.

Hope this helps you.

I would second the cleaning with something gentle, drying thoroughly, and I would probably try a tiny bit of OTC cortisone cream--there isn't enough of anything in it to hurt her (I've used it many times with my vet's blessing), but it should take care of any itch and the bumps. Usually at the drug store in a 5% solution and marketed as anti-itch cream.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I have used Destin on Sophie for the chafing and it worked GREAT! It is also very gentle it is for babies so I felt safe using it. I hope she gets better real soon. Bless her little heart.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Personally I'd clean the area - maybe with witch-hazel, if I had that to hand, dry it, and then apply Sudocrem. That's intended primarily for nappy rash and although it's a UK product there must be a US equivalent! It's very mild but effective, because it's greasy enough to stay put and act as a barrier preventing further chafing while the soothing ingredients get to work. I remember the RGT kennels I adopted Doc from recommending it to me for a pink spot on the point of his chest, soon after I adopted him. They also said to put it on just before I walked him - to give it a chance to soak in before he started licking it off again!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Fenway had a rash like that last summer and it turned out to be a staph infection. Meds from the vet cleared it right up. I'd try the cleaning first, and give it 7-10 days or so....if it doesn't get better, or if it gets worse, head on over to the vet. Is she licking that area at all?

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Guest sweetpea

No, she doesn't seem to be concerned about it at all,

at least not until I posted it on here and the whole world got to see her nethers.

I've got frequent flier miles at our vet now, between the cat and the dog and my

neuroses, I should probably have a standing Thursday afternoon appointment every week.

Buzzy

I've got frequent flier miles at our vet now, between the cat and the dog and my

neuroses, I should probably have a standing Thursday afternoon appointment every week.

Buzzy

:nod

You too, huh? I'm going to propose a frequent buyer punch card next time I'm at the vet. That would be Wednesday! I love my vet, but I don't want to see him for a long, long time. Luckily this week's visit is for big boy shots for Fenway....and then I'm going to restart the count down. I think the longest I've gone between visits since I added #2 a year ago was about 2 months. :rolleyes: Come on kids, lets see if we can make it three months this time!

Sweetpea, I hope your rash goes away soon and that you don't have to go to the vet.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)