Sam's Limping

Just seeing this now...come on Sam, don't scare your mom!

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow...it's just so unnerving when our kids aren't feeling well :grouphug

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TriciasZoo

We're back with a clean as a whistle X-Ray. Not even arthritis,so whatever it is, is likely soft tissue. He also has that issue with his nose, that we thought was coming just from the stress-licking. They think that MIGHT be auto-immune. So between the two issues we could go with a bunch of expensive bloodwork, or do what we are going to do, TRY some prednisone for four weeks, and follow-up. The first two weeks at 45 mg x 2, the second two weeks at 45 mg x 1. So we're taking the conservative approach and watching. I'm aware of the prednisone issues, and honestly I am going to sleep on it before I start him on it. I had to see the other vet today, so I may go as far as calling Dr. B tomorrow and getting HIS opinion. I'm sorry. I just feel like if it's not done by Dr. B it's not the same. Thank you everyone.

The power of Greytalk prayers win again!!!!

Fantastic news! I can honestly say...we really had no major issues with pred at all. Angels Sophia and Lacey were both on it and Cody Angelo has been on it for over 2 years now for his lung issues. I am so happy that all is well with Sam as far as his x-rays...hug that handsome boy for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I just saw this, but I'm so glad the X-Rays were clean. :grouphug I hope Sam milks this for all the cookies it's worth.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest TriciasZoo
Fantastic news! I can honestly say...we really had no major issues with pred at all. Angels Sophia and Lacey were both on it and Cody Angelo has been on it for over 2 years now for his lung issues. I am so happy that all is well with Sam as far as his x-rays...hug that handsome boy for me. :grouphug

Thanks for the reassurance on that issue Patti. I'll still sleep on it. :)

Wonderful news on the x-ray!

Pred is hit or miss on autoimmune. It really depends on the hound, some respond to it, other's don't.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

:yay for clear xrays!!!

Pinky's on a course of pred right now for her lupus flare she's been having. I do the burst and taper of dosage rather than frequency. Last week she was on 20 mg (just once a day)...now she's on 15, will go to 10 next week, then I'll finish the meds giving her 5 mg. She has always tolerated it just fine, have never had her have a tummy issue from it at all, and I don't even give her pepcid or anything beforehand. She gets it in the morning after breakfast, on a dollup of peanut butter right along with all of her other pills (tetracycline, vitamin e, niacinamide, and omega 3s).

When Pinky has a bad flare and it's so bad that she starts losing toenails again, the pred is the only thing that will calm it down for her.

But, if Sam's nosey is lookin pretty awful a 45 mg dose is justified, but to me (and this is just my opinion!) 45 mg twice a day is quite a bit. I was on 30mg twice a day when I had my last lupus flare and it made me bonkers.

If it were me, I'd do:

45mg daily for 7 days

30 mg daily for 5 days

20 mg daily for 5 days

10 mg daily for 5 days

5 mg daily for 5 days

PM me if you want to talk. There's a lot of ppl here with lupus dogs but they all present differently. If that's what Sam's got going on, it sounds a lot like Pinky's situation. I think MomofSweetPotatoes's boy has a nose issue too but he's also got the really tough systemic probs too.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest TriciasZoo

I have another vet who recommended tetracycline, vitamin e, niacinamide. She felt it would be much easier on him than the pred. But I'm still not convinced it's anything more than his anxiety response to lick his nose, as it's healing with Vit. E ointment,and just a little crustiness is left along the top.

I have another vet who recommended tetracycline, vitamin e, niacinamide. She felt it would be much easier on him than the pred. But I'm still not convinced it's anything more than his anxiety response to lick his nose, as it's healing with Vit. E ointment,and just a little crustiness is left along the top.